Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
tunicreate

Where to place the printer?

Hello,

I'm preparing to buy a 3D printer, and I think it'll be the Ultimaker 2+. It'll be installed on a Lower ground floor -2, on which there is not too much of air, with a smoke detector.

My question is: can I use the Ultimaker 2+ in such conditions? Or do it need to be on a ventilated area?

Thanks in advance :)

I would highly recommend to put it in an ventilated area if you are going to print with ABS, and if you are going to be in the same room. It shouldn't generate any smoke for the smoke detector so I wouldn't worry about that.

What is the room temperature in that room?

What materials are you generally planning on using?

My workplace is somewhere else. The printer is placed there because it needs to be accessible by many people (students). So when someone want to print something, he needs to go physically to -2 and use the computer connected to the printer.

I hope I answered your question :)

Yes but it's pretty minor. I wouldn't want to print ABS and sit next to it but the most common material, PLA, is pretty mild. It depends how sensitive you are. I must be sensitive because ABS makes me a bit nauseous. PLA I could smell all day long. It's a tiny bit like popcorn but not really.

lol. yeah that filament - everyone remembers the smell but it's main selling point is supposed to be that you can bake it and now it's high temp PLA that can withstand boiling water. Anyway that filament smells like a combination of caramel and PLA. It's a nice smell though!