Steps per mm

Posted · Steps per mm

Hi guys and gals,

I need to know the steps per MM for all axis and feeder for the Ultimaker 2+

I use simplify3D and they don't have a profile for the plus so I've been using the std UM2 profile. All my prints seem to be 1mm smaller (using 0.25 nozzle)

The parts have a fantastic finish but size is an issue.

Any one able to help?

Posted (edited) · Steps per mm

Just wondering what has to do the steps with using s3d??

Btw steps per mm might not have nothing to do with that since um2 machines use gt2 80steps for x/y.

The size difference can be just because filament contracts when cools down, some filaments more than others. Also there's a different in size for holes than for exteriors due filament deposition. Print some cubes for each filament/temp used and design profiles to compensate the design.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Steps per mm

S3D printer profiles setup include steps per/MM

If the ratios have changed within the mechanism of the printer between 2 and 2+ then it would have an effect. I've never had a problem to this degree with ABS. I know it shrinks but never had this much.

Posted · Steps per mm

No. S3D uses that for speed. S3D does nothing to steps. Steps for the motors are set by firmware or specific gcodes. You can change the speed to mm/s on the preferences menu of s3d.

Posted · Steps per mm

Just wondering. Are you using auto settings on s3d. And what's your extrusion ratio and extrusion width ?

Posted · Steps per mm

Nope I don't use auto settings.

image.thumb.jpeg.cae98bec8c308a1757f474dbf809a4d2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b600b0c4aa096d998ac0cc80f1aae8c4.jpeg

Basically it's extrusion multiplier is at 0.9

Width 0.25

Speed adjusted manually

image.thumb.jpeg.cae98bec8c308a1757f474dbf809a4d2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b600b0c4aa096d998ac0cc80f1aae8c4.jpeg

Posted · Steps per mm

I'd say setting the extrusion multiplier to 1.0 will fix the problem

Posted · Steps per mm

Indeed. But he need's that probably because he has 2.9 as filament diameter and not 2.85.

I always use the correct filament size and 1.0x extrusion multiplier.

Posted · Steps per mm

So to compensate for the increase in size I've got to extrude more?

Posted · Steps per mm

Well no. If you use 2.85 and tou se 2.9 you are over extruding but because you use a 0.9x multiplier it should be ok. To adjust that it's better just to use real numbers. Set multiplier to 1 and the filament size to the real size.

Also a img of the print could help.

Posted · Steps per mm

I use a micrometer to measure the diameter each new reel, then set it to that.

Posted · Steps per mm

I've used s3d for 2 years now on a Wanhao D4S and am pretty comfortable with the software.

Using an extrusion multiplier of 1.0 a measured filament diameter of 2.95mm

Extrusion width of 100%

I get this on a 20x20mm hollow cube.

image.thumb.jpg.ba302613dd2eb45b78710041949fbbdc.jpg

You can see it mushrooming indicating over extrusion.

image.thumb.jpg.ba302613dd2eb45b78710041949fbbdc.jpg

Posted · Steps per mm

Over extrusion can happen also if you print toohot + too slow. Notice that because the bowden preassure the speed at what the filament can go out its different on each temp. So even when people use to fix that with flow, it's more complex.

What I did to get a base to work when I use a new filament it's to print cubes. And then tou can adjust the flow or find your good speed. It's a matter of trial error.

Btw the corners of that print look brow-ish, that the first sign of the temp being too hot or toohot+slow.

Posted (edited) · Steps per mm

I see now. The speed base its 30mm/s, the area it's small and you need to telll us what temp you set. I see this it's a classic too hot too slow + small area. That makes the printed stuff to keep getting hot and hot, and going brown. I would print cooler to start. Also since its 0.25 nozzle it takes more time to print the same. Print faster or much cooler. The size variation can be simply because the heat makes it slurry and it expands more. ABS needs heat stability but also too much heat can ruin it.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Steps per mm

Alternatively you could use a bit of fan, specially if it's all that small. You will need to play with the settings to find the perfect spot.