UM2+ not working

slouchcorp

Posted · UM2+ not working

Hey new here I got my UM2+ yesterday, and have not managed to get it to print, after setup i tried to do the UM bot

and the print before i aborted it was just a mess of dots.

iv re-callibrated it about 4 times, iv removed and tried the manual unblocking that got any filament out and it was flowing fine. but if i try and print now nothing comes out at all?

any clues has any one had a dud machine?

cheers

Mike

Hi Mike, and welcome to the forum.

Could you please post a photo? It is hard otherwise to diagnose the problem. And if possible do state your print settings (slicing with Cura I guess).

Hi There,

Nothing to take a pic of just the machine working but nothing extruding.

RE settings I'm using the robot that comes on the SD card as a first test. well thats what i did try. so that comes preset?

cheers

Mike

Hi Darkdvd,

The first print was just a bunch of mess i scrapped of. since then nothing comes out when i try and print, I have done the Atomic clean method, that worked and filament was flowing again, but as soon as i tried to print again nothing comes out.

Cheers guys for taking time to reply

Mike

Hey Mike, it doesn't matter that there is only a mess, just snap a picture of it. Better yet, start a print just before the printer starts to extrude filament, shoot a short video clip for about 30-40 seconds. The way the filament comes out and the sounds the printer produces will help us identify the problem.

Also check the filament diameter. If it has more than 3mm than it will be problematic.

Hey Nico, thats the problem no filament extrudes, its like its blocked, but i did the manual clean and had it extruding, but as soon as i try and print, nothing extrudes so i can't get a print to show.

Just wondering. It's the bowden totally 'in'?

as far as i can get it in

I mean, sometimes, because of the angle, it looks in, but it might hit the coupler and isn't in-in.

thanks ill remove the filament and take another look

Make sure the filament isn't ground up at the feeder - best thing to do is cut a few mm off the tip of the filament and start over to see if it can extrude.

Use the "move material" menu to try to get it to extrude. Once that is working - the problem you stated before (the mess) was probably leveling slightly off. Try pushing up and then down on the bed to see if it starts working better. Then you know which way to turn the 3 screws - turn them the same amount 1/4 turn each at a time. Don't use the "leveling procedure" more than once occasionally - just turn the damn screws while printing the first layer after that.

So iv gone through the manual feeding again, and it extruded fine doing that. put it all back together reloaded the filament, and tried to print and yet again, zero material comes out, so its not blocked. but its not working. added a short video of it starting

Thanks Gr5 ill pull it right out and cut a length off tomorrow and see how that goes, the move material didn't work as it is so I'm guessing something is blocking up still.

By the way great forum guys very helpful

Cheers

Mike

when you do the 'loading material' routine, do you wait until the filament comes out of the nozzle?

Assuming that you've gone through this already: ;)

'change material' : the filament runs backwards, out of the printer.

press 'ready' and load the new material in. The feeder motor turns slowly inwards so it can grab the new filament, let it pull it in for 1 cm or so. It helps to cut the tip of the filament in a pointy shape.

press 'ready' again and the filament will rapidly move towards the printhead, followed by a slow moving. Let this go on until the filament comes out of the nozzle. This also helps when changing colors, let it run until the old color is out and the new shows up.

press again and confirm the material setting, and choose your print.

If no molten filament comes out of the nozzle and you hear a 'tock, tock' noise from behind, then it is blocked somewhere. Sometimes a little piece of filament stays behind when doing a 'change material' causing a blockage in the printhead.

Now I understand! No material is coming out. Oh - you already said that. Well still - video helps.

Look if "move material" isn't working then there is no point to start the print. When you do move material watch the filament through the clear bowden - watch it going up and down. Go both directions several times, does the filament stop moving at some point? You are probably damaging the filament back at the feeder - did you look at it there? Did you cut off some like I suggested? Try cutting the tip of the filament to a point so that it gets past the ledges found inside the print head. So push the bowden at different angles while moving filament up and down - and again watch the filament through clear bowden - if it isn't going up then it certainly won't go down either.

Often the material gets stuck before it gets to the tip.

When you said you fed it manually what did you mean? I thought you were pusing from the back of the machine? No? If it is coming out while pushing and then switch to move material does it suddenly stop coming out?

Beware that you don't want to leave the nozzle at 220C for many minutes as it can slowly back the PLA into a clog. So try lower temperatures like 180C when manually pushing and 200C when doing "move material" or at least don't do it for 5 minutes - 1 minute at 210 or 220C is long enough to decide you are doing something wrong, lower the temperature and think again (check feeder? cut filament to point? Slide it up and down a few more times?)

Posted (edited) · UM2+ not working

hey guys,

So iv been through all the things everyone has suggested several times, and finally made it print, but again the print is a complete mess.

other attempts at printing too much comes out before it starts and it just pushes it around making a big build up of filament.

close to wanting to send this thing back.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q5fxbkc9aou6f7z/IMG_5595.JPG?dl=0

IMG_5595.JPG?dl=0IMG_5594.JPG?dl=0

Edited by Guest

I suppose that before getting to that point the extruded did 'tack tack'?

The fan behind the hotend, the small one 25x25mm 5v, it's it running?

yep fans are all running, think that link should work

Hello,

Maybe the model on the SD card is wrongly sliced?

Can you try to slice a model yourself, or could someone that's reading these message's upload a sliced model for the UM 2+??

Greetings,

Jeroen

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the fantastic help, iv had the machine replaced and the new one is setup and printing the ultimakerbot with out any issues, so I think the previous machine had some issues that I wasn't able to resolve. but all ends with happy printing.

cheers

Mike

• Like 2

Great!

>but all ends with happy printing.

Well I doubt that. I'm sure you will have more problems soon enough. Post photos and description when they happen and good luck! For most of us it takes around 100 prints to get perfect prints every time. There's a lot to learn.

haha well so far the prints have been fantastic, Last printer was an M3D but i only had it for a few weeks, it burnt holes in the print plate and had all number of problems.

the only thing iv had issues with is if the print is made of more than one part, the first part will print perfect then the next will mess up and get caught up in the filament.

Didnt look like there was anything wrong with your printer dude. It looked like a slow jam where your nozzle was slightly blocked, or it was in a room that was too cold or something. A couple good atomic pulls would have sorted that. You will get that exact problem again if your not careful......

I've been having similar issues with mine after upgrading to the new extruder.

Turns out the gear on extruder motor slipped off the shaft. I think a bit of lube from the gears got on the shaft and helped work it loose.