An alternative feeder system modification.

Posted (edited) · An alternative feeder system modification.

Hi «Ultimaker 3D printer community»,

As I'm a complete newbie in the 3D printing world, I've been lurking around here for about 8 months in order to learn as much as possible.

I come from the aviation working as an avionic engineer.

Hence I've been drawing (with Auto cad, Solid Edge and Solid Works), -this is the reason I'll like to make something that can be drawn -but never made in the traditional way..

The time from design and drawing to a model is just some hour away, amazing.  :)

Originally I was looking for the Arduino printer, cause of all the interesting electronics devices and project herein.

I was looking for some «free» slicer software, when I happens to find Cura and the Ultimaker printer..

After some studies of Ultimaker 2, I realized that this is the 3D printer I want -but cant afford.. :(

The only way for me -was to build one myself, so I started to collect/buying various parts.

Among those parts I've got some six NMEA17 stepper motors, 1,7 Amp and 200 step per rev. At this time I did not know that the extruder stepper should have 400 step pr rev.

I also learned from this forum about all the problem with this extruder as;

hot shaft (as the knurled wheel is mounted directly on the stepper shaft that soften the filament) and too lo torque for feeding the filament under some condition.

As the stepper I had needed to be slower (half the speed), I made a 2:1 reduction «gear» with one belt and two pulleys.  

I used the same belt (200-GT2) as the two short one's already in use in the U2 -and the same original feeder unit.

I'm just use the four original holes for the feeder stepper motor for this modification.

Doing it this way does not require any firmware changes or modification of the original files for UM2.

I just posted this thing to show an alternative that's a little simpler and can also use the original 400 step per rev. stepper motor for feeding the filament.

I've added two pictures of the modification.

Thanks

Torgeir.Pict_1.thumb.jpg.d1819f4f9dc69512a3b45b4819426fe5.jpg[/media][/media][/media]Pict_2.thumb.jpg.f325173316b2fbf50d09c36a2eabac25.jpg

Edited by Guest

• 2 years later...