Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
simon-nouws

Slicing / Saving .stl/gcode to a SD card from an iPad Pro

Hi All,

With the introduction of the new 9.7inch iPad Pro yesterday, Apple posted a workflow on their website for 3D printing using the iPad Pro (http://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/experience/). It is just too bad the workflow is meant for a Makerbot (especially as Apple is reselling Ultimakers).

Are there plans at Ultimaker to "port" Cura to the iPad so we can slice stl's on the new iPad's? And the next step would be to be able to save the gcode to a Ultimaker compatible SD card right on the iPad (maybe this is possible using the camera connection kit Apple sells?).

As I only design as a hobby (both 3D (Shapr3D, Onshape) and illustrations) apps on the iPad become "good enough" for my purposes. One of the big missing pieces of converting from a laptop to tablet only is the ability to slice my stl's on an iPad. I know this is possible with implementing a Raspberry Pi with 3dprinterOS, but I don't like the idea of USB printing due to the stability risks.

I'm looking forward to hear if there are any plans at Ultimaker to make the step to a workflow on iOS.

I think it would be rather difficult to port Cura to IOS.

I guess a port might be a lot of work indeed, but maybe an app which uses cloud based processing (which I think would require less programming) is easier to make? Having the possibility to upload your .stl, change the parameters and download a gcode, should be obtainable I think?

This approach is a bit similar to what Glowforge is planning to do I think, and likely more examples can be named.