Anyone experience with 3D scanners ?

bigjim

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Anyone experience with 3D scanners ?

I'm still suprised on the price of the turntable. I mean, 900 quid for a stepper motor and some bearings? Seriously?

I understand that they need to make a profit, but the components will set you back 50 euro max.

Wow it would have to scan pretty good for that money. I have been wanting a 3D scanner for a while but im not that desperate to part with that much and i certainly wouldn't want to have to waste any time manually stitching models or muck around setting up. especially seeing most of the time it will be sitting idle until i find something that requires scanning.

I just watched the EinScan-Pro video and the guy doing the art stuff looks disgusted by the results.

With the amount of interest in 3D scanners now it would be nice if UM continued with Nallath's project. But i guess sorting out Cura is more important at this stage.

Posted (edited) · Anyone experience with 3D scanners ?

With the amount of interest in 3D scanners now it would be nice if UM continued with Nallath's project.

I'd love to :)

But I guess sorting out Cura is more important at this stage.

Yeah it is. Doing work for Cura is also doing some work for the scanner though. The scanner also uses Uranium for the GUI. There is quite a bit of code re-use there.

Edited by Guest

The david sls sets are really super expensive. but you have the possibility to compile your own hardware. i bought most stuff used on ebay. acer k11 beamer was 100€, achromatic lens 20€, logitech pro 9000 webcam laying around but can be had for 40€, high quality c-mount lens 90€, tripod was around, david sw 400€ and i certainly spent like 150€ on other stuff. something around 800€ in total.

Had my first really good scan yesterday :)pictures coming soon!

There is a big difference with a Logitech pro 9000 camera and the industrial computer vision stuff that David ships with (and I worked with for UM).

The Logitech is a rolling shutter camera, which causes banding in your scans at certain exposure rates. It's also a color camera which further decreases the accuracy and resolution of the camera.

The Logitech is also a lot less sensitive, so it's harder to get good results for a number of objects.

Yes, that is for sure. I had the camera laying around, so it would have been stupid to not try it out. Actually I have little problems with banding. In the David forum I heard, that the latest David 4 cam is rolling shutter too. Or maybe a misunderstanding? Currently I use a shutter time of 1/30s or 1/20s so it integrates 2 resp. 3 frames. Maybe this helps too in reducing the banding?

But sensitivity and noise are certainly issues. When I scan something where the texture contains light and dark areas I get quite some noise in the darker areas. For my first tests, I quickly resorted to using the chalk spray they sell.

I'm already eyeing for the real thing, but prices for useful cams are 300€+ without a lense and hardly any to be found used :(

David 5 even seems to bring dual cam support! Why do they do this to me :p

Maybe I will look for another lens and a second logitech now and later I can upgrade to proper cams with little lost.

Hmm, you tried both? It is really that much of a difference?

Don't use their chalk spray. It's overpriced. You can get the stuff much cheaper if you look for welding inspection spray. It's like a few euro per spray can (and exactly the same stuff!)

Your projector runs at 1/60s so using 1/30 or 1/20 should not give you much banding (as one camera frame then captures 2 or 3 projector frames). The issues are more noticeable if you try to capture at 1/40s.

With industrial camera's I've been able to get the background (under normal light conditions) almost perfectly black and the lighted area almost perfectly white.

For the David 4 they synchronise the projector and the camera (They send a trigger if the projector sends a new frame, so you have a "perfect" 1/1 match). In that case, rolling shutter isn't that big of an issue any more. As rolling is a bit cheaper, it could be that they made the jump back again.

This was my first satisfiying scan. Don't ask about the object, a friend wanted that, I just needed anything to scan :p

IMG_20160622_094928.thumb.jpg.92aa911e6c834ae88622cfa421ad6f62.jpg

5a331e84f33a3_2016-06-2300_07_50-DAVID3DSCANNERProv4.5.2.thumb.png.0a6922cbb3ef053b0c159cb4456d6eb5.png

IMG_20160622_094910.thumb.jpg.4dfdc8b7678683288ccb448dade0e563.jpg

5a331e8524e7b_2016-06-2300_35_10-DAVID3DSCANNERProv4.5.2.thumb.png.fab7a2992bdfa22eac49c403b3780501.png

IMG_20160622_094928.thumb.jpg.92aa911e6c834ae88622cfa421ad6f62.jpg

5a331e84f33a3_2016-06-2300_07_50-DAVID3DSCANNERProv4.5.2.thumb.png.0a6922cbb3ef053b0c159cb4456d6eb5.png

IMG_20160622_094910.thumb.jpg.4dfdc8b7678683288ccb448dade0e563.jpg

5a331e8524e7b_2016-06-2300_35_10-DAVID3DSCANNERProv4.5.2.thumb.png.fab7a2992bdfa22eac49c403b3780501.png

And that is what my setup looks like:

P1040827.thumb.JPG.b9c7ce700567695217031b58ffef2f7a.JPG

P1040824.thumb.JPG.4e1875382b3e9b39d16cd0169db9600f.JPG

P1040827.thumb.JPG.b9c7ce700567695217031b58ffef2f7a.JPG

P1040824.thumb.JPG.4e1875382b3e9b39d16cd0169db9600f.JPG

Nice! I would be extremely happy with these results..

Yes I think your results are very good

And that is what my setup looks like:

Can you tell a littlebit more about doing that particular scan, time to setup, making the scan and using the software to get to that result.

I am particularity interested in the total time it takes to get to that final little puppet result ?

In total I was busy more than 4 hours from setup to STL file. During that time I also did things like measuring the exact angle of my calibration corner and doing a reference scan with a precision control square ("Haarwinkel" in german). So time related to that scan was maybe 3 hours.

If I would do it again, I think this would be less than 2 hours now. There is certainly a learning curve. I guess an automatic turntable reduces scan times a lot. I understand know what @nallath wanted to say ;)The webcam limits scanning speed with its 5 fps at 1600x1200. Maybe 800x600 would have brought similar results?

Setup was some minutes for connecting everything, setting distance and focus to match the squirrel's sice and adjusting the camera. Then you remove your object, instead put the calbration corner in its place and start the calibration scan. After that you are ready for scanning. Takes maybe 10 minutes.

In total I took 55 scans but I didn't use all. 15 were from slightly above, turning the squirrel around its axis. 8 where from the bottom with some funny tools to keep it in position, 6 from the top and I took some more after first alignment to fill remaining holes or areas with bad quality.

I spent like 20 minutes on clearing the single scans from background, some artifacts and the mentioned tools. Maybe 30 minutes for alignment and another 15 minutes for further clearing.

I think the software guides you very nicely through the whole process. Cleaning the scans is very easy too. Still you need some knowhow like which perspectives are necessary, in which order do you align the scans etc.

The main problem with my first scans was, that my calibration corner wasn't exactly 90° but 89,7°. when you stitch one scan to the next and do that with 10 scans, first and last are off be 3°, which is a lot when matching scans with high resolution. Now I know, that you can tell the deviation of your corner to the software and everything is fine :)

In total I was busy more than 4 hours from setup to STL file.

That is quite some time to get to a final 3D object :)

The David system is still a pretty hands on setup, it is partly because of that (and the higher price) that I chose the Einscan-S.

But I've also seen vids that can make the David scanner make smaller and more detailed scans then the Einscan-S, and it's something I wish I could do :)

I hope the next iteration of 3D scanners will have a better resolution for the same prices.

I meanwhile received my Einscan-S and so far am content.

Here's a few problems i encountered:

- Had a rough time getting it run (firewall issues downloading the license file, not being able to configure the display resolution for the Einscan to 800x600 - both "solutions in their FAQ file didn't work.) - all on Win10 x64.

- I kinda dislike the fact that I cannot turn the scanner off - the on/off button only turns off the lamp - fans are still going even 2 days later.

- with the Einscan in operation, my bench mutimeter is blocked - and vice versa. First device to be used upon a reboot works, the other one won't. Gotta be some strange USB conflict going on there. Haven't had the time to look at that one yet.

- 2x powerbricks, 2 usb cables and a VGA cable is quite alot of stuff to wrestle with.

- I am not sure if its working 100% correctly, as the pattern projected on the object doesn't cover the whole "screen", a fair bit of the windows desktop is shown as well. Which i consider rather odd.

- and for some other odd reason, scanned objects started to appear partially below the platform in the scan preview - gotta be something to do with the calibration.

- Editing STL files is still a pain in the lower back

- The software is very rudimentary and i already miss the ability to export a point cloud to post process myself.

On the plus side:

- i can easily set it up on my desk without having to move shit around.

- Shining3Ds support was very quick to respond

- the scan quality is way better than with my previous (lots cheaper) laser line based scanners or the 3DSense I owned before

- scanning in auto/turntable mode is very a straight forward process, simple enough to have inexperienced folks at the office get decent enough results.

I read something months ago about the Firewall Blocking the setup, I thought they had sorted that.. Glad you like it, the software for editing the Data sound basic, I am looking at the Davison and hope there software is up to the Mark,, they have been acquired By HP so when the Pennies allow I will purchase...

Question about one of these 3D scanners though I've specifically looking at the HP/David 3D Scan System. I work with home and car audio and one thing I'd like to do is 3D scans of a car's interior, specifically the A-pillar area at the top of the dash on each side. This is a popular place to put a small midrange speaker and tweeter, which I'd want to 3D print after scanning. My question relates to the HP/David fitting inside the car and being able to scan the entire corner of the dash/pillar/windshield area. It would also be nice to be able to 3D scan a trunk to make more accurate/easier panels via a CNC, which I already have. Any comments on whether the HP/David would work for this application or an alternative 3D scanner would be appreciated. Thanks.

the David is not really a handheld scanner, it needs a steady setup with camera/beamer, the David is better on a tripod and the object revolving.

You could try a 3DSense/Structure (Occipital)/or something else handheld.

Btw: Einscan released a new (free) software version a few weeks ago and it now allows basic cleanup and export of the scan data before it gets turned into a watertight STL.

Maybe this is of interest to somebody.

I have herd the 3D Sense accuracy is not very good, look for the Tolerance settings?? I have seen some fairly cool hand held scanners but the cost is triple to the David scanner we are talking mega bucks but they will do what your after.

Posted (edited) · Anyone experience with 3D scanners ?

I'm not looking for something handheld, I would fully understand having to use a solid base from which to take the scans. Though I do understand the bar is rather large and so I could see being able to get a couple of vantage points but not a large number and definitely not 90+ degrees. Does that change anything or are these cameras just not the right tool? Thanks.

EDIT: I understand what you mean now by handheld as I just read about the Artec EVA, which looks like it would work great except for the price. Is there anything closer to the $5000 range that might do the job? Thanks.

Edited by Guest

I would Look at the einscan fairly cheap and has the free hand movement your looking for with a decent resolution...

I think that should be doable with the david system. you have plenty of space if you move the drivers seat back. you don't need many different views to scan someting like the A-column, maybe 3 or 4. If the rail is too bulky just be a bit creative with mounting, you only need to make sure, that beamer and camera are fixed relative too each other and they don't move during a scan.

Im sorry, but I cant try it for you due to lack of a car :-P