Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
peetree

Upgrade from Ultimaker 2 to 2+ has switched the X and Y motors?

Recommended Posts

I just installed the extrusion upgrade kit to my Ultimaker 2.

Everything seemed to go normally, and I updated the firmware to 2+ as instructed.

Now, when the machine starts up the build plate leveling process, it is clear that the X and Y motors have switched. The machine moves the extruder to the left side of the build plate, centered front to back (see the picture). Of course it should move to the back, centered left-right. Then, the "X or Y switch broken" message comes up (since the extruder has clearly not engaged the switch).

I didn't remove the motor wires during installation of the upgrade as it was not required.

Should I now go back in and swap the X and Y motor wires anyway? I'm worried about creating other issues.

5a331a58730d2_2016-03-3011_13_39.thumb.jpg.551d5406beb5aa967bfb27c25211d91c.jpg

5a331a58730d2_2016-03-3011_13_39.thumb.jpg.551d5406beb5aa967bfb27c25211d91c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think one of your switch isn't well plugged in so you've got this problem, the UM goes on security by showing this error message.

Check it and send pics yeah, we'll glad to help you then (:

OK, but what about the extruder location? That's not the correct location for the 1st step of leveling the build plate. The machine moved the extruder there, it wasn't set there from the beginning. That's why I've guessed that the X and Y motors are working as if they're swapped. I don't think there's an issue with the endstops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Peetree, sorry to hear about the difficulties during, or well after the upgrade.

Make sure to get in touch with Fbrc8 (I see a nice sticker on the bottom of your Ultimaker) and see if they can help.

By the way, it looks like you also didn't put the + sticker in place yet.

Most important part! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Peetree, sorry to hear about the difficulties during, or well after the upgrade.

Make sure to get in touch with Fbrc8 (I see a nice sticker on the bottom of your Ultimaker) and see if they can help.

By the way, it looks like you also didn't put the + sticker in place yet.

Most important part! ;)

 

I did get in touch with Fbrc8, I'm up and running now, with stickers!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Our picks

    • Print Core CC | Red for Ruby
      Q: For some users, abrasive materials may be a new subject matter. Can you explain what it is that makes a material abrasive when you are not sure which print core to use?
      A: Materials which are hard in a solid piece (like metals, ceramics and carbon fibers) will generally also wear down the nozzle. In general one should assume...
      • 1 reply
    • "Back To The Future" using Generative Design & Investment Casting
      Designing for light-weight parts is becoming more important, and I’m a firm believer in the need to produce lighter weight, less over-engineered parts for the future. This is for sustainability reasons because we need to be using less raw materials and, in things like transportation, it impacts the energy usage of the product during it’s service life.
        • Like
      • 12 replies
×

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!