Filament changing problem

dree

Posted · Filament changing problem

Hi,

After updating the firmware of my UM2+ today the automatic removing and loading of the filament comes 20 cm short, can I change this?

Groet Dree

Posted (edited) · Filament changing problem

Speaking for no-one else, I have to say that I don't understand. Are you saying that you snapped the filament?

Or are you just saying that the filament doesn't come all the way out?  If this is it then I expect it's by design: push the release lever on the new style feeder and pull the filament out, which should happen easily. Try to keep the filament reel from unravelling.

Edited by Guest

It's your second assumption, you understand correct, but...

Before the update it came all the way out and when inserting all the way to the print head, after the update I have to pull it out 20 cm as you describe and when inserting I have to do the same 20 cm the way in, I cannot imagine that UM changed that distance 20 cm...

Groet Dree

The version that comes with Cura 15.04.5

It looks like I have to be more patient and let the filament come to the print head with "wait till material comes out of the nozzel" but that's very slow.

I still think that before the filament stopped further down the tube.

Groet Dree

Posted (edited) · Filament changing problem

Or just feed in more filament before you release the catch on the feeder? I have yet to fit my feeder upgrade, which may explain why I'm still struggling to imagine what the problem is.

Edited by Guest

You have to only feed the filament into the feeder and then the feeder transports it rapidly almost to the print head.

Then the feeder goes slow and you have to wait util filament is comping out of the printer head.

Mine does 2/3 of the tube quick and 1/3 very slow, tonight I did the dishes while waiting for filament out of the print head.

I think I do a ticket to UM tomorrow, it seems nobody knows the problem.

Thanks anyway, Dree

When loading the filament, you need to get it to reach the first clip on the Bowden before pressing the button (either let it get there on its own by the feeders action or hold the release and push it further in if your really in a hurry)

If you don't get it that far into the tube (first clip) before pressing the button then it would be very long wait :-)

I have the new extruder, and know the problem. I let it push the filament to the second clip on the bowden before I ask the printer to forward to the head. If I just wait till the first, the printer will timeout after forwarding and then waiting for material to reach the printhead. First I thought the new bowden was much longer, but it has the same length. The same happens when retracting the filament out of the printer, it should not need to stop way into the bowden tube.

Thanks guys :)

I thought I was the only one..

Dree

Now I know that it is actually not only me I adapted and now it works beter and faster.

However it stil doesn't feel right to violate the feeder this way, I have the feeling driving a porch with a beagle engine. I wish there was an expert setting to adjust the filament travel distance.

Dree