Cycle Print

LesHall

Posted · Cycle Print

Ever made a cycle story with some friends? I have fond memories of sitting on old scrap furniture drinking and laughing, passing a one-line LCD typewriter around as each person adds their next paragraph to the story of silliness.

Well, why not do that with a print? To get things started I have made a base with OpenSCAD, files below - just add your changes and post them to this thread. (revision control chaos may ensue?)...

5a331a6d7de77_CycleStory1.thumb.png.8cfa90ae8b21de79954e476f48d0b14e.png

Get the files here:

youmagine files

5a331a6d7de77_CycleStory1.thumb.png.8cfa90ae8b21de79954e476f48d0b14e.png

• Like 1

Posted · Cycle Print

Hi @LesHall

thank you for your post! Sounds like a very fun idea.

I don't know if it is personal or maybe cultural, but I myself am not very familiar with a cycle story. Not sure about the other people from the community, but would you care to elaborate a little bit on your idea and how you expect others to collaborate?

Posted · Cycle Print

sure SandervG, I might write something like this to get the cycle story going:

"It was a dark and stormy night. No, it was even more corny than that. It was so corny you needed butter to chew your way out. Pop went the weasel and the chaos began!"

That's my silly opener. Then I pass the typewriter to my friend sitting next to me and they write:

"The weasel; a slippery butter weasel it was, had a plan. In it's weasel mind, it spoke weasel to itself and planned to wiggle it's way to the eject button on the other side of the room. One more PoP! and the weasel was there pressing the button. Of course we all know what that meant!"

And that friend passes the typewriter to the next friend in order of a circle.

So that is a cycle story, full of silliness and fun. What I am suggesting is that we can do the same with 3d prints. I began by providing a base with a text label in OpenSCAD The next person can add a goofy face or a hand or a fire engine, etc. I'm not really sure if the Cycle print will pan out well but it seemed like a creative idea that the free-thinkers and artists of this realm could chew on and make it pop not like a weasel but more like bubblegum lol. If youget my drift....

Les

Posted (edited) · Cycle Print

Ahh I think I get it. Sounds like fun!

I am not much of a modeller but I gave it my best shot in Tinkercad ;)

Lets see where the next person takes it and what kind of crazyness comes from this!

5a331ab0bed58_ScreenShot2016-04-07at14_11_09.thumb.png.1eea2dd19839ba4add6d21777fe64fda.png

About structuring, what do you think is the best way to connect these together?

Like uploading to YouMagine and sharing my upload in your comments?

Ive named it Cycle-print v2.

I'll do that and if you have a better idea let me know :)

.. Who'll be next?

5a331ab0bed58_ScreenShot2016-04-07at14_11_09.thumb.png.1eea2dd19839ba4add6d21777fe64fda.png

Edited by Guest

Posted · Cycle Print

Well we made a collaborative thing, that's one step forward. It's just us two so far though. Lets call it a small step forward. Lemme see if I can Import it into OpenSCAD...

Les

Posted · Cycle Print

cycle-print-v3.thumb.png.c3ea1edefb3a442e2d2dffd3c8596ac4.png

OK I added some crude weaponry!

Les

cycle-print-v3.thumb.png.c3ea1edefb3a442e2d2dffd3c8596ac4.png