Cura 2.1 open beta has been released!

SandervG

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.1 open beta has been released!

Thanks Marcus, the fix to copy fdmprinter.json into ~/.cura/machines worked to use my machine without messing in Cura.app's folder.

Now I'm trying to change PLA/ABS temperatures or create new material profiles but they don't seem to be taken into account.

I changed pla.cfg in Cura.app or created a new placlear.cfg in ~/.cura/machines but the temperatures don't change accordingly when I select them in Cura.

I'm using:

[settings]material_print_temperature = 211material_bed_temperature = 71

What's file structure/section names are you using?

I'm not familiar with material.txt as I don't have an Ultimaker.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 296
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Cura 2.1 open beta has been released!

Thanks Marcus, the fix to copy fdmprinter.json into ~/.cura/machines worked to use my machine without messing in Cura.app's folder.

Now I'm trying to change PLA/ABS temperatures or create new material profiles but they don't seem to be taken into account.

I changed pla.cfg in Cura.app or created a new placlear.cfg in ~/.cura/machines but the temperatures don't change accordingly when I select them in Cura.

I'm using:

[settings]material_print_temperature = 211material_bed_temperature = 71

What's file structure/section names are you using?

I'm not familiar with material.txt as I don't have an Ultimaker.

look if it shows two PLA materials now.

mine aggregate both directories, so I can add but not overwrite materials.

Yes it shows the new "PLA Clear" file I added, but the temperatures don't change when I select it.

I also tried to change the temperature of the app's pla.cfg but nothing changes.

Yes it shows the new "PLA Clear" file I added, but the temperatures don't change when I select it.

I also tried to change the temperature of the app's pla.cfg but nothing changes.

has the temperature settings of the parent Ultimaker profile an "uneditable" or "hidden" settings that overrides the material? I'm just guessing.

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.1 open beta has been released!

Cura 2.1.x often forgets the height of the build volume of my Ultimaker II extended.

Then the maximum height is some kind of default.

See attached picture.

The only thing that helps is to remove all machine_instances and re-create the printer.

Did anyone else experience this?

This happens with the default printer profiles that have not been modified in any way.

I created a GitHub issue with a screenshot:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/870

Edited by Guest

has the temperature settings of the parent Ultimaker profile an "uneditable"  or "hidden"  settings that overrides the material? I'm just guessing.

The parent profile is fdmprinter.json, which doesn't seem to have these temperatures hidden or uneditable.

I created a ticket: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/872

A bit of awesome news on our end; johan_k 's code changes have been merged. This means that the layer view for 2.2 is now faster than the old Cura. Its now so damn fast that I often don't even see the processing layer message. This also removes the time between calculating the top layers, so scrolling between layers is also lightning fast (you might see it blink sometimes, but that's about it)

• Like 3

Schweet! Everyone send him ice cream, he likes ice cream.

Great!!!

@nallath, is there a closed beta, night build or something like this available for a brief look?

Not at the moment, but we will have beta's soon ish again.

• Like 1

So custom firmware upgrade is definitely buried now?

For this version, yes. Permanently? No. To be honest, I kinda forgot about that feature. If people really want / need this feature, I'll make sure it gets added back into 2.x

While I love all those experimental features you can unlock, it actually looks like quite a bit has been forgotten in this version. For one, I can no longer add my custom RepRap printer? Whatever happened to that? I guess I'll just tell people to download the old version until that is added back in then?

You can... but there are no machine settings in gui jet, think/hope it's on the developers list... for now you need to alter a .Json machine file.... has been described here a few time... just Google...

• Like 2

You can... but there are no machine settings in gui jet, think/hope it's on the developers list...

This too will be available in Cura 2.2. The Machine Actions plugin that I wrote was merged into the Cura master branch a couple of days ago:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/pull/924

• Like 1

All that being said; Everyone claims that everyone wants this. I find that hard to believe, as with all features that people outside of UM contributed, not one of em was aimed at disabling auto slicing for 2.1 ;)

TL;DR

If you have arguments why we should disable auto-slicing, I'll take those into account.

So far I only have: My laptop drains faster, so an power save mode would be nice.

Well I have used Cura on (mostly) and off for 3 years or so. I suppose I am an expert rather than a novice. Autoslice suits me fine. I wonder how many times I would have printed an unsliced part by now without it. Maybe some of you guys are using a PC that is not quite up to spec.? I jump around the GUI changing parameters without delay and the same when positioning multiple parts on the bed

• Like 1

The only issue I have with auto-slicing is that it can occasionally hang if I don't let it finish before doing another scale,rotate,move, etc... And once it's hung (hanged?) the only way to fix it is to exit Cura and restart it. That can suck if I've just placed a lot of items on the build plate and have to do it all over again.

That's where a 'Save Layout' would be nice...

Just my 2c

The only issue I have with auto-slicing is that it can occasionally hang if I don't let it finish before doing another scale,rotate,move, etc... And once it's hung (hanged?) the only way to fix it is to exit Cura and restart it. That can suck if I've just placed a lot of items on the build plate and have to do it all over again.

That's where a 'Save Layout' would be nice...

Just my 2c

I have this problem too, but only with Cura 2.1.x (I am on Linux). The old Cura 15.x never had this issue for me and the auto-slicing was fast and never in my way.

I suspect it is just a bug, and that Nallath or someone else is already working on fixing it. :) But currently, I too find it safer to wait for one slice to finish before I do the next change. And it is quite tedious.

Cura 2.x is nice, but it definitely still feels beta. ... Because it *is* beta. :) So, for now, I wait patiently and appreciate Nallath's (et al.) hard work. :D

Yes I have not gone beyond 15.04 at the moment so maybe it is a "new" bug.

Am I right in thinking that the original new Cura only worked with Ultimaker printers but the more recent versions now work with other printers? I know there was a reason for not trying the new software last year but cannot remember why.

Am I right in thinking that the original new Cura only worked with Ultimaker printers but the more recent versions now work with other printers?

All of them worked with it, but not all of them had profiles / machine definitions. Now that it has been in the wild for some time, people have added more profiles / definition files.

I suspect it is just a bug, and that Nallath or someone else is already working on fixing it.

Funny you say that. I just committed some code that should fix it.

When Cura 2.0 was released I tried it one afternoon and it was so complex (compared to the old Cura) that I gave up really fast. This week I've finally moved from Cura 15.04 to Cura 2.1.3 and I must that I hadn't seen such an improvement in printing quality since installing the Upgrade kit on the UM2. Also, reliability and printing quality in my old Prusa i3 is crazy now!

Thank you very much @nallath and all the team behind for keeping it that awesome! :p

Also, one small question. Is the option "split object into parts" available? If not, will it be available in the future?

• Like 1

Also, one small question. Is the option "split object into parts" available? If not, will it be available in the future?

It's not going to be in the next (2.2) release. I have no idea when it's going to be back. It's somewhere on the backlog though.

• Like 1

Am I right in thinking that the original new Cura only worked with Ultimaker printers but the more recent versions now work with other printers?

All of them worked with it, but not all of them had profiles / machine definitions. Now that it has been in the wild for some time, people have added more profiles / definition files.

Hmn, I downloaded 2.1.3 yesterday. All I could discover was a list of pre-configured printers, including non Ultimakers, to choose from. No way that I could see of selecting a generic reprap machine and then adding your own physical dimension settings and extruders. Bit confused as to how we can say my printer works with the new version.

The comment a few posts ago suggests that maybe that it will be there in 2.2 apart from I presume the definition of a 2nd extruder. It would be nice to try it with one extruder though given the comments on improved quality.

The ability to change machine dimensions in the GUI will also make a comeback in 2.2

• Like 3

Hi!

Are there plans to improve the layers preview? I have to say that this is not the best part of Cura, compared to other slicers/viewers...

My suggestions (sorted, most important first):

- add a small gap between traces, so we can see how 100% infill layers are printed;

- add +/- buttons on the layer chooser cursor, so we can easily go layer by layer, which is impossible when there are a lot of layers;

- improve speed preview;

- add a per gcode instruction cursor, to see how each layer is printed;

- use less flashy colors.

A good 2D layer preview would be much better than a poor 3D one...

Thanks,

Frédéric

- add a small gap between traces, so we can see how 100% infill layers are printed

I don't quite understand what you mean by that.

- add +/- buttons on the layer chooser cursor, so we can easily go layer by layer, which is impossible when there are a lot of layers

Select the layer number. Press up and down arrow key. You can also use ctrl + up / down. Already in 2.1

- improve speed preview;

Done for next release. It's 10-20 times as fast.

- add a per gcode instruction cursor, to see how each layer is printed.

I've added a "show single layer" option. Not quite there yet, but that should help a bit already.

What do you suggest?

- add a small gap between traces, so we can see how 100% infill layers are printed

I don't quite understand what you mean by that.

In the 100% infill layers, we can't see the tool path: we just see a flat yellow surface. Adding a little gap between each tool path would allow to see them.

Select the layer number. Press up and down arrow key. You can also use ctrl + up / down. Already in 2.1

I didn't see it. Perfect!

Done for next release. It's 10-20 times as fast.

Nothing to add :O)

- add a per gcode instruction cursor, to see how each layer is printed.

I've added a "show single layer" option. Not quite there yet, but that should help a bit already.

Ok.

What do you suggest?

Desaturating a little bit the colors of the current layer would be Ok. But, you know, tastes and colors... ;o)

Thanks for your quick answser!

Frédéric