Cura 2.1 open beta has been released!

SandervG

Posted · Cura 2.1 open beta has been released!

I don't think it has ever been the intention to pause for a full night... would also make no sense as you would be wasting much energy as the heated needs to stay on anyhow...

The use imho is material change and inserting objects like f.e. nuts.

When you use a custom feeder or the + feeder it's easy to manually push some fillament to prime the nozzle.

It should be possible to change the script in such a way that this works (eg; retract before pause and prime after) . But most people do short pauses, so the current implementation is geared to them.

I'll try to use "change filament" for this.

Currently I'm forced to sleep near the printer but I have print jobs of 5-7 days.

(Now that I got nGen to finally print reliably.)

• Replies 296
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So custom firmware upgrade is definitely buried now?

For this version, yes. Permanently? No. To be honest, I kinda forgot about that feature. If people really want / need this feature, I'll make sure it gets added back into 2.x

I assume especially on UMO users it is relevant!

Honestly, I get the impression that the support for UMO users is gradually decreasing.... :-(

Not everybody has the budget to switch over to UMO+ or UM2 so PLEASE keep this in mind screwing on CURA...

LOL underline screwing :)

Update: it is because you have cleartype turned off. If you turn it on it should render correctly. Could you check?

Yep, that's the issue. Unfortunatly enabling ClearType would change all the other text in a way I don't like :-/

Still, thanks for clearing the issue.

Currently I'm forced to sleep near the printer but I have print jobs of 5-7 days.

This is a good reason to install TinkerGnome's firmware. During a Pause you can navigate to Advanced --> Move Material. That way you don't even need to touch the filament or feeder. You just rotate the little white dial.

Yep, that's the issue. Unfortunatly enabling ClearType would change all the other text in a way I don't like :-/

I know some people have an aversion to ClearType, though most of that stems back from the days of CRT displays. However your issue reads a bit like "if I configure my computer to use inferior font rendering, the type looks ugly" ;-)

I'm afraid the best we can do is to file a bugreport for the GUI framework we're using (Qt) and wait until it is fixed "upstream", but I don't think it will become a high priority thing over at the Qt project...

Sorry to say, but Cura 2.1 doesn't work reliable with dual extrusion used for support (Mac OSX 10.11.4) (I know dual support is not official yet)

Just take a machine profile which allows to set "support_extruder_nr" (like the sample dual_extrusion profile). Slicing with support activated and support_extruder_nr=0 works well. Same settings but support_extruder_nr=1 makes the slicing process freeze after some time. This occurs not with all but with like 90% of the stl files I tried.

I'm having exactly the same problem in Windows 10 in different compatibility modes of the CuraEngine. From the moment I raise the amount of extruders, CuraEngine crashes. Till now it happens with all STL files.

Sorry to say, but Cura 2.1 doesn't work reliable with dual extrusion used for support (Mac OSX 10.11.4) (I know dual support is not official yet)

Just take a machine profile which allows to set "support_extruder_nr" (like the sample dual_extrusion profile). Slicing with support activated and support_extruder_nr=0 works well. Same settings but support_extruder_nr=1 makes the slicing process freeze after some time. This occurs not with all but with like 90% of the stl files I tried.

I'm having exactly the same problem in Windows 10 in different compatibility modes of the CuraEngine. From the moment I raise the amount of extruders, CuraEngine crashes. Till now it happens with all STL files.

Could you send me the engine & Gui logs?

Hm, how can I open the logs when the user interface already became unresponsive and I've to kill the process?

This is a good reason to install TinkerGnome's firmware.    During a Pause you can navigate to Advanced --> Move Material.  That way you don't even need to touch the filament or feeder.  You just rotate the little white dial.

Is the official Firmware the "Ultimaker2Marlin" in the Ultimaker Repository?

(https://github.com/Ultimaker)

Or is it "UM2.1-Firmware" or "Marlin"

Wich of the 2 forks TinkerGnome has do you reffer to?

"Ultimaker2Marlin" or "Marlin_UM2Plus"?

Hm, how can I open the logs when the user interface already became unresponsive and I've to kill the process?

Gui logs are most important anyway. Those are saved to disk.

Wich of the 2 forks TinkerGnome has do you reffer to?

"Ultimaker2Marlin" or "Marlin_UM2Plus"?

Here's the current release page. Just pick the right hex for your machine:

https://github.com/TinkerGnome/Ultimaker2Marlin/releases

Machine settings missing!

As I use Octoprint for my UM2 - I need to change the Reprap flavour to "RepRap (Marlin/Sprinter)" - seems there is no way to that any more. :-(

Please add the machine setting dialog or at least have a way to import custom machine settings!

However your issue reads a bit like "if I configure my computer to use inferior font rendering, the type looks ugly" ;-)

Heh, yeah, but it's more like "If I enable this rendering, half the fonts look ugly. If I disable it, the other half looks ugly."

My problem is I don't like it when the characters are fuzzy at the edges, which ClearType mostly produces - except in a few cases where it improves the edges...

I'm afraid the best we can do is to file a bugreport for the GUI framework we're using (Qt) and wait until it is fixed "upstream", but I don't think it will become a high priority thing over at the Qt project...

It's a better result than I would have hoped, so I'm quite satisfied. To know what the issue is helps even if it doesn't solve anything. (Weird how the mind works.)

@Lab: Download this file, and put it in either your Cura resources/machines folder, or in the Application Data/local/cura/machines folder:

https://gist.github.com/fieldOfView/ae85f755fc70d1c65e6968a870dfef0c

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.1 open beta has been released!

Machine settings missing!

As I use Octoprint for my UM2 - I need to change the Reprap flavour to "RepRap (Marlin/Sprinter)" - seems there is no way to that any more. :-(

Please add the machine setting dialog or at least have a way to import custom machine settings!

totally agree !

for now you can do some of this by changing the .json file ( C:\Program Files\Cura 2.1\resources\machines ) just trial and error to see what works and what not. Made some changes myself that resulted in changes in the GUI, but not functional (set the temp in cura for UM2)

For the UM2 the gcode flavour is somewhere around line 70 ....

Edited by Guest

@ultiarjan: no trial and error needed, see the message above yours.

You'll have to agree that the number of people who use a UM2 with Octoprint is quite a bit lower than the number of people who use the UM2 as is. Now it looks like I'll be getting a UM2 at "home", and I really like Octoprint with my UMO, so I may try to find some spare time to do cool stuff with Octoprint with Cura 2. Don't hold your breath though.

Edited by Guest

You'll have to agree that the number of people who use a UM2 with Octoprint is quite a bit lower than the number of people who use the UM2 as is. Now it looks like I'll be getting a UM2 at "home", and I really like Octoprint with my UMO, so I may try to find some spare time to do cool stuff with Octoprint with Cura 2. Don't hold your breath though.

Actually my reason for wanting machine settings back is not about octoprint.... but more about f.e the ability to change the dimensions of the head..... yes many people still experiment.....

just played around a bit with the fuzzy skin using refill pet, to create a diffuser to be used in a lamp.... works pretty nice. The photo is poor because of the frequency of the light.... it's actually nicely diffused....

20160513_231924.thumb.jpg.515d414926ba01ac25b972926bee8f9c.jpg

20160513_231732.thumb.jpg.e75fec389d7fd6912555a1ce61e341bc.jpg

20160513_231924.thumb.jpg.515d414926ba01ac25b972926bee8f9c.jpg

20160513_231732.thumb.jpg.e75fec389d7fd6912555a1ce61e341bc.jpg

• Like 3

Actually my reason for wanting machine settings back is not about octoprint.... but more about f.e the ability to change the dimensions of the head..... yes many people still experiment.....

Amen!

yes many people still experiment.....

I am not trying to be argumentative here, and few will disagree that it would be very nice to one day have the dialog back, but Cura 2 actually gives you a LOT more to experiment with. Just - currently - at a loss of some convenience.

Nice application of the fuzzy skin!

Hi, I'm having a weird issue when changing the Infill Density to 100%, it updates the shell layers out of proportion

Because there isn't really a bottom layer any more. If I recall correctly, the density of 100% is faked by setting all layers to bottom layer (and thus being fully filled)

Faking bottom layers on demand would be very useful. When I embed hardware like nuts in a print, it would be nice to make the immediate layers solid, yet have typical infill for the rest of the print. Could that be added as a plugin?

Awesome! The Beta looks great so far. I need to wait for a fully customizable "other" option for a printer. No support for "other" or my DeltaWASP 2040 yet.

But everything looks great so far.

Is it possible to install (and uninstall) different versions of Cura in parallel, without them influencing each other at all? Thus also without automatically importing any settings?

I could not find any info on this in the manual or FAQ.

I would like to try the new versions, but without messing up my working version (Cura 14.09, on Windows 7 Pro, SP1), which I need for production of prototypes against deadlines. So the existing setup should remain stable, even though it may be "old".

If not possible, what about adding it in future versions, For example by offering the following radio-button options during installation:

O Update existing installation

O Install the new version independently in parallel

And if the user selects the "independent" option:

O Import settings... [select Cura version to import from]

O Do not import anything, start with factory defaults

Something along this line?

(I haven't tried running it in a virtual machine yet, but with the limited amount of memory, 3D-acceleration, and disk space available to virtual machines, that might cause other problems.

Geert

Today I tried my favorite plugin: TweakAtZ.

Fortunately I checked the gcode before printing, because it doesn't work :(

There's no changes in code, except one comment at the beginning:

5a331d314a226_Screenshot2016-05-1721_25_50.thumb.png.ec244eb627b10e7c6b1195871d7738cb.png

5a331d317855e_Screenshot2016-05-1721_26_40.thumb.png.eb944ccf339d2042f9091c6d0bbd8ebc.png

Is it working for anyone?

5a331d314a226_Screenshot2016-05-1721_25_50.thumb.png.ec244eb627b10e7c6b1195871d7738cb.png

5a331d317855e_Screenshot2016-05-1721_26_40.thumb.png.eb944ccf339d2042f9091c6d0bbd8ebc.png

Edited by Guest