Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
variador

Beginning extruder movement

Hello,

I am using an Ultimaker that came in the spring of this year.

Getting Netfabb going for me is tough. Reading in this forum has helped me to get a print, actually two.

The extruder head jamming into all the endstops at high speed was initial problem that kept me from getting a print. There was a topic that talked about the startup Gcode. I found the movements looking through the startup Gcode. Removed all the code that had anything besides 000 to see what would happen.

The extruder head did its little z axis thing, when the temp was right the extruder took off down the y axis to the end stop. There it did a little grind. Then it came back to where it should print and started printing. This was the first print that ever worked for me in Netfabb. This was in the High quality settings.

This is the newest version of Netfabb on a Win7 PC from the downloads page and installing reading the "NetFabb Setup Guide and Quick Introduction".

My first question is, where are the instructions moving the extruder to the y axis endstop?

Next question, does the startup Gcode work for everyone else?

More questions;

Why does the extruder head have to travel to every end stop at super high speed before it starts?

How do I save the Gcode that I have adjusted so it is there when Netfabb starts up?

Any help is appreciated.

Maybe point me in a direction to learn what I dont know.

Can you paste the start.gcode you use?

i never got to test netfabb because its not free..

if you have the same firmware that Cura would use, i would test to copy paste some lines from the start.gcode from cura. maybe that works out.

It zeros the printhead to the front left then pre-extrudes a little and goes to the middle of the plattform to start the print.

hers my start.gcode

---------------------------------------------

G21 ;metric values

G90 ;absolute positioning

M107 ;start with the fan off

G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops

G28 Z0 ;move Z to min endstops

G92 X0 Y0 Z0 E0 ;reset software position to front/left/z=0.0

G1 Z15.0 F{max_z_speed} ;move the platform down 15mm

G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length

G1 F200 E3 ;extrude 3mm of feed stock

G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again

;go to the middle of the platform (disabled, as there is no need to go to the center)

;G1 X{machine_center_x} Y{machine_center_y} F{travel_speed}

G1 F{travel_speed}

Hi Variador

Click on 'Ultimaker (volumetric)' in the top right panel

Click on the 'Machine' tab lower right panel

Click on the '...' button

Click on the 'Ultimaker (volumetric) specific' tab

There you will see 2 boxes where you can set your GCode Footer and Header

The first movement Netfabb does towards Y is where it scrapes the nozzle clean

After that it does a long priming ritual

I like to use 'Outline' for the Raft Type (on the Print Tab) which is a good amount of priming

Here are my Footer and Header

M190 S85 ; Turn HBP OnG21 ;mm as unitsM92 E866 ; orig = 866G90 ;Absolute PositioningG28 ;HomeG92 Z-0.7 E-5 ;Define current Z position - Make Z more negative for looser bondG1 Z0 F5000 ;Move Z to zeroM109 S%maxtemp1 ;Set Temp and waitG1 E0 F500 ;prime the chamber with filament 

G92 E-5 ; Define current E positionG1 E0 F500 ; Retract filament from ChamberM140 S0 ; Turn HBP OffM84 ;Disable Motors 

The G92 Z-0.7 command is to set my platform height so don't use that on your own machine as it will be different

Also I have Heated build platform settings which are a bit high as my thermistor readings on that are a bit low plus you wouldn't want those if you don't have a HBP

These are my settings on the 'General Settings' Tab

Thanks for the reply yzorg and owen.

Here is the code that has at least let me print in netfabb;

M104 S%maxtemp1

M92 E14

G21

G91

G1 X0.00 Y0.00 Z5.00 F500

G90

M109 S%maxtemp1

G28

G92 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00 E0.00

G1 E0.00

G1 X0.00 Y0.00 Z5.00 F600.00

M106 S255

E708.00

G1 X0.00 Y000.00 Z0.00 F15000

G92 E-300.00

The extruder head starts at home. Before it prints it moves to the back of the machine, hits the end stop where it grinds a little, and then it moves to where I have placed the model and starts printing. This is why I thought something was going on besides Gcode.

I will give your suggestions a try. Might get a chance Sunday morning. Then tell of the results.

BTW owen , when I use volumetric, the extruder moves to a place near the middle and starts extruding. The extruder never moves after that and it just keeps extruding until I cancel.

All,of this happens with the startup Gcode you get when you choose Ultimaker.

So thanks very much for your help, I find this confusing after I get over the frustration.