Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Franny500

Architects (and non-architects)!!!! Revit software, talk to me?

Good morning, good afternoon, good evening or good night to all :)

I have been speaking to architects over the last few months and have discovered a few different leaps of innovation regarding 3d physical model building when combining CAD software with our printers.

My question is, what is the best way to export to .stl from Revit? I have been speaking to different companies and they are struggling.

I sent this over, which is something my colleague sent me -

Hi Shaun,

Here’s what I got from Autodesk for converting Revit files to STL’s,

Exporting for 3D Printing from Revit

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-export-Revit-model-for-3D-printing.html

·         The add-in is available here:  STL Exporter 2016

But no joy has been gained yet. I have attached a couple of pictures from Cura, one of normal view and one of the layer view. I am not too architecturally/ Revit savvy, but the person I will be passing this info onto is.

All help greatly appreciated.

Edited by Guest

I am struggling to attach the pics. But basically what it shows in normal view, is not showing in layer view, so it's a file problem. Here is something the customer sent to me:

No real progress and frustrating. If I try to load a new model, its loads the same old geometry even if ive exported the new STL with a new name and of a new geometry.

Am I missing something, am I not clearing old geometry properly?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Not sure from the first pic what it is we are a looking at but the 2nd pic suggest a VERY small building. My guess would be that have a problem with wall thickness. I.E. you probably have a 0.4mm nozzle but if Revit is giving you a model with 0.2mm walls then you are likely to see what you are seeing. The problem might be because the original author built the model in Revit using say 0.2mm thick walls or there is something in the Revit export process which is creating say 0.2mm walls (due to a setting) (could be some sort of scaling) or there is a bug in Revit and that is what you get!