Forcing walls round adjacent objects.

ianeagland

Posted · Forcing walls round adjacent objects.

Hi

I wondered if this is possible.

I am producing fairly large boxes. I have found even with PLA it helps to have 2mm high flat extensions on the corners of the boxes to stop warping. These are then cut off. I am using thin walls and low density fill. This means where the extensions are cut off I am exposing the fill. Is there a way of forcing the wall perimeter to go round the object and treat the extension as a separate object. I have tried making the extension a separate part but If I place it as close as I need to Cura treats as all one object. If I move it away so that Cura does treat it as a separate object with its own wall it ends up too far away to stick to the main object. Is there any way round this?

Instead of adding the the extensions to the object. Try the hidden brim feature. Set the skirt distance to 0, this will make the skirt act differently and hug your object. Then if you set the line count to 10 to 20 it will make a nice flat piece around your print which you can cut off later with ease.

OK

I tried the hidden brim and it helped but was not as effective as the tabs I had been using. I think it is because the single layer is too week. My tabs are usually 0.8mm same as default base thickness. Is there any way to make the brim more than 1 layer thickness?

Regards

Ian

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies