Community Contest | a robot walks into a bar..

SandervG

Posted · Community Contest | a robot walks into a bar..

Hi Les,

I can imagine a wire and cotter pin leave to much room for the legs to move to left and right too, instead of just forwards and backwards. The walking robots we have barely have any play towards the sides. Probably that is where you can find room for improvement.

Take a breather, and see if you can find inspiration and motivation to give it another go :)

It all comes down to the holes:

' So when using a screw (or something else), drill all the holes. So when I did created more walking robots (scale 1:1.5), I used for example a M3 screw:

-drilling the body: D2.8 (okay fit for holding this M3 screw)

-drilling the feet: D3.2 (some clearance around the M3 screw, for 'frictionless' rotation)'

The STEP files are also on YM, if you feel confident you could do better with a print in place ;)

• Replies 70
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited) · Community Contest | a robot walks into a bar..

Updated design, no need for screws anymore.

Just use a piece of 2.85 mm filament instead.

Download the design: urobot_2hh_x1.25.stl

Improvements:

• 100% plastic: using piece of filament instead of M3 screw
    • Increased weight of feed & longer toes
    • Increased lower body weight
    • Decreased upper body weight
    • Scale: 1.25
    • Increased walking angle: around  10 degrees

urobot_2hh_x1.25_assembled.thumb.png.3f63c4401dda774348e06e1be522bb0c.png

urobot_2hh_x1.25_assembled.thumb.png.3f63c4401dda774348e06e1be522bb0c.png

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

test run ....

scaled 1.6x added a thin wall between the legs.

....... if they move to quick there falling down like a domino ......

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

test run ....

scaled 1.6x added a thin wall between the legs.

....... if they move to quick there falling down like a domino ......

haha this should be the new video clip of that song :p I could watch this all day.

Could it be.. that this challenge is too difficult for our community of experts??

.. is this working? Is anyone feeling challenged now? :p

Edited by Guest

Could it be.. that this challenge is too difficult for our community of experts??

Yes, I feel robotically challenged!

Yes, I feel robotically challenged!

So I printed and buit the robot made by some skilled combatant in this competition - thanks BTW - and it did not walk, not for me anyway. I roughened up the bottom of his little robot footsies to get better traction and that seems to help. Actually after some fitting with the X-Acto around the PLA hinge the thing sort of walked a little but not really. Then i got fed up and quit. Sigh.

Les

Ohh Les, giving up is for quiters! You are not a quiter are you? :p

Ohh Les, giving up is for quiters! You are not a quiter are you? :p

Grrr Sander, I am no quitter and I know when to cut my losses, but I have a new idea and I think I'll pursue it. I'm planning to design my own little robot!

• Like 1

Oh... I just saw this contest for the first time.... :(

Still plenty time to mill a bot out of aluminium :)

• Like 1

Oh yeah, found a better (wood) surface on which to test the new custom robot, which only has an underdeveloped body and legs/feet right now and is a female robot! Its purple too so maybe it's a minority lol.

5a331d21c5a8d_DupliGator-1(1).thumb.jpg.223c7553b02c65b118b5e334538761c1.jpg

OK so Sander challenged me to be a winner not a quitter, so I put a lot of time today into this wayward endeavor and now it's time for a POW-WOW! Pictured are my first attempt, so slack that she cannot even stand up. Or maybe she's on substances and cannot even stand up! Lol that was me back in my drinking days (sober 1.5+ years now). So the one on the right stands but her feet are so big and gently tapered and smooth on the bottom and she's not balanced so she just snowski's down the ramp.

What's good about both of them is that the hinges are print-in-place. Yep, no hardware or filament or pin or anything required! It uses the phenomenal bridging capability of the Ultimaker (a true luxury compared to my old Printerbot) to make hinge pins at the top of the bot's legs. So at least that is done right or nearly right.

The reason I say POW-WOW is I'd like some feedback on what to do next?

Les

Les be friends!

5a331d21c5a8d_DupliGator-1(1).thumb.jpg.223c7553b02c65b118b5e334538761c1.jpg

So brave to start from scratch :p

I really needed the arms to be able to add some weight, and adjust the weight front/back till I found a point where the thing walked.... without a bit more weight to the back mine fell over all the time....

So what to do next ? give the poor thing some arms and a head :)

and if she falls over or doesn't walk, have you tried playing around with the angle of the board walk? I noticed it is rather specific.

LesBot.thumb.png.c2b9de13d12fe2c2a0a0213f4aa93b61.png

My next iteration, complete with head, arms, hands, and of course boobs. i spent a lot of time on the boobs. Because everyone loves boobs. Men, women, even babies love boobs..

Les

Les make it happen!

LesBot.thumb.png.c2b9de13d12fe2c2a0a0213f4aa93b61.png

UPDATE! After over 40 hours of preparation and filming (more than 75 takes), I finally got the shot (big thanks to my patient wife!). With a little post-production work, I should have it ready and uploaded for consideration by Wednesday or Thursday.

Congrats Eraser, you had more stick-tuitiveness than I did!

Les

Les get the job done!

UPDATE! After over 40 hours of preparation and filming (more than 75 takes), I finally got the shot (big thanks to my patient wife!).  With a little post-production work, I should have it ready and uploaded for consideration by Wednesday or Thursday.

you sure know how to raise expectations :)

Curious to see what you have made Eraser!!

Make sure you don't miss the deadline of May 27th!

With great pleasure, I present to you my contest entry. I hope you enjoy watching it as much we enjoyed making it.

Scene was taken in a single shot, timed to match the sound track. The video has not been altered (e.g. the video has not been stitched together, sped up, slowed down, etc.).

The Ultibot was printed on my Ultimaker 2 from the file provided, scaled up 1.45 in all directions. I did not make any modifications to the Ultibot design. I designed the conveyor and crank assembly with Fusion 360, and printed it with the Ultimaker 2. If there is interest, I can upload my conveyor and crank assembly. With some experimentation, I found that the Ultibot likes walking on copy paper, so this is the material of the conveyor belt. The crank belt is an elastic hair band which runs on crowned self-centering pulleys. The conveyor includes a support plate that underlies the conveyor belt to prevent sagging.

The scenery is a 3D paper cutout work of my own design. Everything was cut out by hand, and assembled with double sided foam tape which provided some separation between the paper layers for a 3D layered look. The foreground and background elements were attached to lengths of cardboard and pulled across the camera's field of view. The foreground is 50% longer than the background to provide a parallax effect. The boat is mounted to its own cardboard, and moved independently of the foreground and background.

To execute the scene, my wife cranked the conveyor belt, pacing it to keep the Ultibot centered on the belt, and also took charge of the boat. I moved the foreground and background elements, pacing their relative speeds to align the transitions between the terrains (hills, water, desert, and urban).

The title screen was prepared in Photoshop, and the video was produced with Lightworks 12.

• Like 13

5a331d8f1b479_joyexplosion.jpg.3a3c3f159d96d4d0e10c6d43d8c37f1d.jpg

Phenomenal, giggle giving, wonderfully prepared!

OK, so you win this one hands down!

Les

Les predict the winner?

5a331d8f1b479_joyexplosion.jpg.3a3c3f159d96d4d0e10c6d43d8c37f1d.jpg