Scanners what to Buy

bob-hepple

Posted · Scanners what to Buy

Hi to all

been looking at scanners again David scanner

http://www.david-3d.com/en/

and the einscan

http://www.einscan.com/

does anyone have experience with these, Einscan is Chinese so I am a bit concerned about software I suspect software is the key hear,, if that's not good then you've got problems..

forget fuel 3d not interested in that one iMaker store is also selling a scanner Rangevision smart 3D not heard of these at all..

Thoughts Gents and Women

Posted (edited) · Scanners what to Buy

I have the Einscan-s, it's a great scanner with easy to use software, that is very good stitching separate scans together.

But I found out, that the advertises 20cm scan height on the turntable is only 16cm high in real use :(

but there is also the 70X70X70cm free scan mode.

The software always makes a closed printable version of the scan, after finishing,

there is currently no option in the software to scan a surface and to save it as a separate scan,

but I was told that you could export the separate scans in the project folder (freescan), to Meshlab or Meshmixer.

have a look here:

http://3dprintboard.com/forumdisplay.php?130-Einscan-S-3D-scanner

here are some examples of my first few scans:

Catwoman%20def.jpg

Rancor%202.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

My scans were done with the Einscan -s, not the pro version :)

the Einscan-s is around $1000,-

The pro version can be handheld, the S version must be in it's stand or a tripod,

and I believe the pro version also uses a different more pro software.

And don't forget you probably need a more beefy PC to cope with the software and files size :)

Edited by Guest

I haven't worked with the einscan-s yet, but it looks pretty cheap. The main issue I see with it are the lenses; It doesnt have lenses with apperature or changable focus. They are also S mounts, which means they are less sensitive, which should be noticiable in trying to scan darker objects.

They do use two camera's, which makes the calibration process a bit easier.

Before you start a scan you can choose and see in a preview screen, if you want to scan a bright or dark object,

it auto adjusts the brightness, and even has a option for objects that have both dark and light parts.

But with all light bases scanners, (projector or laser) you always have the problem of lighter and darker parts beings scanned differently, because of the light absorption.

I use that to draw shapes with a black marker on the support, so the software easily sees that lowered structure in the scan.

you do have a limit to what size and distance you can scan, but because the scan stitching software works fantastic, you can make scans of very large objects, as long as the software has a reference point to attach the next scan onto.

it even projects a cross onto the object, so you can see of the focus is a good distance from the scanner.

I have seen images of a large engine scan, and looks very nice :)

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the replies the einscan at £1,000 is cheap but there latest is treble that £4,000 what about the david scanner has anyone seen that it is German they don't tend to push out rubbish,,

I'm using david scanner, takes a little fiddling but cool stuff!!

Ok can we elaborate on cool stuff??? is it easy to set up! are you using the turntable! is the software reliable ????????

Ok can we elaborate on cool stuff??? is it easy to set up!  are you using the turntable!  is the software reliable ????????

I came up with my own turntable / active camera rig, arduino based. The software works well, there's some quirks but thats sort of par for the course I think. here's the link to their demo download: http://www.david-3d.com/en/support/downloads

I just pulled the trigger on a used Acer K11 for 100€ and I have a Logitech pro9000 laying around. No idea what quality I can get with David but I will post as soon as I have some results.

Thanks for the Reply I am going to a Show in September So einscan might be there, will have a good look then