another UMO extrusion problem

derek-bosch

Posted · another UMO extrusion problem

I've been having loads of issues with my UMO lately...

PLA plugs above the hot-end, mainly, so I ended up replacing the nozzle, PTFE coupler and bowden tube.

switched to a Ultimaker PLA filament as well. But then I started getting massive under-extrusion...

I can feed the filament fine by hand, without too much force. I've cleaned the knurled axel of the feeder...

tightened the spring down to 11mm. still no improvement.

curious if it is possible to over-tighten the spring? or other ideas of things to try...

• 2 weeks later...

still having major issues, the feeder itself seems fine, can push filament without the hot-end in play...

after I've cleaned the nozzle, atomic-pull, etc, a print will go fine for the first couple layers, then the print will get less and less dense until it finally stops extruding anything from the nozzle.

I've replaced just about everything in my UMO hot-end. Nozzle, Aluminum block, PEEK, brass pipe, PTFE coupler...

I'm wondering if my thermocouple might be bad - is there any way to diagnose this?

it is just about the only thing I haven't replaced!

really need help here, as I'm getting ready to chuck my UMO with a trebuchet :)

Do you have a contact probe temp sensor to verify that your nozzle is getting to the temperature the printer thinks it is? I recommend a contact temperature probe rather than a UV one for more accuracy.

The other way to test and see if it might be reading off is to see if raising the temperature makes a difference.

Do you have a contact probe temp sensor to verify that your nozzle is getting to the temperature the printer thinks it is? I recommend a contact temperature probe rather than a UV one for more accuracy.

The other way to test and see if it might be reading off is to see if raising the temperature makes a difference.

I don't, but I am getting one...

Using a temperature probe, the original thermocouple had wide swings of variance.

Tried replacing with a new thermocouple, but the diameter of the thermocouple replacement was quite a bit larger than the hole in the aluminum block, so I can't get the sensor fully into the block...

It definitely sounds like your original thermocouple was the problem to begin with, but it sounds like there is a problem with your new one too. Can you contact the seller about the replacement you bought?

It definitely sounds like your original thermocouple was the problem to begin with, but it sounds like there is a problem with your new one too. Can you contact the seller about the replacement you bought?

thanks, Erin... your company has already mailed a replacement :)

I really hope this solves the problems I've been having. The ONLY thing I haven't replaced in the hot end now is the heater itself...

Since the heater is either on or off, it should be the thermocoupler regulating the temperature causing the issues. Hopefully you'll have the part in a couple of days and all will be well, but if you have any questions/concerns please reach out again.

thanks, Erin...  your company has already mailed a replacement :)

I really hope this solves the problems I've been having.  The ONLY thing I haven't replaced in the hot end now is the heater itself...

this can also happen if your PLA is old or white and old or just tricky - try with as many filaments as you have, ad ideally the newest one that you have ..... even on quality PLAs I find they last on my shelf only a year before they go like this and I can then use them only in a .65 nozzle or bigger.

What he said....do the bend test on your filament...if it snaps, it's old.

What he said....do the bend test on your filament...if it snaps, it's old.

this is a brand new spool of Ultimaker filament...

I've bought "brand new" that sat on a shelf for a long time :)

I've bought "brand new" that sat on a shelf for a long time :)

fair enough. I will give it a try, but I've had similar issues with other spools as well

after replacement of the thermocouple, and checking the filament (did snap test, filament held together), still having extrusion issues. suspecting the feeder again... *SIGH*