Who offers Ultimaker 3D printer for good price for young designer start-up?

Posted · Who offers Ultimaker 3D printer for good price for young designer start-up?

hello! My name is Lucia and started to sell my 3D printed designs (brooches and earrings) just short time ago.

I am searching for used but good working 3D printer and i think Ultimaker is the best (i have tried to print on it in Fablab). Is here somebody to give me good offer (and support young designer?)

Thank you!

Link on my work: https://www.etsy.com/shop/Supolka

Posted · Who offers Ultimaker 3D printer for good price for young designer start-up?

The stock prices has come down of the UMO+ kit. I think that is a really good printer, more end user serviceable than the 2. Also I don't think the 2 prints 1.5x the money better than the UMO+

Buy one of those.

• Like 2

I've got nothing against the UMO+ but at 1650,- the UM2 is a pretty good deal, and vs the 1445,- of the UMO+ it's only 14% more ....

I've got nothing against the UMO+ but at 1650,- the UM2 is a pretty good deal, and vs the 1445,- of the UMO+ it's only 14% more ....

where are you shopping?

UMO+ is 995USD

UM2+ is 2,499USD

that is a 151% more

if you're paying that much for a UMO+ you should find a new store.

where are you shopping?

UMO+ is 995USD

UM2+ is 2,499USD

that is a 151% more

Well... yes, distributors make it interesting. In Europe: Germany, igo3d, UMO+ (incl. UltiC) 1.429,00 €. Italy (3ditalyshop, i guess UltiC included): 1195.00 €, Switzerland, digitec.ch 1499 CHF est. 1370.00 €... and so on...

I am really surprised that it's relatively inexpensive in the USA?

Posted (edited) · Who offers Ultimaker 3D printer for good price for young designer start-up?

I only see umo+ prices over 1400 in Europe..... at 995 vs 2499  I would also go for an umo+ and maybe add an um2+ upgrade kit.....

Edit. Ah Italy is interesting.... I only checked ne/de/be

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

where are you shopping?

UMO+ is 995USD

UM2+ is 2,499USD

that is a 151% more

Well... yes, distributors make it interesting. In Europe: Germany, igo3d, UMO+ (incl. UltiC) 1.429,00 €. Italy (3ditalyshop, i guess UltiC included): 1195.00 €, Switzerland, digitec.ch 1499 CHF est. 1370.00 €... and so on...

I am really surprised that it's relatively inexpensive in the USA?

Some of those prices may be including tax, some without tax... and tax rates are very different...

Wow, what a range. It is certainly not as attractive at those prices.

If the UMO+ price was 999€ I'd totally recommend it, and maybe in the future upgrade it with the UM2+ upgrade kit. It would be still cheaper than an Ultimaker 2.

All of this without considering that some people find the UMO+ a little bit ugly compared to the UM2, and as you seem to be a designer, you may want to display THE machine along with your items, and in that case I'd say the Ultimaker 2 is what you need.

The UMO+ just recently came down in price I think. When it was released a year and a bit ago, it was around $1500 USD I think.

I think one of the biggest advantages of the UM2 family over the UMO+ (they do both run the same electronics board and same heated bed, and now with the 2+ both have swappable nozzle tips), is the assembly. A lot of people assemble the UMO+ kits without an issue, but I know a lot of people also prefer not to be quite so hands on, and would rather have a unit assembled by someone with experience assembling the machines rather than assemble it themselves.

The UMO+ just recently came down in price I think. When it was released a year and a bit ago, it was around $1500 USD I think.

I think one of the biggest advantages of the UM2 family over the UMO+ (they do both run the same electronics board and same heated bed, and now with the 2+ both have swappable nozzle tips), is the assembly. A lot of people assemble the UMO+ kits without an issue, but I know a lot of people also prefer not to be quite so hands on, and would rather have a unit assembled by someone with experience assembling the machines rather than assemble it themselves.

You're right about that, the UMO+' price has dropped last month.

Assembling the UMO+ takes one full day, and if it's your first printer, it can take a little bit longer. At least last year Ultimaker offered an assembled UMO+ for an extra 100€, but I don't know.

Right about the assemble vs pre assembled differences, but also the um2 family (I'm pretty sure) is not as easy to work on, fix, or add modifications.

Which is a noteworthy difference, since at some point you will need to fix something, replace a loose belt, re-tighten a pulley set screw, realign the axes on the print head with the sticks, add an improvement or mod to make it better, etc...

And these will not be as easy on the um2 family since they were not made to be as easily end user serviced or moded like the UMO.

Full disclosure , I don't have experience doing these tasks on an um2 , I just have the videos and forum info to go on. So maybe I am overstating the UM2 serviceability difference.

Posted (edited) · Who offers Ultimaker 3D printer for good price for young designer start-up?

Right about the assemble vs pre assembled differences, but also the um2 family (I'm pretty sure) is not as easy to work on, fix, or add modifications.

Which is a noteworthy difference, since at some point you will need to fix something, replace a loose belt, re-tighten a pulley set screw, realign the axes on the print head with the sticks, add an improvement or mod to make it better, etc...

And these will not be as easy on the um2 family since they were not made to be as easily end user serviced or moded like the UMO.

Full disclosure , I don't have experience doing these tasks on an um2 , I just have the videos and forum info to go on. So maybe I am overstating the UM2 serviceability difference.

It's not more difficult compared to an Ultimaker Original+, although most users would find more trouble doing some maintenance due to a very simple thing: assembling an Ultimaker kit makes you see how everything works, it's a learning process. Ultimaker 2 users may not fully understand what causes a problem and that may lead to unnecessary tweaking before realizing that it's Y and not X what it's not working.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Having worked on UMO+ and UM2 machines flowalistik, I definitely agree with your assessment. Putting the machine together yourself does make it that much easier if you have to service it. Having the open sides does also make it easier to get at things like the pulleys and endstops if you need to change out parts.

I had a lot of experience with the UM2 machine before I ever set my hands on a UMO+. As far as assembling/disassembling/repairs go, I think you can access the pulleys easier to swap out the belts on the UMO+, but at the same time, I prefer assembling the UM2 XY axes to the UMO+ axes by a big margin. The UM2 pulleys all go straight to the ends of the rods, and the set screws hold them in place. Having the pulleys sit some way in on the axes was a little disorienting for me the first time I put together a UMO+.

The bed and electronics are the same. There are the differences in the printhead, but with the Olsson block on the UM2+ and the aluminum block with separate nozzle, those feel like they are starting to look more similar again. And now both have the geared feeder.

It's not more difficult compared to an Ultimaker Original+, although most users would find more trouble doing some maintenance due to a very simple thing: assembling an Ultimaker kit makes you see how everything works, it's a learning process. Ultimaker 2 users may not fully understand what causes a problem and that may lead to unnecessary tweaking before realizing that it's Y and not X what it's not working.

• Like 1

If you want a machine for business you need 2 machines. I would get a um2+ and a umo+ and upgrade it with gt2 pulley/belt um2 sideblocks and um2+ upgrade kit. This way you learn to assemble the um+ and mod it so it prints like a um2.

Or just two um2+. With just one machine you won't be able to keep the production going if anything goes wrong. If your parts are small you could go with a um2go for backup and a um+. That will give you knowhow and two machines for the price of one um2.

• Like 1