Solved Ultimaker 2+ does not power on following failed firmware upgrade

GeorgeWinterborn

Posted (edited) · Solved Ultimaker 2+ does not power on following failed firmware upgrade

Printer: Ultimaker 2+ with most recent Cura version (however, I also made attempts with the Beta)

Computer: 2010 Mac Pro running current OS

Connection type: USB

I was in the middle of a print when I was installing Cura. As a part of the install, Cura prompted me to upgrade the machine's firmware. Though I was in the middle of a print, I figured it would just give me an error message if upgrading while printing couldn't be done. The upgrade "timed out," per the resulting error message.

Simultaneously, everything on the printer stopped working. The only thing that remained functional on the printer was an LED light shining through the control button on the front of the printer, which was a greyish blue. However, after turning the printer off, then back on, nothing happened at all. There is no indication, on the printer itself, that power is reaching it.

The power brick is functioning normally with a blue LED.

I read through the forums and saw the suggestion to reinstall the firmware. Despite the printer giving no indication that it is powered, I attempted this about ten times. I get the same time out error each time, with the suggestion to check arduino drivers if I'm using Windows.

I don't know how to tell if Cura is recognizing the printer, because if i tell it to add a new printer it will seemingly add printers to an infinite number. Under "Machine" in the menu bar is a checked Ultimaker 2+, as well as all the unchecked,  hypothetical machines I added to try to see if the computer and software were recognizing the printer.

The computer seems to be able to tell when the printer is plugged into the USB, as the attempted firmware installs won't begin unless the printer is both plugged into the USB and the power switch is turned to "On." It seems to also recognize the Arduino unit inside the printer, as I installed the Arduino software to attempt to check that out, going through the motions and executing the "Blink" code (even though i can't see it), and it never gave me any kind of error. The only error I received from that software was when I downloaded the Marlin stuff from the wiki and tried to run that manually through the Arduino -- I got a bunch of syntax errors.

I've put in a ticket with the support people, and so far we've just done the obvious "see if it works" stuff.

I'm putting this up here partly looking for an explanation, and partly wanting to document the situation for anyone who has my exact problem. There were other similar posts, but they were either resolved by things that didn't work for me or never resolved at all.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Solved Ultimaker 2+ does not power on following failed firmware upgrade

[uPATE]

As an update, attempt 75 to install the firmware made it farther than previous attempts -- about half way -- before timing out. Right after it timed on, the printer came to life for seemingly no reason.

I'm currently running a test print of Coffin's Cube. We'll see how that goes.

Posted (edited) · Solved Ultimaker 2+ does not power on following failed firmware upgrade

UPDATE 2

I continued to try to complete a single firmware install, not being sure how the firmware is being written to the device (in real-time packets, or collected and installed only if all packets are collected). So, I worried that only parts of the code might be present -- like when executing manual updates to code packets for Unity projects, etc.

This caused the printer to do the exact same thing again.

I have tried completing a firmware installation on several versions of Cura.

Is anyone else having problems with a setup similar to mine, perhaps specifically with El Capitan 10.11.4?

[EDIT]

This is pretty infuriating.

I'm starting to consider just returning the machine and going with the DeltaWASP I was considering in place of the Ultimaker 2+. This machine had a strong backing, large community, and longer history, so I thought it'd be the optimal choice. However, it's a little disheartening that it seemingly can't install its own firmware because of some instability either with the software, the firmware, or the hardware.

I've had it for two days and have been able to use it a total of three hours. I don't like the idea of having a three thousand dollar piece of hard ware and requiring a support ticket on Day 2.

That's not to be negative, and I understand other users aren't having problems, but this is borderline unacceptable.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Solved Ultimaker 2+ does not power on following failed firmware upgrade

You can't update firmware while it's printing, I don't think I've come across any type of hardware you can update firmware on while it's still working to be honest. When you connect the USB cable and the Arduino inside starts chatting with the computer, it restarts which looks like the printer lost power and came back to life again.

Do you have access to another computer to try on? That would remove one variable from the equation.

One other thing to test is to check what COM port number that the printer is emulating. I assume OSX has the equivalent to Windows device manager where you can check that. Then put in the correct port number under Machine -> Machine settings -> Serial port. Sometimes the autodetect doesn't work as it should. It does sound like it's connecting like it should, but still, doesn't hurt to try.

Oh and this one might seem dumb, but have you tried a different USB cable? I had a camera a while back that behaved really weirdly, turned out the cable was crap.

• Like 1

I don't know if 2.1.4 boards are different but on my 2.1.1 umo+ boards I uptaded their firmware with 10.11.5 beta El Capitan just fine 2 weeks ago. Using a macbook pro from 2013 and a macbook pro retina 2015. I just use old cura for the firmware upload.

If you have any other app that uses the usb try to remove it and remove any other usb (external mouse, usb ports, etc). Also just in case even when it shouldn't affect also any thunderbolt port.

My machine settings for cura 15.04 buadrate auto, serial port auto. But if I have s3d open I can't upload a firmware since s3d uses the port as soon it sees it. So try to kill any other usb app. I even remember that with my wacom on I think it acted weird. For the usb cable I just use the one that came with the machine. A bit long but works. Also, don't connect the usb with the computer on. On old osx versions sometimes it did hang the whole computer. So I just plug the usb with the ultimaker and computer off (or hibernating) and then I turn all on, wait for umo+ to be ready and I open the mac and go cura, upload firmware etcetc.

• Like 1

The UM2 series printers (and the pluses) are very sensitive to weak USB signals or bad USB cables.  Often it helps to switch computers and cables.  But mostly computers.  Some computers have a much more powerful USB signal.  Some people have purchased a cheap ($10?) USB buffer and that often helps quite a bit.

Also try turning the brick completely off until the blue light goes out (may take 10 hours but you can speed it up by turning the printer on while brick is unplugged from house power and then plugging brick back in).

• Like 1

The cables are fine. They also came with the printer. It was attempted on three separate computers with one other pair of cables.

A check through the forums shows that I'm not the only user suffering this problem, and the support people seemed to be pretty familiar with it. They just weren't really able to help me.

This isn't my first rodeo. I use machines like this almost every day. Trying different computers and cables were amongst the first things I tried. What I couldn't tell was how Cura recognized the printer.

---

Yes, OSX has a device manager. The computer recognized the printer. The problem was with the arduino unit not being able to receive the firmware.

---

To clearify, only once did I attempt the firmware update during a print, the following 67 attempts came while the machine was not running (or giving any indication it was even on, short of being seen by the various computers).

On the 67th attempt, the firmware finally uploaded completely.

---

The USB cables are fine. Two raspberry pis and one unassociated arduino were able to receive code and function through connection to the machine and the USB cables.

It was entirely the printer.

However, I stuck with it, because I do like the community and the prints i've seen from other people's machines are superior to the Makerbots and other "enthusiast" printers around here.

What I don't like is now being terrified to ever update the firmware, ever again. I don't want to be stuck with 6 days of uselessness.

---

All of that said, I have been printing some somewhat complex character and creature models I made for other projects, and they're coming out pretty sweet looking. Most of them seem like two coats of primer would remove the print patterns. Since the heated bed makes the bottoms of prints glass smooth, printing more complex models in sections and gluing them together is basically undetectable, especially after a few coats of primer and finish.

I'm pretty excited to start making some prints for molding and casting.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.

My advice to anyone having my problem is, "just keep trying, even though it seems counterintuitive."

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Been there, done that. Common fault due rubbish USB cables (ex. from aliexpress). I did update my UM2 today. It failed the way, display was blank, no even steppers/motors noise. I changed USB cable (from HP printer) and did complete update.

Done on MacBook Pro 2012, macOS 10.12.6.