Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
thevictor11

Broken brass tube

I noticed a leak mid print and decided to stop it to clean it. It came out from between the heater block and the brass tube. I keep the heat going to make sure nothing solidifies and slowly unscrew the parts. The brass tube snaps kinda like this ultimaker-hot-end-v2-broken-brass-pipe.jpg

Except that both ends are completely stuck in other pieces :cry: I just sent support an email but holy crap. Stressed to the bone right now. The worse part is, even if I get a replacement part I have to figure out how to get the 2 wires out of the heater block. They were a huge pain to get in. I just tried to remove the smaller one which I believe is the temperature monitor and the sleeve started to pull back which isn't a good thing. I also tried pushing the other end with a long screw but it is definitely stuck in there.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do?

UPDATE: managed to to free the part from the heater block. For some reason when I was trying before the temperature had dropped low enough for the parts to "stick" .

Expensive indeed. The reason I was messing with mine to begin with, was because the PTFE piece in my UMO+ had started to deform, leading to jam after jam.

I doubt that I'll be able to get the brass tube out of the PEEK insulator now, so I just ordered a full hot end kit. It was over 80 Euro with duty and postage, so I decided to get a backup kit from China as well, for slightly less than 25 Euro.

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I had to vent my frustration somewhere.

By the way, why is it brass? Wouldn't steel be much stronger, and maybe even have less thermal conductivity?

Edited by Guest