Sudden Problem with Rough Edges on Prints

Posted · Sudden Problem with Rough Edges on Prints

Hello All!

I am in need of assistance. I attached a photo of my issue. Suddenly I have been getting "Boogers/Warts" on my prints. I can't figure out why and it's driving me crazy. I use my printer for work and I print the same parts over and over and I've never had this problem before. I haven't changed any of the designs or the gcode, nor have I changed the material. I've done some research and I'm leaning towards this being a moisture issue but I am not hearing popping while printing and I even tried a brand new spool of filament.

Here are some specs:

-2 year old Ultimaker 2

-Olsson Block

-Original Feeder

-Printing with ColorFabb XT Green at 240C, 70C Build Plate, 50mm/s speed

Here is what I've tried doing in hopes of remedying my situation (all done separately):

-Leveled the build plate

-Printed on a clean build plate

-Cleaned and lubricated all rods

-Tried brand new roll of XT filament

-Tried other filaments (ColorFabb PLA and ColorFabb nGen)

-Set extrusion to 95%

-Set extrusion to 105%

-Printed at 90% speed

-Replaced nozzle with brand new nozzle (.4mm)

Like I said, I'm going crazy. I made no changes to the printer, design, or the filament before this started happening. If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You!

Colton

image2.thumb.JPG.9c9c2e049f3135777e1aea1b857fe211.JPG

Try printing at half speed. It sounds like you are printing lots of these and want to print them fast but just try it. Actually try 20mm/sec just to see if this fixes the problem.

Most of the time cutting the speed in half will get rid of these bumps. If you printed multiple of these parts on the same print bed then it could be a leaking/stringing issue but that's not what it looks like.

Also check and make sure the infill speed is the same as the print speed.

If you want to print this faster, use a .8mm or 1mm nozzle - because there are no sharp corners you will loose no quality and you can print in half the time with the same layer height and print speed and you can probably speed it back up again (less pressure build up in the nozzle with larger nozzle).

Posted (edited) · Sudden Problem with Rough Edges on Prints

Oh - and if slowing it down fixes the problem and you never used to have the problem (as you say) and you didn't slice with a newer version of cura then the problem is most likely related to the nozzle anyway and just has some buildup which gives it extra pressure and printing fast (higher pressures) is what tends to cause these bumpouts.

So instead of using a larger nozzle (I strongly recommend that for this part!) you could just burn out the nozzle to ash and maybe also soak it in acetone overnight and maybe also do a few cold pulls and maybe scrape the nozzle a little with a nozzle cleaning tool (what country do you live in as where to get a good nozzle cleaning tool varies by country - please update your profile). Or just buy a new .4mm nozzle from 3dsolex.

Edited by Guest

Thank you for the reply! Last night I changed my nozzle temp from 240 to 230 and that helped tremendously. There are still bumps but not nearly as many.

I will try slowing it down to 20mm/s tonight and see if that helps and I will try a large nozzle. I will also try cleaning out the nozzle - it's due for a cleaning anyway...

I'm in Chicago - thank you for the tip to update my profile - I just filled it out.

So since your are in USA, know that if you buy anything from my store you will get a free steel nozzle cleaner that fits in in nozzles .35mm and larger:

gr5.org/store/

I've had a similar issue. In my case the rough areas always occurred in the same place each time. After a similarly long list of trying many of the same unsuccessful remedies, I replaced the nozzle which fixed the issue.