Ulticreatr 2X: Dual extrusion for Ultimaker 2 and Ultimaker 2+

Posted · Ulticreatr 2X: Dual extrusion for Ultimaker 2 and Ultimaker 2+

After 18 months of development and an infinite amount of iterations we're ready to announce this great piece of news!

Introducing the Ulticreatr 2X: Dual extruder upgrade for Ultimaker 2 and Ultimaker 2+ 3D printers.

We too think that Ultimaker 3D printers are currently the best desktop machines but still know there's something missing.

That something is called Dual Extrusion.

What does it bring?

It brings a whole new dimension to desktop 3D Printing!

Dual extrusion with the Ultimaker 2 allows:

- SOLUBLE SUPPORT STRUCTURES: 3D Print soluble support structures that can be dissolved easily and quickly. No more geometry limits and support structure removal scars.

soluble-wide.thumb.jpg.8b39cc56b002ef52e95d4845907f61aa.jpg

- DUAL MATERIAL: Combine materials inside the same part: hard core and soft shell is a great example of this.

- DUAL COLOUR: Two colour prints are great to show certain surfaces of the part. They look great too!

- DUAL DIAMETER: Speed up 3D Printing by combining two different nozzles: a more precise one for the outer-inner surfaces and a larger one for stronger infill and superfast 3D prints.

Here's a photo of what it contains:testo3b.thumb.png.6fb11f1805621b51bcad047984cddf33.png

MATERIALS

A major breakthrough is the development of compatible soluble support for PLA and PLA/PHA blends. In collaboration with a chemical partner we have developed:SM-310, a soluble material that quickly dissolves in Limonene (natural source) and can be easily and reliably 3D printed.

SOFTWARE

Ulticreatr 2X works with all common slicing software: Cura, Simplify3D and Slic3r to generate the correct toolpaths and do the required tool change operations. There are dedicated slicing profiles available for download that can be quickly imported.

The Ulticreatr 2X is available in two versions: Ultimaker 2 and Ultimaker 2+ version. The latter includes only one of the latest Ultimaker 2+ feeders.

The kit is available now and starts from € 495.

For more information write on this forum thread or send us an email at: info@creatr.it or check out our website: www.ulticreatr.com

soluble-wide.thumb.jpg.8b39cc56b002ef52e95d4845907f61aa.jpg

testo3b.thumb.png.6fb11f1805621b51bcad047984cddf33.png

• Like 4

Why we need the help of the community?

Let's make Ultimaker SW Engineers put Dual Extrusion at the top of the list of things needed for the new Cura so that we can all use our favourite latest software ;)

Posted (edited) · Ulticreatr 2X: Dual extrusion for Ultimaker 2 and Ultimaker 2+

It's a bit unclear what 'mods' are needed for um2 non plus or umo+. Also the photo shows 2 extruders boxes but only one motor. So I assume that's an error? A bit of info about what's included (even if it's a vague information) could be nice. Also, I would like to see more print shoots with print time and basic settings used.

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · Ulticreatr 2X: Dual extrusion for Ultimaker 2 and Ultimaker 2+

It's a bit unclear what 'mods' are needed for um2 non plus or umo+. Also the photo shows 2 extruders boxes but only one motor. So I assume that's an error? A bit of info about what's included (even if it's a vague information) could be nice. Also, I would like to see more print shoots with print time and basic settings used.

Sure. The UM2 does not require any mods. We just supply an extra UM2+ feeder and feeder motor.

The UMO+ requires that you make yourself (or buy) the parts to hold the alluminium brackets (in the kit we only supply the bottom one). Also you need to make a piece that holds the new UM2+ feeders. Lastly you need to change the firmware so that it supports dual extrusion. In future we will have a dedicated solution but we're currently focused on UM2 and UM2+.

Why do you say 2 extruder boxes and one motor? There are always two motors and two feeders.

In the photo you can see the configuration of what's included (UM2 version): Two UM2+ feeders, two UM2+ feeder motors, bottom alluminium bracket, fan bracket, 5V fan and cables, 2 isolators, 2 springs, 4 couplers, 2 T-RINGS (under the couplers), two bowden tubes, 4 heater cartridges and 2 sensors, 8 nozzles, 2 heater blocks, 2 spacers, screws, feeder front and back plate, alluminium heatsink, tools, firmware, manual.

Edited by Guest

You don't really need the comunity for that. Cura 2.2 will already have much better support for dual extrusion (Because we haven't forgotten about people who bought the experimental dual upgrade ;))

• Like 2

I see, sorry I must be blind :D

So it's like a um2+ kit but it uses springs instead of the fixed spacer and ofc dual extrusion system. Interesting. I like how you solved the dual motors space. Hopefully that much weight on the same area won't be a issue.

Wait wait... so you are also selling an extruder upgrade only?

http://www.shop.creatr.it/en/um2-spare-parts-and-upgrades/201-feeder-upgrade-ultimaker-2.html

Is that the "official" one?

On and when I am in your shop, I can only choose between Italy and UK as my country - neither is which I life in ^^

Edited by Guest

http://www.shop.creatr.it/en/um2-spare-parts-and-upgrades/201-feeder-upgrade-ultimaker-2.html

All the feeders and feeder motors that we sell are original and supplied by Ultimaker. The product that you linked only includes the feeder and the feeder motor + the bracket that we make in Italy.

On and when I am in your shop, I can only choose between Italy and UK as my country - neither is which I life in ^^

Yes we're still finalizing the online shop for foreign countries, At the moment it is better if you send us an email so you can order it like that. Thanks.

@sambianchibazzi:

Does their methode a nozzle lift or the like.

@sambianchibazzi:

Does their methode a nozzle lift or the like.

We tried both with nozzle lifting and without but we opted to not include all the necessary parts to do so. The isolator has space to fit a flat spring but we found that there weren't any noticeable improvements but only more difficulty and complexity. Our initial versions had this feature but we have it so that it works good even without nozzle lifting.

So how do you prevent oozing from the idling nozzle?

To be honest I'm far from convinced. Seems like the classic fixed setup. So I see a new cooling block, but apart form that what does this kit bring? I need to see many more close up photo's and video.....

To me the most interesting of this post is the availability and price (99,-) of the separately sold new + feeder.

Congratulations Sam for your hard work, we are curious to see how it works. You have kept us in the dark for a long time ;)

I think it is important to state that regardless of what the marketing and video might imply this is not an official Ultimaker product. Development has been done solely by Sam and Creatr.

To me the most interesting of this post is the availability and price (99,-) of the separately sold new + feeder.

99,- (tax excl.)

I understand this is an easy way to mount the feeders, but the handle on the 2th feeder will be difficult to reach, and you have totally no visibility on the feeder anymore, and with this feeder and the official filament change routine you may need to remove some plastic sometimes with a pair of tweezers.... (it helps/prevents a lot when you use the wedge)

2feeders.thumb.png.42dfa703a4a6e081641c16e8b2d39f2d.png

I see a few extra teflons are supplied... raising the question if the air cooling is sufficient....

4teflons.thumb.png.638cc729e09fbead11d17e5d6dd469e1.png

@sambianchibazzi: talking about cooling, is that why you print on blue tape (I assume with the heat bed off) as the UM2 power supply can handle the 2th extruder also with heated bed on.

Curious to see where this goes :D

• Like 1

Congratulations Sam for your hard work, we are curious to see how it works. You have kept us in the dark for a long time ;)

I think it is important to state that regardless of what the marketing and video might imply this is not an official Ultimaker product. Development has been done solely by Sam and Creatr.

Thanks Sander! Yes indeed. The product is called Ulticreatr 2X, is developed and made in Italy. I hope I made that clear.

The reason for the name is: ULTI since the upgrades made are to work for Ultimaker and CREATR since this is the name of the main company. That makes Ulticreatr.

Edited by Guest

To be honest I'm far from convinced. Seems like the classic fixed setup. So I see a new cooling block,  but apart form that what does this kit bring?  I need to see many more close up photo's and video.....

Far from convinced in what terms? What do you still need to think that this is a working and easy to use dual extrusion setup? What video do you need?

OK. I'll go the extra mile :) why don't you send us a part that you want to see printed, we print it and I'll send you the photos and maybe a timelapse?

I understand this is an easy way to mount the feeders, but the handle on the 2th feeder will be difficult to reach, and you have totally  no visibility on the feeder anymore, and with this feeder and the official filament change routine you may need to remove some plastic sometimes with a pair of tweezers.... (it helps/prevents a lot when you use the wedge)

I see a few extra teflons are supplied... raising the question if the air cooling is sufficient....

nope. The lever is easy to access, the only difference is that you can't see if the motor is turning. Not a big problem since you can easily hear the motor and check if the filament is moving. I can send you a photo if you like tomorrow.

Regarding the couplers: those couplers are relatively cheap so there is no reason to sell a kit without some spares. As you may confirm: the first thing you need to replace (a part from filament) is the coupler so we just saved you shipping and lost time after about 400 hours of printing ;)

I understand this is an easy way to mount the feeders, but the handle on the 2th feeder will be difficult to reach, and you have totally  no visibility on the feeder anymore, and with this feeder and the official filament change routine you may need to remove some plastic sometimes with a pair of tweezers.... (it helps/prevents a lot when you use the wedge)

nope. The lever is easy to access, the only difference is that you can't see if the motor is turning. Not a big problem since you can easily hear the motor and check if the filament is moving. I can send you a photo if you like tomorrow.

Regarding the couplers: those couplers are relatively cheap so there is no reason to sell a kit without some spares. As you may confirm: the first thing you need to replace  (a part from filament) is the coupler so we just saved you shipping and lost time after about 400 hours of printing ;)

Air cooling is sufficient. Unless you put the printer in an oven. Although I wouldn't suggest it unless it's turned off.

The only thing that isn't sufficient is the power supply. We cannot run the heated bed at the same time as the heater cartridges so the startup procedure is the following:

- Heat the bed to 70°C

- power off the bed and heat the nozzles.

- start printing. Like this the first layer sticks perfectly to the bluetape. Both PLA and the soluble SM-310 stick well.

To be honest I'm far from convinced. Seems like the classic fixed setup. So I see a new cooling block,  but apart form that what does this kit bring?  I need to see many more close up photo's and video.....

Far from convinced in what terms? What do you still need to think that this is a working and easy to use dual extrusion setup? What video do you need?

OK.  I'll go the extra mile :)why don't you send us a part that you want to see printed, we print it and I'll send you the photos and maybe a timelapse?

No need for any special object, just print f.e. the famous 2-color tree frog by nervoussystem

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:329436

I'dd like to see a video where we can also see the wipetowers, and close up photo's without cleanup...

I suspect due to the aircooling that it takes pretty long to heat/cool the 2 hotends during each change, how long does it take? what hot/cold temperatures do you use? This does not need to be a problem (dual printing on f.e. the felix also takes ages) but people need to be aware of it.

The lack of a lifting system produces an extra risk of damaging the part with the cold nozzle, obviously a dual extruder will per definition increase the failure rate of prints, I'm curious what the failure rate is with your setup.

I like the fact that you use 2x olsonblock, at least this makes it easy to remove the 2th nozzle, so this setup will not negatively impact your single nozzle prints.

My personal experience tells me precise leveling the height of the 2 nozzles is not that easy. I damaged quit a few hot-end-isolators in the process.

No video will convince me this dual setup is 'easy'. Single extruder 3d printing is not even 'easy'. Any dual setup will make it exponentially less easy..... if you've seen my magnetic changer experiments you know I gave it a try :)

The only thing that isn't sufficient is the power supply. We cannot run the heated bed at the same time as the heater cartridges so the startup procedure is the following:

- Heat the bed to 70°C

- power off the bed and heat the nozzles.

- start printing. Like this the first layer sticks perfectly to the bluetape. Both PLA and the soluble SM-310 stick well.

I guess that's cause you use the 35W heaters. with the 25W heater you would be ok, but I understand you want to use the 35W for faster heatup. I think you could look into this more, f.e at the 3Dsolex method used to implement the heatbed into the UMGO. I just would not like to use bluetape.