Ulticreatr 2X: Dual extrusion for Ultimaker 2 and Ultimaker 2+

Posted · Ulticreatr 2X: Dual extrusion for Ultimaker 2 and Ultimaker 2+

You could sell the kit with other power supply, like the one I have on one of my umo+ from meanwell

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/8466-ultimaker-origional-and-dual-extruders?page=2#reply-94667

Yes we know that is quite easy to solve by adding a small electronics board but decided to opt out at the moment.

So how do you prevent oozing from the idling nozzle?

We don't have such a big issue with oozing..we have a brief pause about 5s, the nozzle gets ready and then we print the wipe tower/skirt.

To be honest I'm far from convinced. Seems like the classic fixed setup. So I see a new cooling block,  but apart form that what does this kit bring?  I need to see many more close up photo's and video.....

To me the most interesting of this post is the availability and price (99,-) of the separately sold new + feeder.

Far from convinced in what terms? What do you still need to think that this is a working and easy to use dual extrusion setup? What video do you need?

OK.  I'll go the extra mile :)why don't you send us a part that you want to see printed, we print it and I'll send you the photos and maybe a timelapse?

No need for any special object, just print f.e. the famous 2-color tree frog by nervoussystem

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:329436

I'dd like to see a video where we can also see the wipetowers, and close up photo's without cleanup...

I suspect due to the aircooling that it takes pretty long to heat/cool the 2 hotends during each change, how long does it take? what hot/cold temperatures do you use? This does not need to be a problem (dual printing on f.e. the felix also takes ages) but people need to be aware of it.

The lack of a lifting system produces an extra risk of damaging the part with the cold nozzle, obviously a dual extruder will per definition increase the failure rate of prints,  I'm curious what the failure rate is with your setup.

I like the fact that you use 2x olsonblock, at least this makes it easy to remove the 2th nozzle, so this setup will not negatively impact your single nozzle prints.

My personal experience tells me precise leveling the height of the 2 nozzles is not that easy. I damaged quit a few hot-end-isolators in the process.

No video will convince me this dual setup is 'easy'.  Single extruder 3d printing is not even 'easy'. Any dual setup will make it exponentially less easy.....  if you've seen my magnetic changer experiments you know I gave it a try :)

Challenge accepted. We actually don't use 2x olsson block. I don't understand why you damaged your isolators..

To be honest I'm far from convinced. Seems like the classic fixed setup. So I see a new cooling block,  but apart form that what does this kit bring?  I need to see many more close up photo's and video.....

To me the most interesting of this post is the availability and price (99,-) of the separately sold new + feeder.

Far from convinced in what terms? What do you still need to think that this is a working and easy to use dual extrusion setup? What video do you need?

OK.  I'll go the extra mile :)why don't you send us a part that you want to see printed, we print it and I'll send you the photos and maybe a timelapse?

No need for any special object, just print f.e. the famous 2-color tree frog by nervoussystem

I'dd like to see a video where we can also see the wipetowers, and close up photo's without cleanup...

I suspect due to the aircooling that it takes pretty long to heat/cool the 2 hotends during each change, how long does it take? what hot/cold temperatures do you use? This does not need to be a problem (dual printing on f.e. the felix also takes ages) but people need to be aware of it.

The lack of a lifting system produces an extra risk of damaging the part with the cold nozzle, obviously a dual extruder will per definition increase the failure rate of prints,  I'm curious what the failure rate is with your setup.

I like the fact that you use 2x olsonblock, at least this makes it easy to remove the 2th nozzle, so this setup will not negatively impact your single nozzle prints.

My personal experience tells me precise leveling the height of the 2 nozzles is not that easy. I damaged quit a few hot-end-isolators in the process.

No video will convince me this dual setup is 'easy'.  Single extruder 3d printing is not even 'easy'. Any dual setup will make it exponentially less easy.....  if you've seen my magnetic changer experiments you know I gave it a try :)

Challenge accepted. We actually don't use 2x olsson block. I don't understand why you damaged your isolators..

The light bulb was a 30hour or so print. About 180mm high.

Toolchange takes approximately about 6-10s. Depends on the material.

Toolchange takes approximately about 6-10s. Depends on the material.

That's actually pretty quick, if you take f.e. the Ultibot (336 layers) and assume you need to switch every layer, it would add about 45 minutes to a 1 hr print.

Till what temp. do you let the nozzle cool thats not in use?

We actually don't use 2x olsson block..

Ah I see, you also designed a new block? what thread do you use? is it compatible with the "olsson block nozzles" (or E3D)? at least for single nozzle printing? can you share why you don't use the olsson block?

It looks a lot like the olsson block :) pretty impressed by the promo video now lets see a real timelapse ^^

I'm also curious to understand how oozing and head crashes are managed without lifting

• Like 1

TreeFrogMark2.thumb.jpg.2e03f6608239da998b4d867228820d76.jpg

While the tree frog is a good test to check x/y/z offset and to see if the idling nozzle is smearing, color distribution is almost 50/50 and "color islands" are not that small.

I found the dual color benchy a bigger challenge. There are longer idling times for one color and the door frames are really flimsy.

P1070555.thumb.JPG.cd55f2490fde55e367886e653f6507ec.JPG

TreeFrogMark2.thumb.jpg.2e03f6608239da998b4d867228820d76.jpg

P1070555.thumb.JPG.cd55f2490fde55e367886e653f6507ec.JPG

• Like 2

I would take 25W heater + hot bed solution.

• Like 1

Hi,

seems like a really great work. I am really looking forward to your videos. I am very interested in your kit but some more test feedbacks would make my buying decision a lot more easy.

best regards

flo

How do you level the nozzle to each other?

Did anybody actually by the double extrusion kit by now? Do you have any feedback?

We are waiting for feedback before purchasing.

They "accepted the challenge" to provide more detailed photo's and video's about a month ago....

• Like 1

They delays in providing detailed information raise a few doubts in the kits abilities.

• Like 1

I have some info and details.

The nozzles are leveled with steel's insulator which is screwed or unscrewed.

Let's wait for some more news, I'm curious about it

• Like 1

Sorry for the late reply. We've been busy getting everything organized and been at a trade faire last week.

Can someone link the dual colour benchy file so we can test it out and show the results?

Here is what we woke up to today ;)

Benchy with 0.4mm nozzle and 0.2 layer.

Just need to remove the really light stringing there is and it's perfect,

File_001.thumb.jpeg.50d243e5cf2e8a29be2f91603d9f4cd0.jpeg

File_007.thumb.jpeg.3fdc1296e908dbddda22cf038b6622b4.jpeg

File_005.thumb.jpeg.0ce31d3d77c7bd47788f98be59ba9dee.jpeg

File_003.thumb.jpeg.d42195f7f3b81e4b1cc2bb487db955de.jpeg

Tomorrow maybe we can print it with 0.1mm layer, I need to check how many other prints we still need to do.

BTW. This is what we'll wake up to tomorrow..

5a331e256ed89_File_000(1).thumb.jpeg.61b04a15cdadcce6d92fba328cbbbe6c.jpeg

Hope you guys like it!

File_001.thumb.jpeg.50d243e5cf2e8a29be2f91603d9f4cd0.jpeg

File_007.thumb.jpeg.3fdc1296e908dbddda22cf038b6622b4.jpeg

File_005.thumb.jpeg.0ce31d3d77c7bd47788f98be59ba9dee.jpeg

File_003.thumb.jpeg.d42195f7f3b81e4b1cc2bb487db955de.jpeg

5a331e256ed89_File_000(1).thumb.jpeg.61b04a15cdadcce6d92fba328cbbbe6c.jpeg

• Like 1

UPDATE: We'll soon be able to use heated bed + heater cartridges during the print. This will help for big dual colour PLA, ABS, CPE, Nylon prints.

I have some info and details.

The nozzles are leveled with steel's insulator which is screwed or unscrewed.

Yes correct.

Here is what we woke up to today ;)

Benchy with 0.4mm nozzle and 0.2 layer.

that's looking pretty good!

How long did the benchy take to print?