Ulticreatr 2X: Dual extrusion for Ultimaker 2 and Ultimaker 2+

Posted · Ulticreatr 2X: Dual extrusion for Ultimaker 2 and Ultimaker 2+

About 4 hours.. Simply because it prints the massive prime tower quite slowly. We need to speed that up and it will take much less time.

But still. It can take as long as it wants as long as it prints that good!

Posted (edited) · Ulticreatr 2X: Dual extrusion for Ultimaker 2 and Ultimaker 2+

My personal experience tells me precise leveling the height of the 2 nozzles is not that easy. I damaged quit a few hot-end-isolators in the process.

No video will convince me this dual setup is 'easy'.  Single extruder 3d printing is not even 'easy'. Any dual setup will make it exponentially less easy.....  if you've seen my magnetic changer experiments you know I gave it a try :)

Challenge accepted. We actually don't use 2x olsson block. I don't understand why you damaged your isolators..

Woops forgot about this. We're doing a 100 hour print and have all the other printers busy too. Will update next week probably... Edited by SandervG

About 4 hours.. Simply because it prints the massive prime tower quite slowly. We need to speed that up and it will take much less time.

But still. It can take as long as it wants as long as it prints that good!

sure, I agree reliability is more important than speed.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I recently bought the kit and upgrade all the hardware on my ultimaker 2, but when I went to the website (http://ulti.creatr.it/en/support/2x/firmware.html) to download the firmware and click on the link it simply refreshes the page and doesn't download any file.

Could you help me with this,

I tried to update the printer with the standard firmware in cura but it doesn't recognize the second nozzle.

Hi and welcome,

This upgrade isn't supported by Ultimaker, i would advise you to get in contact with creatr.it directly to resolve your issue... i just hope they are more active in answering mails than posting things in this thread!

• Like 1

Hi and welcome,

This upgrade isn't supported by Ultimaker, i would advise you to get in contact with creatr.it directly to resolve your issue... i just hope they are more active in answering mails than posting things in this thread!

Many thanks for your reply,

I was hopping that they would be in this community,

Since by email, it's been 3 days since my last e-mail and still no answer.

Regards,

Hi,

I am also looking for the files. The Cura-Patch is available here:

http://ulti.creatr.it/en/support/2x/cura-uc2x-v1-2.ini

Following the easy syntax you can find files for the hex-files:

http://ulti.creatr.it/en/support/2x/Ultimaker-2-Ulticreatr-2X-v1-1.hex

http://ulti.creatr.it/en/support/2x/Ultimaker-2Extended-Ulticreatr-2X-v1-1.hex

Unfotunately the gcode-Files are not available via this method. I don't know if the hex-files are the correct ones but I also want to start working with my kit as soon as it arrives (I ordered today)

Best regards

Florian

The Cura-Patch is available here:

Dead link :(

Could you also provide feedback on the kit once you get it sorted. It will be good to see how it goes. Quality of hardware and how well it prints.

Posted (edited) · Ulticreatr 2X: Dual extrusion for Ultimaker 2 and Ultimaker 2+

I'm certainly interested in this product but given that the Ultimaker team themselves felt they couldn't deliver a satisfactory duel extruder of their own,  i'm a little wary of putting to much faith in something developed by a third party.

Therefor i would like to suggest, if the guys at Ultimaker are willing, you could send them an upgrade kit to try out then they could give their feedback direct to this very thread.

It would be a win win situation. People like myself would be reassured and thus more likely to buy if we could read a positive review from an knowledgeable and independent judge and who better to judge than than the people who make the printer for which add-on is intended.

On an unrelated point. i just wanted to say, wile i think its great that your engaging with your customers through this forum i think a lot of the information that people want to know could have been anticipated and put on your web page.

Edited by Guest

As the guys selling this kit are official Ultimaker resellers as well, I'm pretty sure Ultimaker has an eye on that kit. However, rating a third party product can be a tricky thing for a manufacturer.

The Cura-Patch is available here:

Dead link :(

funny, I just copy pasted this link from their website. I hope the kit is better than the installation tutorial. Otherwise I will have a lot of fun...

Could you also provide feedback on the kit once you get it sorted. It will be good to see how it goes. Quality of hardware and how well it prints.

Yes sure. I really hoped that other people would do this and I can just read it, but I couldn't wait any longer and will try to give as specific infos as possible

• Like 1

I think somebody should directly call them, it would be easier than wait about an email...

In fact when you see the kit, it's just a double upgrade kit system so I hope that the innovation is in the firmware control because if not, I can't believe that Ultimaker isn't able to validate a satisfying result with their own creation !

So how do you prevent oozing from the idling nozzle?

We don't have such a big issue with oozing..we have a brief pause about 5s, the nozzle gets ready and then we print the wipe tower/skirt.

Really enjoyed this thread, thanks everyone .

I don't like the tower method I see the nozzle cross over the print to get the tower. could drop filament scraps on print.

The purge walls makerbot uses i think works better than that.

ED

Edited by Guest

The only thing that isn't sufficient is the power supply. We cannot run the heated bed at the same time as the heater cartridges so the startup procedure is the following:

- Heat the bed to 70°C

- power off the bed and heat the nozzles.

- start printing. Like this the first layer sticks perfectly to the bluetape. Both PLA and the soluble SM-310 stick well.

This was disappointing to read. Are you using the 25 watt heaters?

Ed

Hi,

I am also looking for the files. The Cura-Patch is available here:

Following the easy syntax you can find files for the hex-files:

http://ulti.creatr.it/en/support/2x/Ultimaker-2-Ulticreatr-2X-v1-1.hex

http://ulti.creatr.it/en/support/2x/Ultimaker-2Extended-Ulticreatr-2X-v1-1.hex

Unfotunately the gcode-Files are not available via this method. I don't know if the hex-files are the correct ones but I also want to start working with my kit as soon as it arrives (I ordered today)

Best regards

Florian

Please keep us updated on the duel quest.

Ed

Hi there,

has anyone tested the Ulticreatr 2X dual extension meanwhile?

Can't find any reviews on the web of it, that would be a prerequisite for me to buy to find some confirmation of reviews of community that it actually works.

Cheers,

Conny

Has anyone ever heard again from UltiCreatr and/or "sambianchibazzi"?

Doesn't seem to me that they still exist. Have send them messages but they don't respond.

I am still waiting for my package. I called them 4 weeks ago and they told me something about missing parts for which they are still waiting. "It will be sent as soon as possible" and stuff like that.

I still hope the product will be shipped sometime soon. Otherwise I will have to think deeply about what to do next with my order

Like many of you, I'm waiting to see more of these upgrade kits out in the wild. I love the idea of dual extruding on my UM2+, but if it requires a priming/wipe tower to do every dual print, I can't say I'm happy with that. I've seen a CTC Bizer Dual Extruder machine at work, and there was no requirement for any kind of tower. Granted, that was on the dual extrusion hazard cone model, so perhaps it didn't require it.

Anyway, would love to see some more samples of this in action and even a detailed video walkthrough of installation.

I'll be patiently waiting.

Hi @dancorrigan,

Have you see this mod? It is definitely an interesting approach and shows quite some potential :)

Hi @dancorrigan,

Have you see this mod? It is definitely an interesting approach and shows quite some potential :)

Pretty cool. I like the concept. I don't like the loss in Y printing space though. Any idea why Ultimaker chose not to include dual extrusion out-of-the-box for the UM2+ ?

With this mod you only loose space when dual printing. You just click the extra head station off and have full xy space for singe nozzle printing !

Pretty cool. I like the concept. I don't like the loss in Y printing space though. Any idea why Ultimaker chose not to include dual extrusion out-of-the-box for the UM2+ ?

Because it requires larger changes to the printer to make a reliable dual extrusion printers (just adding that second nozzle in a fixed position like most manufacturers do... that will never work reliably and out-of-the-box, ruining the Ultimaker experience)

Hi @dancorrigan,

What @Meduza said. It would have involved either very complex modifications to your trustworthy Ultimaker 2(+) with risks or such an expensive upgrade to cover all that, that would be unreasonable to charge. Hence, we did not feel comfortable unleashing that on our community and we felt the user experience was too important to mess around with.