Beyond Slideblocks for umo to use um2 shafts/hotend

Posted (edited) · Beyond Slideblocks for umo to use um2 shafts/hotend

This it's atm an unfinished design, but so far it's working perfectly (12h print time) so I think it's ok for now.

What it does

- Can use larger um2 hotend x/y rods or umo shafts.

- It changes/shifts the height of the shafts to match the um2 setup

I won't do a installation manual since I want to avoid beginners until I do at least 2-3 weeks of use since something might happen and I prefer that it happens to me rather than someone else.

The goal, it's to gain more print area, to match the um2 print area but for that this will need more than just printed parts, like:

- Rearranging x/y endstops

- Drilling 2-4 holes for the endstops new positions.

- Probably it would need a custom firmware to use the new endstops 0 as the end of the bed because if you just invert x/y... it should just work? I need to read more about how um2 works with the endstops on the other side, probably it's simple.

- New start/end gcode head to avoid hitting the bedclips, like um2 does.

- More tests

Problems so far

- The slideblock on the back, the one near the Z shafts, when using a 25mm m3 screw to fix the slideblock, it might hit the shafts, so far I fixed on mine using just 20mm m3 screws since it grips the slideblock just enough, but that's isn't the best solution. By making the umo addon screw hole 1mm deeper the problem should disappear.

- It need's a great deal of force to take out the umo shafts, this could be easily fixed changing the slideblocks-umoshaft part so it doesn't grip like um2 but just two half circles (pretty much like twisterblocks that the design it's based on).

So...

Umo shafts, with a um2 hotend, works. OFC it's muuuuch simplier to print the rotated top part that meduza has on youmagine. But I don't want to just upgrade to um2 hotend, but gain the extra print area.

I won't do more updates on this until I get lots of free time. But the next step it's just to get 2 um2 x/y rods and test the grip/stability.

Files are on https://www.youmagine.com/designs/beyond-umo-um2-slideblocks

Update 19/05/16:

- Added V3 of the slideblocks.

-Much improved umo shaft grip, and fixed some stuff with the bottom slideblock.

- Parts are set 'ready to print' no supports needed for any part.

- V3 now has improved the GT2/MXL belt grip and now it has a hole for M3x10mm screw to 'Grip' the um2 shaft. It's very important to 'mark' the holes before assembling everything with a screw or with a m3 cap (if you use pla with a screw it's very easy and fast to do).

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

Posted · Beyond Slideblocks for umo to use um2 shafts/hotend

Hi Neotko,

Great idea of making larger building area for the UMO, just by making own adapters, in order to use "next generation" parts from ultimaker to upgrade your UMO...

This is the way to upgrade an Ultimaker!

Regards

Torgeir.

• Like 1

V3 uploaded to youmagine and main post updated.

So far a week of print with this v3 and it's working perfectly, no hiccups.

Thinks to test:

- Um2 shafts. I'm very confident on my v3 solution to grip the shafts firmly using the gt2/mxl internal part.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Hi! Thanks for sharing...

Right now ordering the stuff to port my UMO to GT2 belts with an UM2 head setup and corresponding (longer) shafts, so just want to make sure that I order the correct belts. Are 606mm GT2 are ok or do I need 610mm...?

I have two slideblocks that I made with @Gudo

One is for fixed length, the one used on the mxl to gt2 mod page, and other that we did for open belt with tension adjustment.

So, you can go either way.

I will upload a new Beyond Slideblocks soon, but if they aren't inline when you need them drop me a pm.

• Like 1

Thanks for feedback!

The only thing I fear is that the 303 teeth, 606mm long closed loop belt too short to be clamped with the "beyond V4" block - which I'd like to use to change the upper/lower position of the xy-rods to be able to use something like a "UM3-style" head without interfering...

Posted (edited) · Beyond Slideblocks for umo to use um2 shafts/hotend

On all my 3 umo+ I use 303 tooth belts, with UM2+ hotends (modded) and they fit well, using the same central shafts align like um2.

IMG_6428.thumb.JPG.e86ffa0ef80969186c07c5b1c25bb503.JPG

(don't mind the print quality much, since I print this stuff as fast as possible)

This is the latest Neo-Gudo slideblocks:

5a333a89d5385_Capturadepantalla2017-05-12alas13_44_27.thumb.png.07c90f0d9e9e288718f73277fa77d5c3.png

This ones only work with open belt, I had to cut some tooths (like 3-4 I think) to use it. Also I have another version that is for closed belt. I think open belt is quite nice, being able to tighten them is quite nice. But also, the closed belt did work without loosing tension for a year+ and I print a lot.

But ofc, this new slideblocks use M2.5 screws, otherwise they would use more space. The advantage ofc, is that you gain a few mm on print area, and changing the endstops + firmware you could use the long central shafts of a um2 to use the whole bed like a um2. But so far I never did that mod because I never print anything bigger than 20x20

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Thanks, that helps a lot in odering the parts... will see how long it takes :-)

Maybe until the stuff arrives, this new version is also available.

Again thank you for your efforts!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, great work!

I will give them a try as soon I can source new bushings. Accidentially ordered 8x12x30...

... or is there enough material to fit the blocks to those bushing dimensions?

It could be done, but they might not work for um2 hotend since it would require to move the screws a bit lower and would hit the um2+ fans. Or they might fail to work for um3. Could be done ofc.

ah... to much efforts - I just order the right ones :-)

Thanks!