Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Katieb

Love DesignSpark but....

Hey there,

I really need some advice please!!

I use Design Spark to draw all my prints. I love the interface, its very user friendly and I get great results. The issue I have is that I design for other people and once I have saved the design, I cannot edit it if my customer wants to make changes. Im going crazy and wasting a heck of a lot of time re-drawing the designs.

So, is there a really simple, very easy program I can use to edit my stl or rsdoc?

I have played with Meshmixer and Blender but its all too complex for me!

Thanking you all :)

Cheers

Spaceclaim can deal with (some..) STL and all rsdoc, so it can be used to f.e output a .step from a rsdoc. but a legal copy is pretty expensive.

The best free option that outputs many formats a.o. step is Fusion360 (free for makers and small business i believe).

http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/learn-training-tutorials

• Like 1

If you correctly save your designs in the native DesignSpark Mechanical format (RSDOC-files), then there should be no reason why couldn't edit them afterwards. I have made hundreds of changes to my existing prototypes.

So, could you verify that you save each design as an RSDOC-file first?

If that is okay, but you still can't edit existing files, then the problem is probably somewhere else: wrong user rights on a file or directory? If so, try copying them to a FAT32-formatted device (USB-stick), and back, that removes all user-rights.

I would suggest for each design and each version of a design to save the files as follows:

- Always save it as an RSDOC-file first (double check you have the correct format, RSDOC, since DSM defaults to the last used save-format).

- Then save it as a JPG-file: this makes it a lot easier to browse through your designs with an image viewer and select the correct item for further editing. Very handy if you have hundreds of files.

- And only then save it as STL for printing. You can't edit STL-files in DSM (or at least not without a lot of problematic tricks, and with loss of design-info).

Geert