Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
DaHai8

Cura 2.1.1 Bug - Slicing Loop

The .json file? Sure.

The print bed is actually 180x180 but the print head home is -40,-40. So I was trying to create a print platform 260x260 with a 40mm disallow border all around so auto-centering of objects would work. Since that caused Slicer looping, I reduced the size to 220 x 220 and just a left and front 40mm wider disallow area.

Here's the profile. I used prusa_i3.json as the template:

{   "id": "aurora_a3",   "version": 1,    "name": "Aurora A3",   "manufacturer": "JG Aurora",   "author": "Other",   "icon": "icon_ultimaker2.png",   "platform": "prusai3_platform.stl",   "file_formats": "text/x-gcode",   "inherits": "fdmprinter.json",   "machine_settings": {       "machine_heated_bed": { "default": true },       "machine_width": { "default": 220 },       "machine_height": { "default": 180 },       "machine_depth": { "default": 220 },       "machine_center_is_zero": { "default": false },       "machine_nozzle_size": { "default": 0.4 },       "material_diameter": { "default": 1.75 },       "machine_nozzle_heat_up_speed": { "default": 2.0 },       "machine_nozzle_cool_down_speed": { "default": 2.0 },       "machine_head_shape_min_x": { "default": 75 },       "machine_head_shape_min_y": { "default": 18 },       "machine_head_shape_max_x": { "default": 18 },       "machine_head_shape_max_y": { "default": 35 },       "machine_nozzle_gantry_distance": { "default": 55 },       "machine_gcode_flavor": { "default": "RepRap (Marlin/Sprinter)" },       "machine_disallowed_areas": { "default": [             [[-110.0, -110.0], [-110.0, 110.0], [ -70.0, 110.0], [  -70.0,  -110.0]],             [[-110.0,  110.0], [ 110.0, 110.0], [ 110.0,  70.0], [ -110.0,    70.0]]       ]},       "machine_start_gcode": {           "default": "G21 ;metric values\nG90 ;absolute positioning\nM82 ;set extruder to absolute mode\nM107 ;start with the fan off\nG28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops\nG28 Z0 ;move Z to min endstops\nG1 Z15.0 F9000 ;move the platform down 15mm\nG92 E0 ;zero the extruded length\nG1 F200 E3 ;extrude 3mm of feed stock\nG92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again\nG1 F9000\n;Put printing message on LCD screen\nM117 Printing..."       },       "machine_end_gcode": {           "default": "M104 S0 ;extruder heater off\nM140 S0 ;heated bed heater off (if you have it)\nG91 ;relative positioning\nG1 E-1 F300  ;retract the filament a bit before lifting the nozzle, to release some of the pressure\nG1 Z+0.5 E-5 X-20 Y-20 F9000 ;move Z up a bit and retract filament even more\nG28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops, so the head is out of the way\nM84 ;steppers off\nG90 ;absolute positioning"       }   }}

Hmm, I added a machine with your machine definition as posted above, and slicing works as expected in 2.1.1 for me. Did you test with any specific model? Is the slicing-loop 100% reproducable for you? What platform (win32/win64/linux/osx) are you using?

(Note that I did find an interesting bug where the model is being sliced even if it is in the machine_disallowed_area; I'll report that and get it fixed)

Did you set the machine_width and machine_depth to 260?

I also need to apologize. I didn't do a good job testing. I test more models and it appears to be happening to only one in particular out of 6 that I've now tried.

It's this thing in particular that causes the looping in Cura 2.1.1 only when the machine_width and machine_depth are set to 260. It slices fine and prints great with smaller machine sizes:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1581003

Edited by Guest