problems getting prints off the blue tape

spunkhart

Posted · problems getting prints off the blue tape

I read about problems with the material not sticking on the blue tape.. well I have the opposite problem..

I can not get my printed objects off the blue tape without destroing (at least) the tape.. it just sticks there..

I tried different knifes and scrapers those do not work hunky-dory...

How do you get your objects off the tape?

consider the blue tape a disposable item (when you redo the tape, you don't need to redo the whole bed, just parts that you need). a nice, mildly sharp 3-5cm putty knife helps lifting it off the tape... it may also help to dial down your zero point on the Z axis a tiny bit: if the first layer get's "smeared" into the blue tape too well, it's more difficult to separate them... the trick is to get "just good enough" adhesion.

I heard a different type of blue also helps. But getting your start Z perfect is also a great help. Lowering your printing temperature also helps in this case. But I have the same problem, I just learned to retape it often. I might go heated build platform one day just to get around this.

consider the blue tape a disposable item..

Yup.. For larger bits, I'm lucky to get more than 2-3 prints before redoing the tape.

I use the wider 2-inch stuff, which is pretty quick to replace and is pretty cheap to buy..

Get your hands on some 3M #3434 blue tape. It has a smoother finish than #2090 tape you got with the UM. It is ideal for small to middle sizes prints, and I use it pretty much all the time. I can get more than 50 prints on it now without changing tape. (depends on how good you Z axis is positioned and the temp, I print at 195 C). It does not stick as hard as #2090 and the printed parts have a smoother downskin. The only downside is if you are printing a large part that is prone to curling, the #3434 won't have enough grip and it will curl up a the ends a bit. But if you aren't looking for absolute precision even that is not a problem, I've done very large prints on it with relatively small bases and have yet too see a print come off. For me the best part about it is that you can remove all the parts by hand, no tools necessary, which prolongs the life of the tape because you're not scratching away at it all the time.

Might it be a solution to lower the print temperature at the beginning, and as soon the first layers are printed, to rise it (as far as this is technically feasible)?

I always use a giant kitchen knife to get underneath the edge and then i use the blade as a leaver.

For small prints I use a small thin painter's spatula. Just work it around the edges lifting gently and it comes off no problem.