Axis moving different distances

Posted · Axis moving different distances

Hi, I'm having an issue with my self built UMO, i just installed an E3D Hot end, which seems to have caused the Y axis to move much less than the X axis for some reason. Before i had no issues with this. I have checked marlin, and the steps per mm are the same for each of the x and y axis. Im stumped. Anybody got any ideas as to what this could be?

Thanks, Sean.

Hello,

First time to post and I would like to piggy back onto this post as well. I just inherited a UMO with the upgraded heat bed, currently getting max temp warning from the bed that would not allow the printer to run, so I disabled it, I will tackle that after this issue.

I too am having an issue with distance on an axis. Mine is the z(height). When calibrating the bed as it asks you to move the bed up to the nozzle you can do it in .2 or 10mm. When I push Up 10mm the plate actually moves up about 24mm???? Now when I try to print a 10x10x10 cube I get a 10x10x26.5.

Please help us out on our issue.

Thank you all in advance

Hi @Dirtrider07, welcome to the forums! @SJDrummond too! :)

Could you check if you have uploaded the correct firmware?

The UMO with a heated bed has a different Z-motor and you should upload the firmware for the UMO+. Perhaps that should help.

About the max temp error, when does this happen? Could you upload a picture of the top of your printhead? Did it do this from the start or only occasionally?

And Sean, linking your axis issue to your hot end doesn't really make sense right now for me. For me what would be most obvious is if during installation some belts or pulleys got loose.

Are your short belts tight?

Could you run by all 12(!) pulleys and tighten the set screws like you have never tightened anything before? Remember not to forget the ones on the X and Y motor (but you probably should start with Y). Good luck both!

Hey SandervG,

I don't remeber it giving me the option to pick the firmwear, this is the first time I used it and loaded cura 15.04.5. I do not have a unicontroler on it so it runs right from the pc. On the initial setup it asked which UM you had, I chose "Original", then it has check boxes for any upgrades like the heat bed, I did not pick the heat bed so it would not register, it then told me to hit the " Upgrade Firmwear but did not say what version nor did it give me the option too. Is there a location on the web to allow you to chose what firmwear to use?

The max temp issue comes into play on the heat bed, would the top of my print head have anything to do with the bed? Again I am a new user and inherited this machine that has troubles so I am systematically trying to eliminate one issue at at time.

Thanks for you patience with me as press forward to hopefully some fun and fantastic printing

Hi SandervG! Thanks for your reply!

Just went round tightening all of the screws, every single one was as tight as i could possibly get it.

The only other thing i have changed recently was the 12V regulator to the switching regulator such that i could use a 24V supply, could this have had an effect on the motors?

Its a strange problem, When prints come out, they print well, but just squashed in the y direction.

Hi @DirtRider07, thank you for your reply!

You don't have an UltiController? Did you get your Ultimaker second hand?

I thought it has been a while since we sold the Ultimaker Original without an UltiController.

I would definitely recommend getting one if you don't. (it is the display that is mounted on the front.)

Can you take a picture of how your electronics look like? Just to establish if you have an Ultimaker Original or Ultimaker original +.

If you want to upload your firmware, first you select which machine you have (make sure it is the right one, and then choose install default firmware.

Regardless, if you open Cura 15.4 you can select Machine (first say no about downloading latest firmware) > add new machine > select Ultimaker Original. > Install default firmware.

Hi @SJDrummond,

Not sure.. electronics is not my field of expertise.

Could it be you are overheating your stepperdrivers?

Posted (edited) · Axis moving different distances

Managed to fix it! Turned out it was the steppers overheating! adjusted the pots, and eventually got it going! However, the head is only moving half as much as it supposed to, it appears that all axis is coming out half scale!

Having thought about it for a bit longer, i realised it wasn't just that they were overheating! So i had two different types of drivers for the motors, one was the A4988 and the others were the upgraded DRV8825. Both have different micro stepping, 1/16 vs 1/32, hence why one axis was moving more than the other! After accidentally blowing up the A4988 i replaced it with a DRV8825, which corrected the issue! I then had to correct the steps per mm for the new micro stepping.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Managed to fix it! Turned out it was the steppers overheating! adjusted the pots, and eventually got it going! However, the head is only moving half as much as it supposed to, it appears that all axis is coming out half scale!

Having thought about it for a bit longer, i realised it wasn't just that they were overheating! So i had two different types of drivers for the motors, one was the A4988 and the others were the upgraded DRV8825. Both have different micro stepping, 1/16 vs 1/32, hence why one axis was moving more than the other! After accidentally blowing up the A4988 i replaced it with a DRV8825, which corrected the issue! I then had to correct the steps per mm for the new micro stepping.

Hello. I'm in the process of replacing the original stepper drivers on my UMO. I got the DRV8825 from amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3YHJ9J/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and would like to get some pointers and steps on how to install them. Here's some of my questions.

1. What is the orientation on the board of the stepper driver for the X, Y, Z and Extruder motors?

2. Are there any hardware adjustments (ie, pins, wire plugs orientations) that I need to follow?

3. What are the changes needed on the firmware?

4. What are the stepper voltage values that I need to set each drivers. In what direction does the "pots" rotate to increase/decrease the values?

A clear cut step by step guide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.