Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
2go

A few questions about UM2 hot end parts

Hello,

I have a few questions after reading forums for a day and wanting further improve my Ultimaker experience.

1. UM2+ comes with TFM coupler and 9.4mm solid metal TFM spacer instead of spring. I wonder whether this combination would fit UM2 hot end (I use UM2GO). Is the distance between two hot end metal plates the same in UM2 and UM2+ series? Currently I am using glass-filled PTFE and a spring, would like an upgrade.

2. Every online Ultimaker reseller has a bowden tube for UM2 in stock. They all claim that it is not UM2GO compatible. Makes sense, I think the one for UM2GO should be shorter? Where do I find one that fits? Just cut the one meant for UM2 to size?

3. What's the practical difference between TFM couplers from Ultimaker and TFT couplers from 3dsolex? Also, if I were ever to purchase I2K upgrade from 3dsolex, would I need to shorten TFM/TFT coupler by the exact height of this I2K thingy?

Thanks!

Edited by Guest

3dsolex can sell you a 1mm shorter coupler.

3dsolex and ultimaker I think they both use the same tfm.

You can print a spacer 1mm shorter. I used one done on pla for a month. Plenty of time to print one on abs/carbon/xt/ngen

Bowden, indeed you could just cut the area that goes to the feeder (easier to do a bad cut there) but the entrance has a bigger bore to allow easier filament load, I use an exacto knife to do that).

Tfm couplers don't work well with the spring compresion it's better a spacer (printed or metal).

Thanks @neotko

One more quick question. If I were to acquire new fan bracket from 2+ extrusion upgrade (horizontal fans instead of tilted), would it fit UM2 style printhead? My friend is buying the extrusion upgrade and he does not need new fan bracket, he uses a printed one.

• Like 1