Cura FAQ

SandervG

Hi All,

With such a big change in the Cura software coming up, I think it would be a good idea to start documenting this FAQ list. These are some of the common questions we have received so far and I plan to update this document based on the questions that follow. Besides the other regular forum topics about software and Cura, feel free to post and discuss questions below this thread. I'll update this document frequently based on the input we receive.

Before you start, make sure to read the manual to learn about the basics.

Which platforms are supported by Cura and what are the minimal system requirements?

Cura supports the most common platforms of Windows, Mac and Linux, follow this link for a complete list with minimal system requirements.

Does Cura support multi core slicing?

No, unfortunately Cura does not support multi core slicing.

How do I perform an update of Cura?

Cura does not have a built-in update system. Cura will notify you if there is a new version, asking if you want to dowload it. Alternatively, you can follow this link to download the latest version of Cura.

Cura can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer, what now?

By default MAC OSX prevents opening applications that are not in the official App store. There are 2 workarounds for this issue. If you follow this link we'll tell you all about how to open Cura anyway.

What file formats do Cura support?

Cura supports the following 3D file formats: 3MF, OBJ and STL. upported 2D images are: bmp, gif, jpg & png.

Which third party printer brands are available in Ultimaker Cura?

A complete list of 3rd party printers can be found here. If your 3D printer is not listed, follow this link to understand what to do next. (No no, it does not lead you to the Ultimaker product page.. but towards a tutorial on how to create a Json file).

How can I fix Cura stuck on splashscreen?

Cura might be stuck on splash screen, because the system is not OpenGL 2 compatible, which is part of the system requirements. If this is not the case, resetting Cura will help.

How do I reset Cura to factory settings?

It might be useful to reset Cura and start fresh, for example when using it for demo purposes or when your computer is available for public use. Follow this link to learn how to do a factory reset in Cura.

How do I update my Ultimaker firmware?

Updating your firmware is not very complicated. Make sure your bed is empty. And connect your Ultimaker to your pc through a USB connection and select your Ultimaker type in Cura. Turn your Ultimaker on and go to ‘Extensions’ → ‘Firmware’ → ‘Update firmware’. For a step by step description, follow this link to update your firmware.

How can I adjust my machine settings manually?

The new Cura uses a different strategy to add new machines to the software.

Curious to find out how to change your machine settings? Follow this link and learn how to alterate your Json file.

Why is the Cura 3D viewer slow on my macbook with Retina display?

Mac systems with Retina display open in high resolution by default, which in some cases lead to performance issues. You can switch to a default lower resolution setting. Follow this link if you are interested to learn how to make Cura perform faster.

Why is my wireprint not visible in layer view?

Since wireprint is an experimental way of printing on multiple Z-heights per layer, this feature is not visible in the layer view.

My 3MF file is not loading (properly), how can I fix this?

When the 3MF file does not load properly, you could try the following:

1. Visit this website to repair your model

2. Upload the 3MF file.

3. Download the repaired model file.

4. Load the repaired model file in Cura.

Why can’t I use special characters like !,@,& in my g-code filename?

The operating system(s) prevent the user from using special characters, because they are used in system specific files.

Why is my build plate showing grey border, where I can’t place my model?

The grey boarders on the edges of the build plate are a visualization of the skirt and brim margins.

How do I change my slice settings on a certain height? (Tweak at Z)

The slice settings can be changed per height using post processing plugins. These plugins can be found here.

• Like 2

Hi guys, loaded the new Cura, rebooted the computer, gone into Cura setup my machine and preferences in the system, loaded a part to check and test out, and it sits there saying "preparing to slice..." And going nowhere.

Any suggestions?

Izzy

Same here. Models that took 1-3 seconds to slice using legacy Cura, now take 10-60 seconds. And a few models say 'preparing to slice' until I run out out of patience after 30 minutes.

Hi guys, loaded the new Cura, rebooted the computer, gone into Cura setup my machine and preferences in the system, loaded a part to check and test out, and it sits there saying "preparing to slice..."  And going nowhere.

Are you on Windows? At first launch after Windows install, Cura is sometimes unable to connect to the engine. This can cause the slicing to remain at "preparing to slice". Restarting Cura should correct the connection problem.

Problem solved, there was a problem with my antivirus, it would allow previous versions to run ok but the new version it would block part running, I have now authorised the various aspects of the new Cura and its running fine

• Like 1

Hi,

Cura 2.1.2 can not load 3mf file.

I uploaded stl to modelrepair.azurewebsites.net and download 3mf file.

Unfotunatelly Cura can not load it.

Error message says: "Failed to load" I don't know it is a modelrepair bug or cura bug.

Unfortunatelly it is possible to download fixed stl file in 3mf format only.

Previously I could upload stl and I could download stl too.

Any idea how can I solve it?

Hi,

Cura 2.1.2 can not load 3mf file.

I uploaded stl to modelrepair.azurewebsites.net and download 3mf file.

Unfotunatelly Cura can not load it.

Error message says: "Failed to load" I don't know it is a modelrepair bug or cura bug.

Unfortunatelly it is possible to download fixed stl file in 3mf format only.

Previously I could upload stl and I could download stl too.

Any idea how can I solve it?

I'm guessing that the 3mf version that they use is incompatible with ours.

Posted · Cura FAQ

Are there different 3mf files? How can these be distinguished from each other?

Have you tried these steps?

There are different revisions of the .3mf standard.

Posted (edited) · Cura FAQ

I hope, Cura will support all 3mf format soon.

I have found a workaround!

Earlier, I used this site to fix stl to stl format:

http://modelrepair.azurewebsites.net

But now, this site redirected to

http://tools3d.azurewebsites.net

and I can download fixed model in 3mf format only. Unfortunatelly Cura  2.x.x does not support this 3mf file.

But I have found this site:

http://netfabb.azurewebsites.net

what is fix model from stl to stl, so I can load it in cura again.

I hope, this site  will work for long time!

Edited by Guest

Cura does support 3mf in version 2.1.2. Just open it.

Cura does support 3mf in version 2.1.2. Just open it.

Cura 2.1.2 could not open 3mf (what fixed in http://tools3d.azurewebsites.net).

That was main issue what I mentioned.

You can try it yourself too!

Edited by Guest

Problem still exist in Cura 2.3

I can not load 3mf file what are fixed on http://tools3d.azurewebsites.net. (I uploaded stl and downloaded 3mf)

Now I can not print anything :(

Does anybody experienced same problem? How do you solve it?

Problem still exist in Cura 2.3

I can not load 3mf file what are fixed on http://tools3d.azurewebsites.net. (I uploaded stl and downloaded 3mf)

Now I can not print anything :(

Does anybody experienced same problem? How do you solve it?

I've just tested this with the nightly build. It works fine there, so it should be fixed for 2.4

Edited by Guest

Hi! I'm having an issue with Linux 16.04.1 LTS and Cura. I installed the PPA version that is available and it looks like it is going to start just fine. I get a splash screen and then it goes away and nothing happens. If I start it from command line it starts saying CuraEngineBackend.CuraEngineBackend.slic[152]: Starting slice job... and just keeps repeating that forever. Am I missing something? I'd love to be able to run Cura on my laptop.

Thanks!

Just download the appimage. The PPA is not officialy maintained by Ultimaker (it was created by someone that works for UM though).

Cura 2.4 starts to open then nothing. deleted all other cura off my machine. windows 10 64 bit

So tired 2.3.1 . Can't change nozzles unless you tell it + machine. doesn't like to lay stuff flat.

For fun tried to 2.4 to run and it did. weird.

Edited by Guest

FYI - for a clean install you have to delete the appdata stuff also. Unfortunately. But the good news is you can just go wild and delete it all and restart cura and it just creates it again but properly. On windows go to:

C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\cura

Where XXXX varies depending on your personal setup and login.

Ahem, back it up first otherwise you will lose any printer or settings profiles that you created with 2.4 beta and, I suspect but not sure, 2.3. Obviously if you are coming from 15.n or 2.1? not relevant

Any chance this info could be on the cura download page, or in the release notes:

" Warning CURA 2.x is like the highlander! There can be only one!" please do not try to run multiple copies of CURA 2.x on the same machine because they will behead each other and you will lose your settings"

• Like 1

Posted · Cura FAQ

Thanks @Peetersm, we are going to add this to the page / release notes. (I like the highlander reference.. that was a cool show :D But maybe we'll have to leave that out of the official mentioning ;))

Well actually not true, there can be more than 1 - as suggested by someone else recently - not my idea. I know because I tried and it worked. Create or use another existing account and install the 2nd version under the 2nd account, This provides a second separate appdata folder for Cura with all the settings.

No idea if you can actually have both Cura versions loaded at the same time.