Cura FAQ

SandervG

Posted · Cura FAQ

The suggestion from peetersm was presented to our software dev's to verify and they said it was true. I can very well imagine there are modifications or hacks to work around this, but I think it would be clever to talk about 'the intended way' which is what most users will experience. If the new Cura overrides the old one, this would be a justified note to include.

Well we probably have to agree to differ!

" If the new Cura overrides the old one, this would be a justified note to include"

I absolutely agree this should be there.

"There can be only one!" This is not true and IMHO should not be stated, otherwise users will understandably take it as being true. Using a 2nd account is not a hack, it is using Windows capability. It requires no code or other funny things that most users would not understand. It just needs a paragraph in the installation instructions - which do not exist!! - explaining how to install a new version without losing the current version; which I personally find comforting when dealing with Beta software and indeed any new release which by definition will always introduce bugs.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Problem still exist in Cura 2.3

I can not load 3mf file what are fixed on http://tools3d.azurewebsites.net. (I uploaded stl and downloaded 3mf)

Now I can not print anything :(

Does anybody experienced same problem? How do you solve it?

I've just tested this with the nightly build. It works fine there, so it should be fixed for 2.4

Yes, it is working fine now on Cura 2.4

Thank you!

• 4 months later...

How do I set custom nozzle size (0.15mm) in Cura 2.7?

In Machine Settings.

I humbly admit that after spending some time and looking everything under the "Machine Settings" and everywhere else, I could not find where the new nozzle size can be defined.

I have UM2 and do not know json. :-(

For the UM2, it is right there in the second column just above the end gcode:

um2.thumb.png.3e3aab7b69587ecd9abbd276feecad98.png

For the UM2+, there is no such option, because the Nozzle dropdown would override what you set in Machine Settings. Like I said, for the UM2+ you would have to use the Line Width setting (which is 99% equivalent to nozzle size anyway).

um2.thumb.png.3e3aab7b69587ecd9abbd276feecad98.png

• Like 1

OK, I feel better with myself now:

Cura1.thumb.png.d6d7f50a52e2b26fa8cf39cc15b1d1db.png

Cura2.thumb.png.c021485764729fe12c7c9118233ee2de.png

Cura1.thumb.png.d6d7f50a52e2b26fa8cf39cc15b1d1db.png

Cura2.thumb.png.c021485764729fe12c7c9118233ee2de.png

In that case I am more than 90% sure that you have added an Ultimaker 2+ to Cura, instead of an Ultimaker 2. Do you have a nozzle dropdown in the sidebar?

As I've mentioned before, there is no way to set the nozzle diameter for an Ultimaker 2+ in Cura, because this setting would be overridden by the nozzle dropdown (and all the profiles for the different qualities/materials that come with the Ultimaker 2+).

You have two options:

* Add a new printer to Cura, and use Ultimaker 2 instead of Ultimaker 2+

* Keep using the Ultimaker 2+ in Cura, and find the "Line Width" setting and use that instead of the nozzle size.

In that case I am more than 90% sure that you have added an Ultimaker 2+ to Cura, instead of an Ultimaker 2. Do you have a nozzle dropdown in the sidebar?

I stick to the remaining 10% :-) There are nozzles dropdown, but without the possibility to add custom sizes.

Will try to re-install that version of Cura again.

Thanks for the help!

I stick to the remaining 10% :-) There are nozzles dropdown, but without the possibility to add custom sizes.

I never said there would be a possibility to add a custom size if you have an Ultimaker 2+. I said that you have to search for the setting named "Line Width" in the Custom sidebar and use that instead of nozzle size.

Will try to re-install that version of Cura again.

That won't change anything.

Nozzle size is mostly meaningless in cura 2.*. Use line width instead.

How do you turn on the Pronterface UI to pre-heat the hot end, run the extruder and move the steppers through the software?

There is no Pronterface in Cura 3.0.4.

In Cura 3.1, jogging will be added for USB & OctoPrint connected printers. A beta should be out in a week or so. In Cura 3.2, I plan to contribute manual control over extruder temperatures and extrude/retract functionality.

I'm new to 3D printing, Cura, and I DO NOT have an Ultimaker printer, so I'm in at the bottom end of the learning curve to start with. To make this worse while I have successfully printed using v14.07 and 15.04, I wanted the "luxury" of profile management and because I'm using 32 bit Windows I'm limited to Cura 2.3.1. Some of you may see where this is headed, lol.

There appear to be differences in the Z axis starting points (a guess) because 2.3.1 prints (that print OK in 14.07 and 15.04) start printing with the nozzle too high from the bed. Now I'm reading that 3mf files in 2.3.1 may not load correctly but this has been fixed in 2.4 which only runs on 64 bit Windows. I'm reluctant to try 2.3.1 again since I have no idea what other bugs it has.

Bottom line: Since Cura 2.3.1 is the highest version that runs on Windows 32 bit machines my suggestion is to either fix the serious bugs in 2.3.1 or start an FAQ/Bug topic sticky for version 2.3.1