Re-design the print head to centre the Nozzle?

Posted · Re-design the print head to centre the Nozzle?

Hi Guys,

First of all, I'm new here to the forum, and searched for an answer to my question but couldn't find one. If the answer is somewhere out there, please excuse me for double posting.

I purchased a new Ultimaker 2+ last week and it's great! The bed levelling is easy and it's printing reliable with PLA since the start. I use it mainly for prototyping (I'm a freelance engineer by profession).

One thing I noticed in several prints (including the Ultimaker robot) is that the right side suffers from insufficient cooling compared to the left side. Obviously this is due to the bigger distance between the right fan and the nozzle.

Has someone considered re-designing the printhead so that the nozzle is deadcenter in relation to both fans? I'm considering to do this redesign and test it but before I give it a go I would like to hear from the Experts here what issues (hardware and software related) I could run into. The biggest challenge (hardware related) as far as I can see is that the shafts have to be placed off-center so the hot-end and filament feed can be place in the center.

Hope to hear something from you guys!

Kind Regards,

Bart

Hi Gudo,

Wow, that looks great, thanks for sharing! It's exactly what I was thinking. Please keep me (and the rest of us off course:)) updated when you have assembled the head! I'm really curious if we can gain some serious benefits out of this, in terms of cooling of course, but also the build volume could increase slightly am I right?

You're right ! only the head XY support increase a bit in square,

the goal is to re use the UM stock parts, sliding bearings, stock or Olsson heat block, isolator, PTFE etc...., and that will not needs any software modifications

20160608_151831.thumb.jpg.bfb04a272e837d1facc2971fd8125c2b.jpg

I currently test different designs before fixing the project

Of course I'll share after testing the all things

20160608_151831.thumb.jpg.bfb04a272e837d1facc2971fd8125c2b.jpg

• Like 1

The " build volume" would stays the same, just a bit offset on the right and front side if compare to before

wow, nice design! One question: Isn't it possible to reduce the size of the carriage? when you look at the current stock carriage from above the printer, the carriage is currently centered relative to the crosspoint of x-axis and y-axis with the filament path in one corner. Your design is centered to the filament so the axes are off-center. What if the axes go through one corner and the filament through the other corner? of course you would want to keep the fanshroud symmetrical to the nozzle. Or is it the bearings dictating the overall size of the carriage?

Thanks avogra

it is not really possible to reduce the carriage size, but not so much in square looking from above the printer because of the bearing didacting, just only 2 mm more, 37mm square vs 35mm stock size, but in this second design, the bowden travel through the carriage is a lot shorter

20160608_172257.thumb.jpg.b6c4cf3f7416909eae76c2af5092b705.jpg

20160608_172308.thumb.jpg.d0ff75a2ac50a42670dc2cb250295a79.jpg

20160608_172403.thumb.jpg.361c91885ac106d5ffeb0f38149c1114.jpg

20160608_173225.thumb.jpg.355f74e216d661138d49988aef515a9b.jpg

20160608_172257.thumb.jpg.b6c4cf3f7416909eae76c2af5092b705.jpg

20160608_172308.thumb.jpg.d0ff75a2ac50a42670dc2cb250295a79.jpg

20160608_172403.thumb.jpg.361c91885ac106d5ffeb0f38149c1114.jpg

20160608_173225.thumb.jpg.355f74e216d661138d49988aef515a9b.jpg

If you redesign the slideblocks you could use that without losing print area, relocating the shafts grip point on the side slideblocks.

If you redesign the slideblocks you could use that without losing print area, relocating the shafts grip point on the side slideblocks.

hi neotko

yes of course ! you're right, it's in my mind,

I own only one printer, I need to keep it operational for printing all these designs, it's a bit frustrating...

hi neotko

yes of course ! you're right, it's in my mind,

I own only one printer, I need to keep it operational for printing all these designs, it's a bit frustrating...

Oh I know how you fell. I had the same problem when I did my magnetic dual head changer. Now with 3 printers it's painless to mod stuff.

Oh I know how you fell. I had the same problem when I did my magnetic dual head changer. Now with 3 printers it's painless to mod stuff.

Yeah ! I am more& more passionate, I'll have to heat my credit card to another printer !

You could just ask a ultimaker distributor for a full hotend, so you can replace it fast with the oldone.

You could just ask a ultimaker distributor for a full hotend, so you can replace it fast with the oldone.

It's a good idea, but I desing now a full hot end too,

I haven't an another printer but I own a turning and a milling machine

I'll need more a solid printer base even used for customizing

• Like 1

Btw can I ask what's the goal?

Not trying to throw cold water to the proyect just wondering.

I solved the symmetrical cooling on my umo+ (I use um2 hotends now) by using a 40x40x20 fans and moving the fans forward https://www.youmagine.com/designs/umo-fancap-for-um2-hotend-with-40x40x20-24v-fans

Ofc that sollution can't work on um2 because the sides are closed, but you could just cnc the sidepanels so the fans don't hit it. Personally I find the fans of um2/um2+ very 'meh'.

Ofc your design makes the hotend lighter so it should be easier to keep fast speeds with better quality. Also you could reuse most of the stuff.

Btw can I ask what's the goal?

Not trying to throw cold water to the proyect just wondering.

I solved the symmetrical cooling on my umo+ (I use um2 hotends now) by using a 40x40x20 fans and moving the fans forward https://www.youmagine.com/designs/umo-fancap-for-um2-hotend-with-40x40x20-24v-fans

Ofc that sollution can't work on um2 because the sides are closed, but you could just cnc the sidepanels so the fans don't hit it. Personally I find the fans of um2/um2+ very 'meh'.

Ofc your design makes the hotend lighter so it should be easier to keep fast speeds with better quality. Also you could reuse most of the stuff.

no!  it's not water cooling project, I plan to use a hight advanced plastic, I'm still in waiting to receive this material for machining a prototype,  

the hot end will keep the traditional cooling fan, this material I hope , will allow to replace in one piece  the UM stock heat sink, the isolator and the PTFE, what will allow to get a maximum constant operating temp closed to 300° without degradation, that would be suited also to the PLA without sticking problems.

I'll can speak more about it after testing.

I followed with a great interest your  UMO job( BTW here), OK with you about UM2 fans :(

I plan to use  35x35 mm centrifugal fans for saving side places

something like this

5a331dfd9d1aa_35x3512VDCcentrigalfan.thumb.jpg.721f15c08a8045b54f6d7eaaa055938d.jpg  

5a331dfdb8951_35x3512VDCcentrigalfan_1.thumb.jpg.2258c8799ed598790331871fd9066906.jpg

5a331dfdd3097_35x3512VDCcentrigalfan_2.thumb.jpg.40684a869af606dc0d844638916f2255.jpg

5a331dfde9c21_35x3512VDCcentrigalfan_4.thumb.jpg.2951de4eaa9f969fc53308a465b27213.jpg

5a331dfd9d1aa_35x3512VDCcentrigalfan.thumb.jpg.721f15c08a8045b54f6d7eaaa055938d.jpg

5a331dfdb8951_35x3512VDCcentrigalfan_1.thumb.jpg.2258c8799ed598790331871fd9066906.jpg

5a331dfdd3097_35x3512VDCcentrigalfan_2.thumb.jpg.40684a869af606dc0d844638916f2255.jpg

5a331dfde9c21_35x3512VDCcentrigalfan_4.thumb.jpg.2951de4eaa9f969fc53308a465b27213.jpg

• Like 2

Men that looks sexy! Also, very interesting proyect!!

5a331dfe0c941_35x3512VDCcentrigalfan_5.thumb.jpg.952b5a646006d6a1ca27f91edec62611.jpg

5a331dfe0c941_35x3512VDCcentrigalfan_5.thumb.jpg.952b5a646006d6a1ca27f91edec62611.jpg

Men that looks sexy! Also, very interesting proyect!!

thanks ! we will have a lot discussion all together, I need to learn more about 3D printing technologies :)

OK with you about UM2 fans :( I plan to use  35x35 mm centrifugal fans for saving side places

something like this

Interesting! did you ever try these before, do you already know which type you'll use? I played around with something similar for a E3Dv6 mount, but the UM2 fan's are indeed totally useless in a setup like this..

Hi ultiarjan

I have these centrifugal fan under hand, but not yet try these, I got fans from here :

http://www.mouser.fr/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=%2fW4LtXOBxKsfL3eA88psUg%3d%3d

I need to assemble my custom print head before having a testing opportunity.

Very interesting looking design, love it. I've been meaning to experiment with that type of fan as well but I was cheap and only looked on Ebay hehe. The ones I found (ordered a couple of different models) have really crappy mounting options and the sizes are a bit wonky, not a nice clean square. But even the cheapy ones I bought feels like they give a nicely directed air flow which should make it easier to direct the air just where you need it.

Will keep an eye on this for sure.

• Like 1

Cool stuff in here :) i love it when a small idea can turn out in some people gathering and sharing theirs...

One question about the latest design here @gudo, do i understand well that you plan to use the side fans to cool down the PTFE and hotend also?

I don't understand why this position is better than the position off the fans on the UM2+?

Very interesting looking design, love it. I've been meaning to experiment with that type of fan as well but I was cheap and only looked on Ebay hehe. The ones I found (ordered a couple of different models) have really crappy mounting options and the sizes are a bit wonky, not a nice clean square. But even the cheapy ones I bought feels like they give a nicely directed air flow which should make it easier to direct the air just where you need it.

Will keep an eye on this for sure.

Hi IRoberti

First I take the opportunity to say to you that I'm one fan of your alternative feeder system

The cenrifugal fans I have under hand are very clean, precise and good quality plastic body

Delta electronics seems serious ( made in Thailand), there are even balance weights on the centrifugal impeller

I think so that the centrifugal fan will give easier possiblities air flow managing in a small space

Can't wait for testing !

Cool stuff in here :)i love it when a small idea can turn out in some people gathering and sharing theirs...

One question about the latest design here @gudo, do i understand well that you plan to use the side fans to cool down the PTFE and hotend also?

I don't understand why this position is better than the position off the fans on the UM2+?

Hi Didier

Sorry for the confusion

the latest design don't show the PTFE side, which is alway cooled by the 25x25 hot end fan

the side centrifugal fans blow only on the printed surface around the nozzle tip

the all duct fan body is clipped and can turn back to get a fast and easy access to the nozzle

Ok i see, it makes sense... but why this orientation for the fans? Wouldn't it be more effective if they were pointing downwards? (I'm a total noob in airflow and stuff)