Cura 2.1.2 - Why is it so slow ??? Any Fix ?

spiky1987

Posted · Cura 2.1.2 - Why is it so slow ??? Any Fix ?

Hi,

I was using S3D at my friend's business and at home I wanted to use Cura so I tried the 2.1.2 It's working very well, but why is it soooooo slow ?

I have cura 15.04.6 and it even slice and show the layers way faster. Is it a compatibility problem with QT's driver or something like that ??

If it's a configuration fix it would be nice to share the workaround !!

Thanks

The slicing is slower for 2.1, mostly because it can do a whole lot more. Being able to detect more special cases simply makes slicing slower.

As for the layer view; we're working on a fix for that. We should be able to make that significantly faster.

The rendering (layers are actually processes) should be quite a bit faster in 2.1.2 though. Another thing to take into account is that 15.04 already shows "inbetween" results, which also gives you the feeling that it's much faster.

• 4 weeks later...

Is it just the slicing and layers view you are seeing slowness or other areas as well?

Cura makes heavy use of the graphics drivers, so ensuring they are up-to-date can help with responsiveness.

Since you mentioned QT, I'm assuming your running on an Apple machine?

2.1.2 is absolute garbage.

No G.Code viewing, no gram calculator + oodles of bugs. Ultimaker should be embarrassed at their shabby job.

There is a gram calculator. See https://github.com/nallath/PrintCostCalculator

Also instead of bashing people about how sucky / shabby something works, you could also attempt to, I dunno, report issues so they can be fixed...

• Like 3

2.1.2 is absolute garbage.

No G.Code viewing, no gram calculator + oodles of bugs. Ultimaker should be embarrassed at their shabby job.

There is a gram calculator. See https://github.com/nallath/PrintCostCalculator

Also instead of bashing people about how sucky / shabby something works, you could also attempt to, I dunno, report issues so they can be fixed...

Thanks, I wish I was a Software Engineer capable of fixing it but I'm just an insignificant user. Take my comment as you may.

You don't really need to be a software engineer to report a bug, just a user.

It is true that cura 2.1 is much slower than previous version.

I found that if i upload a model and i am in the slice view, it take a long time to slice. If I go to normal view and then go back to slice view while cura is slowly slicing the model, it become faster. I don't know if it a cura bug or if it's because of my computer, but i am just a user :'(

I don't think there is any configuration fix for your problem. You have to wait for optimisation and fix I guess. I don't find the 2.1 is that slow, ok i have to wait sometimes minutes for slicing, or i have to reboot it because it's stuck in "prepare slicing" but you can't realy expect it to slice model in second, plus i guess the algo is much more complicated for detecting special case.

Anyway, i like the user interface which is better for me so i will continu use it.

Like nallath said:

The slicing is slower for 2.1, mostly because it can do a whole lot more. Being able to detect more special cases simply makes slicing slower.

I've tested Cura 15.x, Cura 2.x and Craftware and found the slicer in Cura 2.x to be much better than the other two: It avoids holes better, generates a smarter tool path (less jumping around), less hairs, better object avoidance, and better finishes.

I ask questions, report bugs, or highlight things I think are issues and I get fast, intelligent responses from the developers and the community. It's refreshing. So I try to do the same. That's how the software gets better...

Thanks, I wish I was a Software Engineer capable of fixing it but I'm just an insignificant user. Take my comment as you may.

In quite a few cases it's better to not have software engineers (or even tech savy users) test & report issues. In the Beta I sent Cura to quite a number of advanced users. None of them actually notices that the simple mode was broken ;)

@nallath, haha yes that is pretty easy to miss since most of the advanced users just skips by the simple mode and never touch it :-)

@nallath, haha yes that is pretty easy to miss since most of the advanced users just skips by the simple mode and never touch it :-)

My point exactly :) We "experts" tend to do and see things differently.

Hm, I installed and opened the new Cura, loaded a model, selected layer view. I was surprised by the progress, I had time to open up 15.04.4, load it, check layers, download 15.04.6, install it, load it, check layers, go to forum, read forum posts in this topic and the FAQ topic, write this message, and it's only at 9% processing layers. It's eating like 40% CPU too.

I can't think of anything that this version could do better in order to make up for this difference. It's one of the most used features to check the layers. 12% now. The slicing itself was slower, but that is acceptable if it indeed works better. I really hope you can fix the layer display time :(

From what I heard they recently found the source of the slow layer view, so I expect it to be fixed in the next release. Any idea @nallath when there will be a release? can you confirm it's fixed?

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.1.2 - Why is it so slow ??? Any Fix ?

We already knew what the problem was, we just didn't have the time to fix it. Fortunately for (all of) us, our swedish re-seller has hired a guy that also happens to be a software engineer. He made a number of pull requests that improve the speed of the layerview quite a bit.

Don't know the exact date of the releases tough. Right now we're pretty much feature complete for the stuff that we want, so it's time to do the polishing / translation / bug swatting / stability increases. I estimate that will take about 3-4 weeks, so after that the usual procedures (closed + open beta) will commence.

tl;dr It's fixed, will be next release. Don't know exact date, but beta's will be out soon-ish (~4 weeks? Don't pin me on this)

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1