1:4 scale Dillon Aero M134D minigun

michaelvk

Posted (edited) · 1:4 scale Dillon Aero M134D minigun

A few months ago I upgraded my Ultimaker 2 with the Olsson block, allowing me to produce finer detail with the .25mm nozzle. As a test project I decided to do a 1/4 scale minigun. I found one on 3D Warehouse (model therefor courtesy of a chap that goes by the name of Spoonkiller, link here: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/user.html?id=0015491875973132162600283 ).. The model however needs a fair amount of work to make it printable.. The material I'm using is Faberdashery's robot silver PLA.

Anyway, the work so far:

The main housing:

IMG_8968_zpsbeqjkg7p.jpg

IMG_9025_zpsepah4n0t.jpg

IMG_9027_zpsatkvq1sh.jpg

The clutch and delinker sprocket:

91BBBC19-4542-44F0-BC75-A52DD1FC529B_zpsstuimelw.jpg

D5C980FE-3074-418E-92A2-78C2CE177F59_zpsrkfs7d9w.jpg

30A17319-CA54-428C-98F0-3124F625DCB4_zpspf7skiz8.jpg

16EF2D7C-0F14-493D-AD98-D464914D6837_zpsc5k4r7nb.jpg

The rotor, with lightening holes as found on the titanium version.. This is the part that really started to pose some printing challenges.. That is until I started on the bolts and their guides:

47F4A545-8406-4146-AD8A-CF10A82A9156_zpspfdimk21.jpg

63D470DC-F756-42D2-9D50-37D1019A2550_zpslfefuby1.jpg

Bolt guide clamp.. I had to print these, as well as the bolts and feed chute links, on a web with five others:

6AC6E519-4405-4EBD-9BA0-4466FED43367_zpsxjvr5waz.jpg

Printing the tiny parts separately would've resulted in less than optimal prints, parts falling over, too much heat concentrated on a small area.. So I added 0.3mm webs between the parts to keep the head moving and allow for the parts to keep cool and stable during printing..

BoltClampHex_zpsg3atehsl.jpg

I used the same principle for the bolts..

34E13C60-7F50-4F67-8BF3-DC41B5EE822E_zpszetft5fn.jpg

When rotated, the bolts follow the bolt track in the housing.. They're also installed like the real thing.

Firing position..

9D0B025F-023E-4621-8D0A-C4F0E4AD03BA_zpsbh3ybpsv.jpg

Retracted position..

B724E511-5375-4BE7-BAD5-120A9909DDC7_zpsgxquxkzi.jpg

Stay tuned for more!

Edited by Guest
  • Like 5

Love it the detail is amazing .4 Nozzle ??

Thank you!

0.25 nozzle using Faberdashery Robot silver at around 186 degrees.

Edited by Guest

Posted · 1:4 scale Dillon Aero M134D minigun

I also want to experiment with a 0.25 nozzle,

can you tell anything about layer adhesion en printing times ?

The detail looks really sharp :)

I think I've seen this on twitter or something a while ago. Doesn't it also move like an actual rattle gun? This is such an impressive print!

Is it part of a bigger model?

Wow, that is really amazing detail. Do the parts move correctly too?

I think I've seen this on twitter or something a while ago. Doesn't it also move like an actual rattle gun? This is such an impressive print!

Is it part of a bigger model?

Thank you!

I put it on instagram and twitter ages ago, but was persuaded to share it with the community here..

The thing is meant to be a stand alone model which will eventually be perched on it's pintle mount as found on a Chinook or Blackhawk door mount.

Here's a video of the bolt and delinker turning together..

I also want to experiment with a 0.25 nozzle,

can you tell anything about layer adhesion en printing times ?

The detail looks really sharp :)

I print everything at low speed and low temperature. Say inner wall at around 40 and outer at 18. Temperature is usually around 186 degrees and the bed set to 60. Layer adhesion seems fine, but these are small parts and fragile anyway. The only place where layer adhesion was a problem is with the barrels, where I set the infill too low.

Man, that's AWSOME!!!!

How have you managed to get the parts modeled? I´m looking since month/years for  minigun or gatling plans to make a 3D model, but without success...

Edited by Guest

Man, that's AWSOME!!!!

How have you managed to get the parts modeled? I´m looking since month/years for  minigun or gatling plans to make a 3D model, but without success...

Sorry about the late reply, it's been a while since I've been here..

I may have mentioned it before, but the model was found on 3D Warehouse, made by user thespoonkiller. The model isn't 3D printable and able to function out of the box, as the parts need tweaking for tolerances, but otherwise it's all there:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/user.html?id=0015491875973132162600283&nav=models