Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
FLG

Cura 15.04.6 or Cura 2.1.2 That is the question

I have been away from the printer for some time and just getting back into having some fun. Yesterday I converted my UM2 to the + version which went well. Firmware updated from Cura 15.04.6 after installation.

I now notice there are 2 versions of Cura running alongside each other and don't seem to be able to find anything discussing the pros and cons for each version.

I am running windows 7 64bit. so I am guessing the 2.1.2 version is possibly where I should go but unsure.

I have seen the amendments to the material.txt file needed for the different nozzles but other than that I am scratching my head.

What do you folks think of the new version ?

Nigel

As the only dev to do work on both versions I can name quite a few differences. The most notable one are pretty much invisible to users (The old architecture was a pretty big mess)

For normal use it pretty much comes down to;

2.1 -> More features, slightly slower slicing (but better handling of edge cases), slower layer view, a ton of extra settings, easier to expand. Will continue to get updates / development. Faster rendering.

15.04 -> Less features, somewhat faster slicing, faster layer view, can load g-code files. Won't get updates anymore in the near future.

• Like 1

Hi nallath,

Can old and new (>2.1) Cura versions be installed parallel on the same system, without messing each other's settings up? Do they use separate directories and files?

If so, people could simply install both, and use the version that works best for a particular task. Or they could just keep the old one as a fall-back.

Geert

Does 15.04.6 and 2.1.2 use the same version of Marlin, or do we need to keep swapping?

They use the same version. No worries :) We will stop to update the old Cura at some point in time (This also means that at some point you will need to use cura 2.x if you want new firmware)

Edited by Guest

I use 2.1.2 for the new supports capability and I like the concentric top/bottom fill patterns. I only do PLA and ABS with it though.

For everything else (other materials, no supports needed, etc.) I use 15.04.6. It's more complete, faster, and just works. But supports are terrible.

Once 2.x grows more, I can see transitioning to it fully, but certainly not yet. It's just a baby, give it time to grow strong before you put it in the work force. :)

Just my $0.02.

14.09 is the best version I've used (and still do).

Later versions (definitely 15.02 and later) all cause prints to take much longer than necessary.

I think it's related to the way retraction is performed but I've not quite worked out exactly what changed.

It's a shame really because I would like to use the new features in 2.x but I can't accept an increase in print time of 25 to 100 %.

Later versions (definitely 15.02 and later) all cause prints to take much longer than necessary.

I think it's related to the way retraction is performed but I've not quite worked out exactly what changed.

It's a shame really because I would like to use the new features in 2.x but I can't accept an increase in print time of 25 to 100 %.

Does it actually increase or is it just the estimation that is different? I very much doubt that the actual print time increases by 100% by something that happened between 14.09 and 15.02. Especially because after two years you're the first person to report the issue.

Edited by Guest

Does it actually increase or is it just the estimation that is different? I very much doubt that the actual print time increases by 100% by something that happened between 14.09 and 15.02. Especially because after two years you're the first person to report the issue.

Sorry for the delay in replying I have been on holiday

I have reported this before.

I have read posts of at least one other person who has noticed the same thing.

The time increase is REAL not estimated.

It depends on the item being printed but yes the print time increases by 100 % for some objects and a significant amount for all objects.

Edited by Guest

Well @prb4 if you want someone to fix this, please post an STL and the 2 gcode files created so someone can analyze what is different and maybe make an improvement to the latest cura. Really the entire gcode files need be posted as that will include any scaling you did, multiple objects, and will include all settings. You can't post them here so post them in dropbox or some other web site that you have control over (preferably not something that will only host the files for a month).