Help Test a Potential Cura Feature!

lars86

Posted · Help Test a Potential Cura Feature!

Just noticed a zscar for the first time in like forever. Don't mind the top, I never printed that high, turns out the build plate couldn't reach that level xD

[media=17898][/media]

So maybe I was just lucky before

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay, I've fixed the problem with extrusion I think. I couldn't use the 1.75mm fixed file (it said it was out of printing area), however, I managed to change the flow rate for the print, thanks to tinkergome's firmware. It's currently printing. However, the Z level is wrong, it's pushing too much on the buildplate instead of being over it, so the nozzle is inside the material being printed. Do you know how I could fix that ? Maybe by changing the Z level on the printer's settings ?

Try this file I modified and see if it works:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lel2i7a9hirxgib/UM2_Control.gcode?dl=0

Hi ! This prints great without a problem, nice work ! It doesn't override the machine's settings anymore. I see the flow is automatically set to 638%. I have a flow rate between 2 and 3 mm^3/s. It doesn't scratch the build platform anymore. Thanks !

By the way, what would be the best color to print your models, to have the best vision possible of the seams ?

Try this file I modified and see if it works:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lel2i7a9hirxgib/UM2_Control.gcode?dl=0

Hi ! This prints great without a problem, nice work ! It doesn't override the machine's settings anymore. I see the flow is automatically set to 638%. I have a flow rate between 2 and 3 mm^3/s. It doesn't scratch the build platform anymore. Thanks !

By the way, what would be the best color to print your models, to have the best vision possible of the seams ?

Awesome to hear, and thanks for testing it! (sorry the other one dragged the nozzle!)

I will modify the rest for UM2 and post them.

For color, I would say dark. Black is best in my eyes for showing imperfections (just like in car paint jobs).

Sorry for the delay. Here are the latest results:

DSCN2532.thumb.JPG.6c3c1665aac4c6cf8dc38bee19afd641.JPG

To me, it appears the .8 overlap is not any different than the .6. So I think that's about as good as it gets - at least on my printer.

The 1.75mm filament converted gcode files can be found here: http://bitman.org/CoastTest_1.75mm.zip

Cheers!

Did you try my settings for accel and travel velocity?

Did you try my settings for accel and travel velocity?

Not yet, but I shall!

I've finally printed all the test models. It was a bit weird because there was too much retraction at the end of each gcodes, so the filament just went out and I had to insert it again at each print. Whatever. Here are the results, I used a macro lens and I tried to make an high resolution picture. Tell me if you need more pictures. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do more tests for a month, I'm going on vacation.

Seams.thumb.jpg.6f1e9a14109390edddfff8b0d38cb640.jpg

Seams.thumb.jpg.6f1e9a14109390edddfff8b0d38cb640.jpg

I reprinted all tests last night to include the .6mm and .8mm overlap tests in my results.

For me, I would say a 0.6mm overlap gives the best result.

448fc582-4e58-11e6-82bd-4bd8dd7e6555.png

I've finally printed all the test models. It was a bit weird because there was too much retraction at the end of each gcodes, so the filament just went out and I had to insert it again at each print. Whatever. Here are the results, I used a macro lens and I tried to make an high resolution picture. Tell me if you need more pictures. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do more tests for a month, I'm going on vacation.

Awesome, thanks for the results!

I'll check into the end of print retract and try to fix those files.

It looks like your results are very similar to mine. I know it can be very hard to photograph the seam in a way that fits with how they look in real life. It's easy to over or under-exaggerate certain features.

In your opinion, which print gave you the best overall seam?

Awesome, thanks for the results!

I'll check into the end of print retract and try to fix those files.

It looks like your results are very similar to mine. I know it can be very hard to photograph the seam in a way that fits with how they look in real life. It's easy to over or under-exaggerate certain features.

In your opinion, which print gave you the best overall seam?

For me, over 0.4mm overlap, the seam is barely noticeable. 0.6mm overlap seems to be the best to reduce it. However, with 0.6mm overlap and higher we can see a bump in the inside of the object. That's not a problem for a solid object, but for an hollow cylinder, that can be annoying.

Finally, (on my prints), the seam seems to be picking inward on the control print and on the one with 0.2mm overlap. However, with the prints with 0.4mm, 0.6mm and 0.8mm overlam the seam is bumping outward.

For me, over 0.4mm overlap, the seam is barely noticeable. 0.6mm overlap seems to be the best to reduce it.  However, with 0.6mm overlap and higher we can see a bump in the inside of the object. That's not a problem for a solid object, but for an hollow cylinder, that can be annoying.

Finally, (on my prints), the seam seems to be picking inward on the control print and on the one with 0.2mm overlap. However, with the prints with 0.4mm, 0.6mm and 0.8mm overlam the seam is bumping outward.

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry much about the inside of the part, as it isn't actually representative of a hollow part. This was a solid model, and I sliced with 0% infill, so the exposed inside face would always be hidden by infill. If the model was actually hollow, Cura would treat the inside perimeter much like the outer surface.

UM2 files have been updated for proper footer code.

@lars86, I decided to do some testing too.

Printed on a UMO with heated bed+dual fan setup and Ruby .4 Nozzle. UM Blue.

Normally I use Cura 15.04.4. and can't really say I have Z scars, other than these where you see the place the z step goes down in the same spot:

[media=18156][/media][media=18157][/media]

But I noticed them on this print for like the first time in an ugly sense(don't mind the top part, bed got stuck and smudged the top)

[media=18154][/media][media=18155][/media]

Your gcodes are coming up!

Posted (edited) · Help Test a Potential Cura Feature!

Had a lot of trouble with bed adhesion, the skirt was great, but the print was not sticking. So I upped the bed temperature to 60 degrees.

Left(control) to right. I'd say normal is the best though

[media=18158][/media]

[media=18159][/media]

Edited by Guest

@lars86, I decided to do some testing too.

Printed on a UMO with heated bed+dual fan setup and Ruby .4 Nozzle. UM Blue.

Normally I use Cura 15.04.4. and can't really say I have Z scars, other than these where you see the place the z step goes down in the same spot:

Your gcodes are coming up!

The point you are describing, is the seam. I can see it very clearly in your lizard print. That is what I am trying to improve.

Had a lot of trouble with bed adhesion, the skirt was great, but the print was not sticking. So I upped the bed temperature to 60 degrees.

Left(control) to right. I'd say normal is the best though

Thanks for testing Titus.

What material are you printing with?

Are you printing directly on glass?

For my tests, I am using PLA, and printing on a thin layer of glue, with only a little warmth on the bed. Everything stuck nicely. I really avoid going to full bed heating on PLA prints, as it makes it impossible to get the same level of print cooling, and you lose a lot of crispness and overhang ability in the print.

It looks like, from your photos, that there were still adhesion issues. This makes it hard to compare results objectively. Especially, the 4th print.

The .4mm overlap looks very similar in the photos, but the blue color makes it hard to see. Your eyes will probably be able to see better than the camera.

I'll have a look with a less glossy material(this is Ultimaker blue PLA).

The skirt is totally fine, nicely squished into the glass bed on 33 degrees. However when it starts printing the inner circle it just starts under extruding like hell. Causing it to not adhere to the bed. I'm not sure what happened. I will clean the bed and reapply the glue and print with another PLA

The point you are describing, is the seam. I can see it very clearly in your lizard print. That is what I am trying to improve.

I figured, but as you can see it's not really annoying in those kind of prints.