Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Kevparang

Thinking about buying an Ultimaker

Get a umo+ and the um2+ upgrade kit. That would be 1500. Then you can get a I2K. The I2K it's a spacer that once installed between the tft/ptfe coupler will allow you to print 280-290C (afaik).

To install the um2+ kit upgrade:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/21167-assembly-manual-um2-upgrade-kit-on-ultimaker-original-plus

If you like the idea make and have more questions you know, just ask :)

Edit: Anyway remember that you will get a cheaper machine, but you will need to invest personal time to adjust everything to make it work almost as good as a um2. So you save some cash, but you will need to work for a week or so (assuming you have experience modding printers) so everything it's close to what a full assembled machine with a better frame can offer.

Edited by Guest

The Ultimaker Original+ (with a heated bed) costs $995 so that should fit in your budget, plus it has an amazing track record and community around it :)

I would advise to consider buying a kit, just like @Neotko says you will have to invest time to get to know a machine. With an Ultimaker it is not that long, the cheaper you go usually the longer this takes. Or your personal investment will be continuously.

With a kit you learn exactly how such a machine is build, where everything is suppose to go and how it is suppose to work.

In a pleasant and documented way, instead through trial and error.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask! :)

• Like 2

Going from $1000 to $2499 (current ultimaker 2+ price in USA) is quite a step change. But... when you to make that change and enjoy the printing qualities of something that seems worth it, that expense is quickly forgotten. On the other hand if you spend 1000 bucks on something that constantly gives you grief, that is a 1000 bucks lost every time you print (or rather; try to print).

So is the Ultimaker 1500 bucks much better - hard to say. I worked with a MakerBot 2 for a while, cost 2900 at the time (2-3 years ago). Not a bad machine but the Ultimaker is better IMHO.

• Like 1