Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
enemenemeck

Distance bottom plate to controller board

Hi,

day two after finishing my ultimaker. wow!

I realy like the quality of my first test prints.

The black spacers between bottom and controller are to short, right?

The controller touches the wood with its backpack board. Its higher then the black spacers long.

Am i right or do i misplaced something?

Please have a look at:

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A3G4TcsmdjgFe

Test print pictures:

- Robot was my first print, factor 0.5 sized

- Belt tension plates printed and mounted

- snowflake has some strings

- 20mm @0.5mm wall square looks quite perfect to me

settings cura default, retraction ON at 220 degrees

One bearing hole was lasered to big, it moves in all directions.

(I did not sand anything during the building process.)

Nearly all x&y shafts could be shifted some 0,x mm if i push them manualy. Is that fine or should they be tightly fixed?

Hints and comments are welcome.

Thx, Andreas

I had all white spacers for the controller. The length was correct. Are you sure you don't have some white ones somewhere? Or maybe the black and white ones you have should be swapped. Stuff like this seems to get revised quite often in the kit.

>One bearing hole was lasered to big, it moves in all directions

Obviously, bearings should not move radially. A pressure fit of the linear bearings in the hot end should locate and hold them radially.

>Nearly all x&y shafts could be shifted some 0,x mm if i push them manualy. Is that fine or should they be tightly fixed?

If they move axially, like this, they might start to move under operation, which results in pulley alignment deviations (and perhaps ticking sounds, which is often the result of pulley misalignment). I printed thin, round plastic spacers and installed them under the caps--with the shiny, low friction side toward the axes. You can sand the other side (might be difficult w/ PLA but my spacers are ABS) to get a custom spacer. Or just experiment with printing a variety of thicknesses.

Thanks for your reply.

You are absolutely right, at this point i did not read the wiki pages carfully enough and got fooled by the pictures shown black spacers there.

After using the mentioned white ones it fits fine.

So far i realized no problems caused by the one loose bearing or the axially space. All walls printed pretty straight and after playing around with different start/main temperatures most of the other small problems are solved.