Custom firmware - Demo

Render

Posted · Custom firmware - Demo

Thanks mates!

The truth is that I'm pretty happy with the overall look and feel, and specially with the print screen. After going back and forth with several designs I ended up with this split screen concept. The transition between advanced users and amateurs not depend on an initial question that the user has to decide what level of skill has. It's just there if you want to know or tune anything and it's not if you want to KIS anytime. On the other hand, even less advanced users need to know how to use a slicer, how to deal with material properties...

Peter, I haven't published the project yet. I'm still working on the basics and it's not fully functional for the time being, but the hardest part has already been done. Now I have to focus on cleaning and refactoring a bit, also there's a couple menus still to be done.

I plan to release some alpha versions before going to beta and RC, so if you're interested... ;)

And of course, I will open the source then

• Like 1

By main screen I guess you mean the top of every single menu, the current "temperature bar" in my code. The thing is, It needs to be compatible with dual extruder and also with this "split view mode" thing, and Z height takes 6 digits max (w/o icon neither measure unit "mm"), there's no room for anything else without swaping/scrolling it.

On the other hand, I can't think a situation where I find necessary to see the z height all the time, I only need to know the exact height if there's a print in process/paused or the printer is controlled by USB, otherwise I will only need to know if it's up or down, that unlike temperatures, is something I just need to look at the printer to know.

Even If I want to move the buildplate without printing, I think I would create another option inside the buildplate menu to move it "manually" and to see Z height.

I mean, you can't do anything but raise/down the platform from the main menu, why do you find useful to know the exact position outside the print screen?

• Like 1

No I am not meaning on the top of every screen like the temp. Meaning more along side the print progress. But at the time I did not see you had this in the side menu, now I watched again I have seen it.

I really love your firmware, it has a really great look and menu is really simple

Thanks Labern ;)

I supose you ditn't see it for the first time because I only select that item in the demo but I don't change the value as I do with the rest. The reason is I haven't yet implemented baby stepping (and I don't plan to do it for now).

Wow, this is just gorgeous!

One feature in TinkerMarlin that I really like, is that it does not just show the flow percentage, but also the actual output in mm3/s. Might be worth adding that.

Thanks, dudes!

Yes, I like that too. Tinker firm is full of little things that I really like. But I'm not sure if that kind of expert info should stay in the land of geek-mode firmwares. I need to set a limit somewhere and I find it logical to say "to show only parameters that can be directly modified" (with the exception of Z height, that I find it really useful to know even If no baby stepping is done).

What Tinker is actually doing is to calculate the volume of material looking at the length and speed of the extrusion. This is not really a translation of the flow factor but a final consequence of many things.

On the other hand, thanks to the scroll, it's easy to include additional data anytime because I don't need to find a place where to draw it, so It's always possible to implement new items without redesigning the whole interface. The door is open to new features, but they are not on top of the TODO list.

BTW, I understand that comparisons are almost unavoidable, but I want to say that I'm not trying to create some kind of aesthetic/graphic version of Tinker firmware. Tinkergnome is much more experienced in Marlin workflow than me and he focus on advanced features that I would need to study and learn from his code.

My background is closer to PC and mobile games, I like to build graphic frameworks so all my effort is going to modify Daid's code to extend the graphics lib and to optimize the UI

• Like 1

Hey Render, any updates on this ? It looks really darn cool, and I wish to try it on my um2+ as well :)

Render, Where can we download this firmware?

It looks amazing!

Great job!! <3

Hey @Render did you ever finish this awesome firmware

@Render did you ever finish the firmware?

Love the looks of it