Cura Connect | Survey Read more... ×
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
chumlee

How can I print directly from cura to my 3d printer using usb?

Yeah 2.1 supports it. I don't recommend doing it though (in either version). You introduce a ton of points of failure.

If you want some form of remote control, get octoprint (it's not like the 30$ for a pi is that much money and it will earn itself back by having a higher success rate)

Why are you telling this every time ?

I have been printing nothing else then with USB, and never have trouble, I even print huge files, never ...have..any ..trouble !

When you removed the option in Cura, you always said there was no interest in USB printing.

I know you removed the option from all UM2 and later printers, and that's the only reason why it won't work !

Yeah 2.1 supports it. I don't recommend doing it though (in either version). You introduce a ton of points of failure.

If you want some form of remote control, get octoprint (it's not like the 30$ for a pi is that much money and it will earn itself back by having a higher success rate)

Why are you telling this every time ?

I have been printing nothing else then with USB, and never have trouble, I even print huge files, never ...have..any ..trouble !

When you removed the option in Cura, you always said there was no interest in USB printing.

I know you removed the option from all UM2 and later printers, and that's the only reason  why it won't work !

Because just because you (as an expert user) can get it to work, doesn't mean it works flawlessly for everyone.

As I already wrote in my post, the USB printing is not removed at all. It has been there from the beginning. We don't support it, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't work or is removed. It means we think we've got better things to fix / implement.

From one version to the next, you changed the printer interface to an unusable Pronterface interface, the we were told could be adjusted as long as you would know how to code.

I NEVER got it to work properly or have the same kind of settings like the older version.

and I now still use the older version just to print the G-code files.

you decided it was too much effort to make it fully workable again in the newer versions because you were too "busy" building Cura from the ground up,

you gave us a totally unusable "new" Cura that took years to get back to any sort of equal function from the old style Cura.

I now still you say you are to "busy" to even bother to make a usable USB printing interface, because not many users would use it (why would that be ?)

and if any body has complaints about the usability of Cura you just say, how dare you to complain about free software !

While I still find (old) Cura the best and easy to use slicing software, I hate the arrogant attitude of the developers.

From one version to the next, you changed the printer interface to an unusable Pronterface interface, the we were told could be adjusted as long as you would know how to code.

I NEVER got it to work properly or have the same kind of settings like the older version.

Pronterface? I think Daid changed that 3-4 years ago. I was still an intern back then, so it's rather unfair to blame me for that don't you think?

you decided it was too much effort to make it fully workable again in the newer versions because you were too "busy" building Cura from the ground up,

you gave us a totally unusable "new" Cura that took years to get back to any sort of equal function from the old style Cura.

I'm guessing that you are referring to 15.06? If you read my posts from that time you can see that I was strongly opposed to releasing that.

I now still you say you are to "busy" to even bother to make a usable USB printing interface, because not many users would use it (why would that be ?)

We already saw a very strong decline in USB printing when it was supported, so yeah it kinda makes sense to not support it.

and if any body has complaints about the usability of Cura you just say, how dare you to complain about free software !

All I have to say about this is wait for 2.2. We have made 20+ changes based on user feedback. It's true that I don't always agree with people, but I find this a bit of an overstatement.

Pronterface? I think Daid changed that 3-4 years ago. I was still an intern back then, so it's rather unfair to blame me for that don't you think?

I'm guessing that you are referring to 15.06? If you read my posts from that time you can see that I was strongly opposed to releasing that.

We already saw a very strong decline in USB printing when it was supported, so yeah it kinda makes sense to not support it.

All I have to say about this is wait for 2.2. We have made 20+ changes based on user feedback. It's true that I don't always agree with people, but I find this a bit of an overstatement.

It is not a response to you as a person, but as Team Ultimaker and Ultimaker in general,

who else am I supposed to complain to :)

First, I just arrived at this discussion. Also, I know a bit about software.

The USB connection to the printer has value in allowing Cura to introspect the attached 3D printer. Cura could in principle do exact auto-configure to match the attached printer, without user intervention. Also that same introspection could - in principle - tell us the exact state of the printer, and the progress of any print job (however started).

If the printer has mass storage (a memory card in the usual case), that storage could be introspected. The data for a print job could be transferred to the printer storage (again, in principle). Prints would then occur through a single code path (off the memory card). Once a print job was started, the computer could go to sleep, or be detached, and the job would complete normally.

At least this is what I expect, as a software guy. Whether the printer firmware and Cura support this, I do not (yet) know.

Hi I just bought a CR-10S and the SD Card does not work - files are corrupted - so i cannot install drivers for my windows 10 - can anyone help me with the following:

1. i installed Cura 15.x but it does not see the printer - what am i doing wrong? 

2. also it would appear that the CD Card reader on the control box can only see GCODE, isnt the CR-10S supposed to support STL files also?

many thanks in advance - Martureo

Plug usb cable into windows machine.  It should make the same "ba bump" musical sound that it makes if you plut in a mouse into the windows machine.  If not I think you have hardware problems (with the printer).

If it makes the sound then go to device manager, un plug and replug and watch what appears - in the first second it should show up in the usb section then if you have the right arduino windows driver installed it will dissappear from here and appear in the list of COMM ports aka serial ports.  If it does then everything is working - not which com port e.g. COM3 or COM7 or even COM20 or whatever.  Now try to connect from cura - if it won't work it is probably a non-standard baud rate so don't use cura - use pronterface - which is better than cura and is also free here:

http://koti.kapsi.fi/~kliment/printrun/

As I eventually discovered, if you are using MacOS, connecting a printer via USB is a bit not obvious. Some(?) printers use a USB chip that MacOS does not support. Unlike Windows, MacOS does not(!) tell you when there is an unrecognized USB device. You have to dig up the correct drivers to install (bit tricky) ... then (for me) Cura worked, pretty much automatically.

Then I (finally) got around to setting up OctoPi (OctoPrint on a Raspberry Pi). Much, much better than using USB. Very highly recommended.

You do not want to be printing via directly connected USB.