chumlee

How can I print directly from cura to my 3d printer using usb?

Posted · How can I print directly from cura to my 3d printer using usb?

Thanks for this, that's how I thought The USB system worked.  Why can't one use the USB to download Gcode to the SD card.  That would seem to be the best of all Worlds. Oh well we can't have everything. Oops the wife awaits.

Regards

Trevor

move file .gcode from pc to usb to sdcard is possible.... but SLOW SLOW..... useless...

Hi Marcottt,

HOW???  Just for fun cos I can't find a way! SLOW SLOW is quick enough when you have all the spare time the wife will let you have.

Regards

Trevor

Cura does not support this.

Not with cura. Repetier host for example. 

Maybe better with wifi enabled sd cards 

On 6/18/2019 at 7:18 PM, marcottt said:

move file .gcode from pc to usb to sdcard is possible....

On 6/26/2019 at 2:18 PM, treereaver said:

HOW???  Just for fun cos I can't find a way!

In short: add an M28 command with the filename of your choice to the beginning of the gcode file (start script) and M29 to the end of the file (end script) and "print" it via USB.

See: http://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/M028.html

Thanks.  I'll give that a try. (just for the hell of it).

Regards

Trevor

Now I see why you guys seem to have no difficulty with SD cards!  You have a slot on the display!  Mine is a micro SD slot buried in the wiring on the mother board.  Having got a full sized SD card extension I can now shift from computer to printer quickly.  I have upgraded to Cura 4.3 which seems to have more options but the manual is very unfriendly to say the least but I will "endeavor to persevere". 

I have managed to brick my mother board but the good guys at Gucoco replaced it for me, within a week,  so my long suffering wife even remembered who I was for that week!

Regards

Trevor

OK!  I decided to use the SD card to print one of my dragons.  Modeled in  Smith Micro POSER.  It was going to be a long print! It was doing well and I thought I would get on with another job but I needed to check what my settings were in CURA 4.3.0.  BAD MISTAKE!!  As soon as Cura booted up the printer reset ruining the print!  So the only computer controlled failure I have ever had was using the SD card.  In the year I have had the printer the USB print system has never failed.  I have made mistakes and aborted prints etc etc. but never had a failure or reset in my entire operating life when printing via USB only when printing by SD. I will remember not to start CURA while printing from SD.

Regards

Trevor

5 hours ago, treereaver said:

OK!  I decided to use the SD card to print one of my dragons.  Modeled in  Smith Micro POSER.  It was going to be a long print! It was doing well and I thought I would get on with another job but I needed to check what my settings were in CURA 4.3.0.  BAD MISTAKE!!  As soon as Cura booted up the printer reset ruining the print!  So the only computer controlled failure I have ever had was using the SD card.  In the year I have had the printer the USB print system has never failed.  I have made mistakes and aborted prints etc etc. but never had a failure or reset in my entire operating life when printing via USB only when printing by SD. I will remember not to start CURA while printing from SD.

Regards

Trevor

The purpose of printing via SD card is to completely separate your printer from your computer, so they can't influence each other. Whatever you do on the computer, can't have any effect on the printer, as there is no connection. Or maybe you forgot to disconnect the USB-cable?

19 hours ago, geert_2 said:

Or maybe you forgot to disconnect the USB-cable?

Yes, I guess the printer was still connected to the PC.

So?

Nobody said remove the cable! 

I'm sorry guys but print with USB is the way to go.  Cura 4.3.0 has put it back in; so someone must find it useful.  

I printed the dragon via SD card again, it took 9 hours, and I had to baby sit the printer for the whole time, not with USB, I trust my computer!  It's now printing iron man and I've started Cura 4.3.0, to follow a video tutorial, no problem so I can't help thinking the easy way will always be the easy way.  I have one of those displays that have five buttons not a rotary encoder so scrolling through the SD menu is a nuisance to say the least. Print with USB is right on the computer's monitor in front of me I don't even have to get out of my seat.  Mind you my wife has always said my only endearing characteristic is my bone idleness.  When all is said and done I am having great fun with the printer and if I didn't have a wife I would probably marry it, it's far less fickle and a lot less noisy.  Oops gotta go she's shouting at me again.

Regards

Trevor

It is important that you are satisfied with your workflow and if it is easier for you to print via USB, then there is nothing to stop you from doing so.

You are apparently aware of the risks or have taken appropriate measures, e.g. no Windows Update will terminate your 2-day print in the middle.

So I wish many more successes with your setup and hope your wife has mercy with you. 🙂 

I think the underlying cause of the printer-interruption you experienced, is that when a computer reboots, its USB-bus is always reset. But I am not a programmer, and I don't know if attached USB-equipment is supposed to be reset too? Or is it allowed to ignore the bus-reset? An argument pro resetting is that when a device is hung-up, it is reset and freed again, one of the purposes of rebooting. But for long 3D-prints, yes it can be inconvenient...

Filament Junkie

Windows updates??  Never, ever, ever give your computer unchallenged access from the internet.  Microsoft happily wiped out several important programs when allowed to update unhindered!! Never again.  Luckily I had a full backup.  I am aware of the risks, mainly from you guys, for which I thank you.  I was ignorant of how it all worked but now have a handle on it.  This particular computer is the only one of my four that is Internet enabled.  The rest are networked to this one with the internet barred.  I also have an uninterruptible power supply for the printer and its PC.

geert_2

I didn't reboot the computer - I only started Cura 4.3.0,  I was using the version of Cura supplied with the printer which is 15.04.3, it was Cura 4.3.0 that reset the printer motherboard while I was using the SD socket to print my Dragon.  It hasn't happened again so I am a little at a loss as to why it happened the one time I needed it.

One thing I must say about all of this is simply that the help from you guys has been tremendous and after all Cura is FREE it would be a little mean to complain about a terrific piece of software that is given away "free gratis and for nothing!"  I love it and I hug my printer every night whether it is running or not, the wife not so much.

Regards

Trevor