Idea. New location for Z limit on UMO+

Posted · Idea. New location for Z limit on UMO+

Well this idea it's dead. It works for me because I can realign the bed fast but it clearly misses to hit the same spot. The error it's around 0.05-0.08 on both directions. So, I'll move the endstop to the bottom, make an adapter to avoid cutting holes and voilà.

#### ### ##... ;)

• Like 1

Well this idea it's dead. It works for me because I can realign the bed fast but it clearly misses to hit the same spot. The error it's around 0.05-0.08 on both directions. So, I'll move the endstop to the bottom, make an adapter to avoid cutting holes and voilà.

#### ### ##... ;)

Never give up, never surrender :D!

IMG_2260.thumb.JPG.2ec3297098758584434e57d8799ed11d.JPG

Updated the First post with the new V4 version, endstop at the bottom and firmware changes to make it work, and it works!

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/22120-idea-new-location-for-z-limit-on-umo

IMG_2260.thumb.JPG.2ec3297098758584434e57d8799ed11d.JPG

• Like 2

Nice job :)

Question, in ultralcd.cpp....you just paste your lines to the end of file, or it needs to be pasted in the right place ? If so, could you maybe paste your finished ultralcd.cpp to http://pastebin.com

Sure will do, but I use Amedee branch https://github.com/AmedeeBulle/Marlin/tree/Marlin_UMO_Unified

Tomorrow I upload it.

To paste the content into the file there's 3 parts of the file. Definitions where the new function names are set, menus, and the new functions.

Nice job :)

Question, in ultralcd.cpp....you just paste your lines to the end of file, or it needs to be pasted in the right place ? If so, could you maybe paste your finished ultralcd.cpp to http://pastebin.com

Sure will do, but I use Amedee branch https://github.com/AmedeeBulle/Marlin/tree/Marlin_UMO_Unified'>https://github.com/AmedeeBulle/Marlin/tree/Marlin_UMO_Unified'>https://github.com/AmedeeBulle/Marlin/tree/Marlin_UMO_Unified'>https://github.com/AmedeeBulle/Marlin/tree/Marlin_UMO_Unified

Tomorrow I upload it.

To paste the content into the file there's 3 parts of the file. Definitions where the new function names are set, menus, and the new functions.

Thx,....i downloaded the Amedee sources from https://github.com/AmedeeBulle/Marlin/tree/Marlin_UMO_Unified and couldn\t figure out where to put stuff in ultralcd.cpp

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p44hpgkdi9npz92/ultralcd.cpp?dl=0

If you search for "// Neotko was here" or "//Neotko left here" you will see where I did add each part. I edited the main post explaining that the menu part must be inside the menu_prepare, because it's an option that must be disabled once the print has started.

This is awesome, been printing with this solution now and its way better.

And since I compiled the firmware myself, I enabled babystepping aswell, so when the buildplate is level there is no need to touch the screws, just babystep the nozzle to get good first layer when the skirt is printing.

Theres time to prepare when the print starts, as the time when bed is homing, i clean the

nozzle, checks if filament is primed, check the bed surface, now there is room to inspect everything :)

If it matters, now the leadscrew gets equally 'worn' on the whole length instead of 90% wear happends on the top of the leadscrew.

Plus, I used the bottom of machine to store stuff but it looks messy, now its much cleaner since te bed always moves down.

Question, I tried a few times to adjust the buzzer on the Ulticontroller, the orginal Marlin beep is much nicer, do anyone know where in the source files you edit the buzzer ?

I edited Configuration.h and found the LCD_FEEDBACK_FREQUENCY_HZ and changed it to 2000 and 3000 and 4000 but the sound when pressing the knob is still the same.

Posted (edited) · Idea. New location for Z limit on UMO+

Oh yeah I had problem with that, give me a few hours I adjust from my trip and I post it.

Good to know you did like the mod! I also enjoy the extra time to clean the nozzle :D!

Maybe we can convince @amedee to include my mods into his fantastic firmware builder? Maybe just for the experimental branch?

Oh also babystepping it's awesome to fix th first layer Z without touching anything. I should do a video or tutorial about it, it's fantastic.

Edited by Guest

This it's what I use on configuration.h

#define LCD_FEEDBACK_FREQUENCY_HZ 5000 // this is the tone frequency the buzzer plays when on UI feedback. ie Screen Click#define LCD_FEEDBACK_FREQUENCY_DURATION_MS 2 // the duration the buzzer plays the UI feedback sound. ie Screen Click

I took this values from the Amedee builder settings

https://github.com/AmedeeBulle/Bultimaker/blob/master/bultimaker.php#L119

if ($data['beep'] == 'Marlin') {     $cmd .= ' LCD_FEEDBACK_FREQUENCY_HZ=5000 LCD_FEEDBACK_FREQUENCY_DURATION_MS=2';   }

Edited by Guest

almost working I gues, just don't understand where to copy/paste these lines:

static void lcd_init_z_adjustment();

static void lcd_prepare_info_z();

static void lcd_prepare_adjust_z();

(placed them in ultralcd.h but have no idea why i did that : )

and I get an error:

'add_homeing' was not declared in this scope.....?!

did I miss something...?!

cheers / joris

Maybe the add_homeing isn't declared on the internal variables that are listed on your firmware? What branch are you using? I used the Amedee Experimental branch to mod this, but the add_homeing should exist anyway since is the M206

Could you retrace the case 206 on your marlin to see how is named and stored that variable?

I'll try to pack my marlin modded with all the changes and up it to dropbox

@rooiejoris

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bmkq3qtu2wwqnh3/MARLIN_BULL_ZENDSTOPBOTTOMTEST_FLOW-WORKS.zip?dl=0

Just one warning, this is my custom setup, it has a 80 as minimum fanpower, it doesn't have the um2.1.4 part (it has it but there's a 'if' to remove somewhere..) and also it has my Flow improvement with 2 extra decimal points (to be able to adjust the flow 100.50% instead of a full 1% each time).

All the areas I edited have // neotko was here so they are easy to spot (I think...)

I use the githuib.com/marlinfirmware since that has the M163 included [which I need...]

I seen something like set_home_offset and home_offset, maybe it is a different name?!

Edited by Guest

tried to rename to home_offset, but then i think more is renamed

the error now is:

enquecommand_P is not declared in this scope

you can download 'my' firmware at:

https://drive.google.com/a/redpixel.nl/file/d/0B0AtBR2SVS-VZFlkMFJfX1BmNnM/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Reactivating a bit this thread...

I am not a big fan of homing at the bottom, so my plan if to use a sensor at the top, and home at 10-15mm below the hot-end.

Just some preliminary test -- In this boring video I am moving the bed 0.1mm up/down to confirm detection a the same place (I'll do further test with a gauge, but for now it works as expected)

As I want to play sure and have both suspenders and belt, I'll leave the mechanical end-stop in place, so should something happen with the sensor the bed won't go through the roof ;)

Looks very good @amedee !

So two sensors on the same spot? Or is an additional sensor connected to an extra slot on the board?

Short story: 2 sensors on the same port.

Longer version: the UMO uses NO (Normally Open) switches, so if your sensor is NO as well, you just have to connect them both in parallel on the board, they will both trigger.

In my case I have an NC sensor, so I'll rewire the switch in NC as well (using the other pin on the switch) and connect them in series so any of them will open the circuit. This requires a parameter change in the firmware (which magically appeared in the builder UI tonight 8) )

• Like 1

Progress update: I have now connected the sensor, here is the first accuracy test:

As explained above, the sensor and the switch are in series, should we have a sensor issue the plate wouldn't crash on the hot-end.

• Like 1

Everything with less than 5 steps will be ignored as move and joined with the next movement.

Actually (on z-only moves) this are 0.025mm.

It is actually "less or equal", so shortest moves are 6 steps, 0.03mm...

I think it could be cheaper to leverage optical end-stops for this purpose.

I believe they also may perform better than the normal switches as Neotko's adapter for homing at the bottom may "bend slightly" if the homing is done "too fast", thus providing inaccuracy. Your thoughts? :)

0.01 mm steps for the bed on the UMO:

• Like 2

Can you share the code you're using for the fine Adjust? :)

As usual...

But there is no wizardry here, just simple moves. It is more a mechanical test as I wanted to see if the thing was accurate enough to justify such small moves.

And it is, or at least kind of as there is some backlash with the z-screw which makes you can't really position with that accuracy. But it still can help to refine...