3 issues with my UMO+

Kadows

Posted · 3 issues with my UMO+

Hi,

I've had my UMO+ for almost a year and its barely been used since it got a bunch of problems.

Problem 1: Print quality

I get a lot of ugly lines in my prints. More in some and less in others but almost a bit in everything i print. The only things that print fine is really small things. 2x2cm. Anything bigger show these lines. I've tried changing the settings a bit but I cant find any setting that changes this.

I've also tried different PLA's. White, silver and black Ultimaker PLA, Colorfabb och some other PLA. Don't see much change there either.

I also tried to clean the printer and regularly lubricate with sewing machine oil.

OWp0Dii.jpg

f89bled.jpg

HQy4Rbv.jpg

Problem 2: Clicking noise

My x-axis have started to click a lot. I know other people have had this problem and its been the belts riding on the pulleys. I printed the alignment tool from Thingiverse and I have aligned my pulleys several times. It usually removes the sound for a while, but after an hour or so its back.

Problem 3: Rattling noise

My printer also makes a rattling noise that I don't think is normal. Its mainly the y-axis but a bit in the x-axis as well.

Does anyone have any ideas? The print quality is really bad and makes the printer not very useful. I really want it to work. :(

Thank you,

Problem 3. Probably some screw on the fan need's some 'screwing'.

Problem 2. The belts aint perfectly in alignment. https://ultimaker.com/en/community/20897-questions-after-umo-upgrade-to-gt2-belts-and-pulleys#reply-145972

Problem 1. Check that the heat of the hotend it's totally stable. If while prints it keeps constantly going up/down then you should run a PID adjustment to make it better.

Something like this (using printrun/pronterface free software to connect by USB to the printer) https://ultimaker.com/en/community/18625-solved-um2-pid-autotune-failed This it's for um2, but it's the same process for any ultimaker (and many many other printers).

For problem 2, since you already tested that, try to do that again, but also try to do the x/y calibration before fixing the pulleys. Sometimes it's a mix of both. I got tired on my ultimaker of that and the final fix was to move to a better GT2 pulley/belt, since the Ultimaker O+ pulleys (at least the ones I got on 2 machines) are pure caca with a lot of eccentricity.

Final note, sorry many post but fast writing!

I highly recommend you that you use the https://bultimaker.bulles.eu/experimental/

This unlocks the PID for the BED (removing the bangbang). This improves the layer-to-layer quality by A LOT.

First, thank you for your replies. I will look into new firmware and pulleys.

Regarding the temperature. I havent tought about it before and while looking at my printer just now I do notice that it moves a fair bit between 209-211. Swinging between. Can this be the issue?

I highly recommend you that you use the https://bultimaker.bulles.eu/experimental/

This unlocks the PID for the BED (removing the bangbang). This improves the layer-to-layer quality by A LOT.

Regarding the temperature. I havent tought about it before and while looking at my printer just now I do notice that it moves a fair bit between 209-211. Swinging between. Can this be the issue?

It might. I had some quality issues on the umo+ until fixed the pid. On 2 machines was always spot on but the third did need PID adjustment. Changing the temp changes (on some pla brands) the color/gloss/etc.

It might. I had some quality issues on the umo+ until fixed the pid. On 2 machines was always spot on but the third did need PID adjustment. Changing the temp changes (on some pla brands) the color/gloss/etc.

Do you know of a guide how to do the PID adjustment?

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/4634-pid-autotune#reply-29067

Basically you connect to the printer and send the gcode so the autotune starts to work. It will do heat cicles and at the end will report a PID values to enter by gcode and then you store the new values on the eprom by M500.

Download the printrun/pronterface software (free) http://www.pronterface.com

For the ugly print issue. Have you tried printing a circle to see if it's a "perfect" circle or not? I'm thinking it could be a bit of backlash at play here.

• Like 1