Material Change during Printing

Joko

Posted · Material Change during Printing

since i had the firmware for my ulimaker 2+ which came along with Cura 2.1.3 i am not able to change Material during Printing. (Pause - Change Material...)

The U2+ remove the Filament but when the printer should use the new Material i got in the display flickering something like "heating - cooling - heating - cooling" in a endlos circle.

So i have to shut down the printer to change the Material which is not what i want

some ideas ?

No idea what the problem is. Have not seen it before (@gr5 did ever see it?)

In the meantime you can pause and manually change material by using this:

www.youmagine.com/designs/wedgebot-for-ultimaker2

Or try the tinkergnome firmware... much more informative than the original. Google "github+tinkergnome" go to the release page and download the version for your machine. Install using the custom firmware upgrade in cura 15.xx

Tinkergnome version will likely pull over the same bug as he merges the official version with his on every(?) release. This is likely a new bug but I don't know for sure so you could try an older version. The code has not significantly changed in 2 years such that even 2 year old versions of the firmware work great. So going back one or two versions should be safe until this is fixed.

@tinkergnome - are you aware of this bug? @nallath?

I have exatly the same problem as Joko: "since i had the firmware for my ulimaker 2+ which came along with Cura 2.1.3 i am not able to change Material during Printing. (Pause - Change Material...)

The U2+ remove the Filament but when the printer should use the new Material i got in the display flickering something like "heating - cooling - heating - cooling" in a endlos circle.

So i have to shut down the printer to change the Material which is not what i want"

except for that I have an ultimaker 2

Same here. Changing while Print does not work after:

1.) Pause

2.) Change Material

3.) Ready --> Select PLA

4.) Now the Feeder should move slowly - but its only showing Cooling/Heating

20160905_133112_resized.jpg.8288b75db047c3fe83ec35a33ff328c8.jpg

Why do they don't test their Software before Release? I mean, this is a Main Function for huge Prints. I Can't make lagre Prints now until they fix this...

The first time i am very angry about Ultimaker. :(

• Like 1

Found someone else who has the same Problem:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/22340-bug-in-latest-marlin

Finally, i received an answer to my issue over the german Distributor iGo3D:

Please use the Firmware in the Cura Version 15.xx.xx meanwhie.

The Firmware-Bug of Cura 2.1.3 will be fixed in the next Cura 2 Version.

I had same issue...After printing 20hrs....

Finally I inserted filament manually from feeder and resumed.

I didn't check this issue...But tentatively solved...

Cura 2.3 problem is still there... 17h print busted

I have this problem too and although you can change the filament with a bit of grunt, it does take the magic away from the Ultimaker experience!

I've continued 17 hour prints before. Even if you lose power. First step is to get the bed back to temp asap as if the glass cools and print falls off I'd give up. Then you have hours (or days) to figure out how to continue the print. There are many tricks. Most people figure out where it failed (Z height) and then edit the gcode and delete everything below that z height (except homing?).

Another solution is to use tinkergnome marlin which lets you continue a print. But put a blanket on your print and bed first as the bed will be cooling during the upload of the new marlin.

It's not so much continuing the print, it's that the automatic filament swap is jiggered.

I've just updated the firmware to 2.3.1 and printing now with the need to change the roll in about an hour or so, so we shall see.

(fingers, toes and everything else crossed!)

Can happily report that the problem has been cured! :D:D:D

As long as it pauses then you can just change the filament manually. I don't use that auto change filament - it's easier to just use "the wedge" (on youmagine) and remove and feed by hand. You also get to feel the resistance and if there is a tiny (almost invisible) thread of filament in the bowden jamming the filament then you will notice during this step.

Same here. Changing while Print does not work after:

1.) Pause

2.) Change Material

3.) Ready --> Select PLA

4.) Now the Feeder should move slowly - but its only showing Cooling/Heating

Why do they don't test their Software before Release? I mean, this is a Main Function for huge Prints. I Can't make lagre Prints now until they fix this...

The first time i am very angry about Ultimaker.  :(

I have the same with both of my 2+ printers.

I have the same with both of my 2+ printers.

Good to hear Jockspice, can you share with us, how you did it?

1 hour ago, RvS said:

Good to hear Jockspice, can you share with us, how you did it?

It was sorted out by updating the firmware.  I have since moved on from stock to using the Tinker firmware.

Thanks for sharing Jock?, figured it out when I scrolled up? Let my colleague connect the printer to his computer, and see what Cura can do for us. Recent printer delivered rolling on 2.6.2 already?, so probably Cura will offer 2.3.1 or more recent?