Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Joko

Material Change during Printing

since i had the firmware for my ulimaker 2+ which came along with Cura 2.1.3 i am not able to change Material during Printing. (Pause - Change Material...)

The U2+ remove the Filament but when the printer should use the new Material i got in the display flickering something like "heating - cooling - heating - cooling" in a endlos circle.

So i have to shut down the printer to change the Material which is not what i want

some ideas ?

No idea what the problem is. Have not seen it before (@gr5 did ever see it?)

In the meantime you can pause and manually change material by using this:

www.youmagine.com/designs/wedgebot-for-ultimaker2

Or try the tinkergnome firmware... much more informative than the original. Google "github+tinkergnome" go to the release page and download the version for your machine. Install using the custom firmware upgrade in cura 15.xx

Tinkergnome version will likely pull over the same bug as he merges the official version with his on every(?) release. This is likely a new bug but I don't know for sure so you could try an older version. The code has not significantly changed in 2 years such that even 2 year old versions of the firmware work great. So going back one or two versions should be safe until this is fixed.

@tinkergnome - are you aware of this bug? @nallath?

I have exatly the same problem as Joko: "since i had the firmware for my ulimaker 2+ which came along with Cura 2.1.3 i am not able to change Material during Printing. (Pause - Change Material...)

The U2+ remove the Filament but when the printer should use the new Material i got in the display flickering something like "heating - cooling - heating - cooling" in a endlos circle.

So i have to shut down the printer to change the Material which is not what i want"

except for that I have an ultimaker 2

Same here. Changing while Print does not work after:

1.) Pause

2.) Change Material

3.) Ready --> Select PLA

4.) Now the Feeder should move slowly - but its only showing Cooling/Heating

20160905_133112_resized.jpg.8288b75db047c3fe83ec35a33ff328c8.jpg

Why do they don't test their Software before Release? I mean, this is a Main Function for huge Prints. I Can't make lagre Prints now until they fix this...

The first time i am very angry about Ultimaker. :(

• Like 1

I've continued 17 hour prints before. Even if you lose power. First step is to get the bed back to temp asap as if the glass cools and print falls off I'd give up. Then you have hours (or days) to figure out how to continue the print. There are many tricks. Most people figure out where it failed (Z height) and then edit the gcode and delete everything below that z height (except homing?).

Another solution is to use tinkergnome marlin which lets you continue a print. But put a blanket on your print and bed first as the bed will be cooling during the upload of the new marlin.

As long as it pauses then you can just change the filament manually. I don't use that auto change filament - it's easier to just use "the wedge" (on youmagine) and remove and feed by hand. You also get to feel the resistance and if there is a tiny (almost invisible) thread of filament in the bowden jamming the filament then you will notice during this step.

Same here. Changing while Print does not work after:

1.) Pause

2.) Change Material

3.) Ready --> Select PLA

4.) Now the Feeder should move slowly - but its only showing Cooling/Heating

Why do they don't test their Software before Release? I mean, this is a Main Function for huge Prints. I Can't make lagre Prints now until they fix this...

The first time i am very angry about Ultimaker.  :(

I have the same with both of my 2+ printers.