Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
andrew-caird

Beware of buying a Fuel3D scanner. Major price hike on necessary software

Today they released a new version of the software for the fuel 3d scanner. The previous version could not do proper off line scanning and you had to use the cloud (a maximum of 5 times unless you contact them, wait 3 days (as I did) to have them extend that number). They now have incorporated the new engine into the offline version but have also substantially increased the price. To add the ability to extrude, smooth the model and fix holes (something you'd thing would be standard) costs around US$200 per month (up from I think US$65 per month). To buy the software so that the US$2000 scanner you bought can have basic functionality costs US$5600, almost 3 times the hardware, and that's the basic version. Advanced costs US$7000. I'm in Australia which only just recently lost parity with the US$ and the software costs me $10,000. Truly, my advice, stay away from the Fuel3D until they get their act together. The results are OK with major caviets (it can only scan up to an A4 sheet of paper and only around 7cm depth) it is impossible to do a 360 degree scan (no matter what they tell you) and even if you could you'd need more than 6 scans which means you have to pay US$200 per month (even then I've never managed to get a decent 360 scan). For a project that started off as a kickstarter I'm surprised not more people are angry. I've contacted them today to find out how they justify the cost (Scanect is just over 1% of the total cost and does more) and will update once I have an answer. Not happy Jan.

I have been using Meshmixer for extrusion (which is a major pain having to keep switching between software for what is such a simple task). In order to do a 360 degree scan you need at least 6 to 8 scans around the object plus a couple around the top (sometimes a couple around the bottom depending on if there is an overhang you need to get into the scan). With the basic Fuel 3D package you can't do it as it only allows for up to 6 scan stitching. You have to pay US$200 per month in order to do a 360 degree scan over and above the cost of the hardware, up 300% from last week.

Edited by Guest

I agree with TeddyNotBear, We are a 3D printing and 3D scanning services company and we mostly use Artec spider. Its expensive but really worth it. It totally depends on what anyone is willing to spend and of course, if its for professional or personal us.

Regards,

Shab

Custom Prototypes