Feeder solution for UM2 for filaments 1,75mm

Posted · Feeder solution for UM2 for filaments 1,75mm

The change it's done on the machine, forever.

To remove the change you need to reset factory settings 'on the machine'.

OK. But then again I opened CURA and loaded like a normal print.

It is correct what I did?

• Replies 64
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think something it's lost on translation...

Esteps it's a setting of the printer, it has nothing to do on cura. The gcode you made you must open it on the printer.

I realized that I need more speed of the feeder, I need the thread nell'hotend push more quickly for that reason I underextrusion I helped I manually pushing the wire while the feeder was in action and saw that the stream was fine , what I could do because it was the first tier one who adheres to the print flat and I already saw a lot sottoestrusione while in the corners where there was need less material I had no problem.

I think something it's lost on translation...

Esteps it's a setting of the printer, it has nothing to do on cura. The gcode you made you must open it on the printer.

I open Pronterface, Connect with USB cable to the printer and then how can I load the file that I created before? What are the procedures to be followed with pronterface?

It does not explain how to use the software to update the firmware.

It is super simple, just put the file on a SD card, then put the SD card in the slot on the printer and "print" the file...

• Like 1

It is super simple, just put the file on a SD card, then put the SD card in the slot on the printer and "print" the file...

Thank you!

I wanted to know from you because you too have made the conversion to the filaments from 1,75mm how you solved the feeder, because I have big problems of underextrusion, now I hope to solve with this latest update.

Yeah, underextrusion is what you get with the wrong e-steps setting, since the feeder feeds to little filament in this case... That is why you need to set the e-steps setting and calibrate it correctly.

Yeah, underextrusion is what you get with the wrong e-steps setting, since the feeder feeds to little filament in this case... That is why you need to set the e-steps setting and calibrate it correctly.

Perfect! Thank you!

I have done as you say, I put the file in the SD card and then I did print!

But I launched a print and still have underextrusion.

I increased the material flow up to 120% and now goes well, I think I still have to improve ESTEP.

How did you calculate the ESTEP?

Thank you neotko!

After changing the value of the feeder ESTEP the underextrusion problems have decreased a lot, almost gone.

I am left with the question of what values set for retraction during printing.

Why now do not go out of acceptable prints, too wires, length values and speed of retraction is not adequate.

Who can help me.ritrazione.thumb.jpg.23e3b3e7205bec41f975921924fb11f5.jpg

ritrazione.thumb.jpg.23e3b3e7205bec41f975921924fb11f5.jpg

20160919_112944.thumb.jpg.00961ca9cdf4758b398e616bd19c2d30.jpg

Torri.thumb.jpg.24336e0b7e1a12abe55ddfe0eed76d9b.jpg

They are always under-extrusion, there is never enough nell'hotend material during the printing process.

20160919_112944.thumb.jpg.00961ca9cdf4758b398e616bd19c2d30.jpg

Torri.thumb.jpg.24336e0b7e1a12abe55ddfe0eed76d9b.jpg

Just a silly question... The nozzles you are using are for 1.75mm or are you using 3mm nozzles?

Also, you need to calibrate the esteps, fine tunning. I left you a video on one of the posts you did with a tutorial video.

Just a silly question... The nozzles you are using are for 1.75mm or are you using 3mm nozzles?

Also, you need to calibrate the esteps, fine tunning. I left you a video on one of the posts you did with a tutorial video.

I'm using the nozzles of 1.75 mm.

I will modifcato the ESTEP like you said to me.

I inserted the file on the SD card and then from the printer display or clicked printing.

Sorry but you need to learn how to FINE tune the Esteps after using that number as 'starting point'

https://www.google.es/search?q=calibrazione+3d+steps+italian

Sorry but you need to learn how to FINE tune the Esteps after using that number as 'starting point'

https://www.google.es/search?q=calibrazione+3d+steps+italian

OK Thanks!

But you have a page which explains directly for a Ultimaker2?

Which describes step by step how to do it on a Ultimaker2

Because there are many search results in google but no shows how to make specifically on a ultimaker2.

Also I would like to understand what software to use to interface with the firmware, to change the parameters, each speaks of different software, which one to use?

Which one to use for my Ultimaker2?

I have inserted the SD card, and I clicked on the press to make changes to ESTEP.

The problem of under-extrusion remains.20160919_122125.thumb.jpg.8f8208a290b1202d9471d604964266ba.jpg

20160919_122125.thumb.jpg.8f8208a290b1202d9471d604964266ba.jpg

The gcode you made write information on the printer. If you change the values it will change the Esteps.

Edit the file, adjust the estep value and use it again.

To find the value that works for you follow any of the million help guides.

You need to orde the printer to move X amount of filament, then you need to check how much in reality it moved, then you calculate using a simple rule of three.

I told you looong ago to use printrun to 'talk' to the printer by usb. Easiest solution to change esteps it's to use tinkergnome firmware. But that, as all this, isn't easy.

You are modding the machine, there's no manual for that. Specially if you never did that.

Like most computer related things there are 10 ways to do something.

ONE way to update esteps is to write a gcode file, put it on SD card and PRINT the file.

Another way is to connect the printer to a computer through USB cable, run pronterface and enter the same gcodes by hand in pronterface. This is much easier as you can adjust the value 10 times in 2 minutes. Also pronterface tells you the current values of steps/mm for all your axes before you change anything.

A third way is to get the tinkerMarlin firmware which is MUCH BETTER than the regular firmware. In tinkerMarlin there is a menu that lets you adjust steps for all your steppers directly. and you can see their current values.

The best way to pick the correct value is *not* to measure any diameters of anything. Just tell retract the filament so it is in the bowden but near the feeder. Extrude 100mm. Measure with calipers. Determine error and adjust steps/mm. for example if it moved 110mm then that is 10% too much and you need to reduces steps/mm by 10%.

Like most computer related things there are 10 ways to do something.

ONE way to update esteps is to write a gcode file, put it on SD card and PRINT the file.

Another way is to connect the printer to a computer through USB cable, run pronterface and enter the same gcodes by hand in pronterface.  This is much easier as you can adjust the value 10 times in 2 minutes.  Also pronterface tells you the current values of steps/mm for all your axes before you change anything.

A third way is to get the tinkerMarlin firmware which is MUCH BETTER than the regular firmware.  In tinkerMarlin there is a menu that lets you adjust steps for all your steppers directly.  and you can see their current values.

The best way to pick the correct value is *not* to measure any diameters of anything.  Just tell retract the filament so it is in the bowden but near the feeder.  Extrude 100mm.  Measure with calipers.  Determine error and adjust steps/mm.  for example if it moved 110mm then that is 10% too much and you need to reduces steps/mm by 10%.

Thanks!

but Can you explain better how to do just about the best solution you have proposed to me at the end.

As I say extrusion of 100mm?

And then how to increase the value found the error?

The gcode you made write information on the printer. If you change the values it will change the Esteps.

Edit the file, adjust the estep value and use it again.

To find the value that works for you follow any of the million help guides.

You need to orde the printer to move X amount of filament, then you need to check how much in reality it moved, then you calculate using a simple rule of three.

I told you looong ago to use printrun to 'talk' to the printer by usb. Easiest solution to change esteps it's to use tinkergnome firmware. But that, as all this, isn't easy.

You are modding the machine, there's no manual for that. Specially if you never did that.

If I follow this procedure and install the firmware then how can I change the parameters ESTEP and others to solve my problems?

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/11474-tinker-firmware

If you have a UM2 then lets go with the tinkergnome solution then. This is really not hard. I feel like I'm explaining how to shift from first gear to second in a car.

It would help if your profile said what printer you had because if you have a UMO then I just wasted 5 minutes!

First go here and choose the version of firmware that matches your machine. Do not choose "UM2plus" as the feeder will rotate the wrong direction. Unless that's what you have (the geared extruder). Choose the firmware that EXACTLY matches your: printer dimesnsions, board (UMO has ramps board, UMO+ has different circuit board), heated bed, temp sensors.

Connect printer to computer.

In cura 14.X or 15.X go to "Machine" menu "Install Custom firmware...". Tell cura where you donwloaded the tinkermarlin firmware. You can always go back to your standard firmware using cura if something goes wrong.

It takes 1 or 2 minutes to install. If the lights don't blink and a loud "thunk" noise in the first 3 seconds of "install firmware" then something is wrong - try a different USB cable or a different computer.

After you have tinkerMarlin running go to "MOVE" menu. Spin the knob backwards so you can see the filament leaving the machine. You may have to heat the nozzle - that's in the same MOVE menu. At some point maybe make a mark with pen on the bowden where the filament is. Then rotate the knob and move foreward exactly 100mm on the display. Then measure with caliper how far filament moved.

The steps/mm is burried in the "motion control" menu. go to advanced I think, just keep looking around for "motion control" and there is an option for steps/mm. Inside there you can change the steps/mm for any of the steppers. If you don't hit SAVE you will lose the setting the next time you power cycle the ultimaker.