Did anyone try the new Advanced 3D Printing Kit?

avogra

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Did anyone try the new Advanced 3D Printing Kit?

Oh! interesting! Didn't know each side was different. I just assumed that warning was there because the sticker could cause a slight bulge being wedged on the heated bed.

Almost all my stickers on the bed are gone. :/

Hello Sander,

Did one side of the glass plate get a special surface treatment to get different specs? And if so, which one, and why exactly (in chemical/physical properties)? Having a better understanding could help in case of other adhesion problems too.

So I just spent a very scientific 20 minutes sprinkling and spraying water on both sides of my glass plate. Not sure is this qualifies as "the water test," but it does seem like there is some repeatable difference between the two sides.

I still am not 100% on it though. When I sprinkled water on both sides they seemed to behave just about the same, which makes sense as they are literally either side of the same piece of glass. What was interesting though was when I ran each side under the sink and let the water run off.

The side with the sticker shed the water much faster and more cleanly than the side without. I tried it several times and it was repeatable. I had also cleaned both sides with windex and a microfiber cloth before hand.

I tried taking some pictures, but it was pretty difficult to communicate. Like I said, I'm still not 100% on this and would appreciate someone else foolish enough to give it a shot.

IMG_8228.thumb.JPG.b0458ca5bb29a3e7e440c0f59b36cadf.JPG

IMG_8229.thumb.JPG.10bdf6b87e2315da70c68de346e0192c.JPG

IMG_8230.thumb.JPG.75fa078e3e95c9c74da18107b91a5b80.JPG

IMG_8231.thumb.JPG.fc322a6b0a54c03aed55f33a158203c2.JPG

IMG_8228.thumb.JPG.b0458ca5bb29a3e7e440c0f59b36cadf.JPG

IMG_8229.thumb.JPG.10bdf6b87e2315da70c68de346e0192c.JPG

IMG_8230.thumb.JPG.75fa078e3e95c9c74da18107b91a5b80.JPG

IMG_8231.thumb.JPG.fc322a6b0a54c03aed55f33a158203c2.JPG

I think it does depend on how old your printer is as I'm sure it's only on newer printers.

Let me find out for you :)

any updates on this? :)

Let me find out for you :)

any updates on this? :)

yes.. especially since the support statements i got from Ultimaker from when I bought my UM2 was that you could just flip the glass plate if you got damage :)

@Korneel you know you're always double posting your replies? :D

How about we can settle for half an update? ;)

What I can tell you is that in the current manufacturing process the glass, while floating on water, is being hardened by 3 torches from the top side, while the other side remains cooled. This results in 1 'processed' side, and one 'normal' side.

The part I didn't get a clear answer on yet is, when this change exactly happened. Kinda implying, that this way of manufacturing was different from, for example, when you got your UM2 Korneel.

Just keeping us moderator's busy ;)
    • Like 1

I know.. Sander knows.. and it's super easy to now ramp up my posts :)

@sandervg, awesome that sounds like a good answer.

I know.. Sander knows.. and it's super easy to now ramp up my posts :)

@sandervg, awesome that sounds like a good answer.

also, this seems to not be a double post!

Ow yes, you did it again ;)

AYTpWh1.png

Yeah @korneel I been deleting lots of your double posts this week XD I just assumed was related to some temporal bug and didn't bother me much.

Yeah @korneel I been deleting lots of your double posts this week XD I just assumed was related to some temporal bug and didn't bother me much.

yeah.. it has something to do with a new version of Edge and the forum software.. SandervG is on it.

@valcrow

can you please post a photo of the sheet which shows the back of it?

Hello,

First time posting on the forum. I have UM2+ that I have been playing with for about a month. I tried out the adhesion sheets with PLA and had similar problems as above with too much adhesion. The part had a fairly large footprint and it simply would not release. Eventually I was able to scrape the part off.

Is a water soak the best option for removing the damaged sheet (and adhesive)? I tried acetone, IPA, and goo-gone with mixed results. Eventually I was able to remove most of it but it took a lot of time and plenty of elbow grease. Is there a "recommended" procedure for removing the sheets?

The heat sticker actually indicated the best adhesive surface of your bed.

It has two different sides: a hydrophilic and a hydrophobic side. The hydrophilic side is suitable for printing on, this is indicated with the warning sticker. Printing on the other side may affect your bed adhesion. So it could be an idea to put it on the other side, where there is no sticker?

If you have lost your sticker, you can check which side is which by putting some water on the plate. On the hydrophilic side the water sticks together, whereas on the hydrophobic side the water disperses.

This is news to me.. been lucky always keep the sticker side up. Maybe do some etching on the down side that won't ever come off?

Ed

The sheets are clear laser labels from avery. http://www.avery.ae/product/L7567-25?language_id=13

The sheets are clear laser labels from avery. http://www.avery.ae/product/L7567-25?language_id=13

Hi there,

I do not know if that is true or not. But it is certainly an interesting idea to try! :)

What makes you think the sheets are the Avery labels?

Thanks.

• Like 1

I got my advanced 3d printing kit today. IMG_0215.thumb.JPG.a38167805e0132ae46cca8ae9615c140.JPG

IMG_0215.thumb.JPG.a38167805e0132ae46cca8ae9615c140.JPG

• Like 1

I got my advanced 3d printing kit today. IMG_0215.thumb.JPG.a38167805e0132ae46cca8ae9615c140.JPG

Ha! Well there you go then! Thanks! :D