Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Gnevko

Filament for Greenhouse projects?

Hi, people!

I have a small greenhouse (something like 6 m2) and of course I what to print some useful stuff for it. It can be housings for sensors, plant's support and so on.

The question is what filament is the best for those tasks? It should be UV resistent, heat-resistant (up to 80C) and of course durable. From other hand it should be easy to print (as much as possible) with UMO+.

What is your suggestion?

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Guest

ABS is the cheapest, but hard to print.

The best is probably PLA-TEC, it prints like PLA, but is heat resistant till over 100celsius.

You can also try Colorfabb XT or nGen, but that has a bit lower heat resistance.

There are a few manufacturers of PLA-TEC ot there, like for example;

http://two-bears.eu//index.php?k=44

@neotko what was the brands again you used?

There are also some PLA's that need a treatment in the oven after printing to become heat resistant. I personally find that to much trouble....

Edited by Guest

@ultiarjan I get them at extrudr.eu but is actually cheaper (and you get a free delivery) to do it through 3djake, also I won't know why extrudr.eu doesn't allow for European VAT... But that's another history.. Yea I use that one :D

Also I did read something about a filament that's like ABS but special for UV, I think is called 'ASA' formfutura has a few varieties that they sell with others names. I haven't tested that ones since I hate ABS, but that also might work.

Good thing about pla-tec is that, as far as I was able to dig into other makers in usa, is made from potatoes, and is actually compostable.

Hi there,

Yes, my understanding is ASA is ABS with a UV protectant mixed in.

Another approach for UV protection is to print in anything heat resistant then (spray) paint on a UV protectant coating (polyurethane? or just some Krylon paint or something). This is a common practice with plain ABS, I believe, and you can get something suitable at any hardware store.

But, ASA might be easier! Then again, ABS/ASA warps, so printing in a high temp PLA or PET and coating it might be less frustration.

Anyway, just some thoughts. Hope it helps. :)