Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Filament for Greenhouse projects?

Recommended Posts

Hi, people!

I have a small greenhouse (something like 6 m2) and of course I what to print some useful stuff for it. It can be housings for sensors, plant's support and so on.

The question is what filament is the best for those tasks? It should be UV resistent, heat-resistant (up to 80C) and of course durable. From other hand it should be easy to print (as much as possible) with UMO+.

What is your suggestion?

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Guest

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

ABS is the cheapest, but hard to print.

The best is probably PLA-TEC, it prints like PLA, but is heat resistant till over 100celsius.

You can also try Colorfabb XT or nGen, but that has a bit lower heat resistance.

There are a few manufacturers of PLA-TEC ot there, like for example;


@neotko what was the brands again you used?

There are also some PLA's that need a treatment in the oven after printing to become heat resistant. I personally find that to much trouble....

Edited by Guest

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

@ultiarjan I get them at extrudr.eu but is actually cheaper (and you get a free delivery) to do it through 3djake, also I won't know why extrudr.eu doesn't allow for European VAT... But that's another history.. Yea I use that one :D

Also I did read something about a filament that's like ABS but special for UV, I think is called 'ASA' formfutura has a few varieties that they sell with others names. I haven't tested that ones since I hate ABS, but that also might work.

Good thing about pla-tec is that, as far as I was able to dig into other makers in usa, is made from potatoes, and is actually compostable.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there,

Yes, my understanding is ASA is ABS with a UV protectant mixed in.

Another approach for UV protection is to print in anything heat resistant then (spray) paint on a UV protectant coating (polyurethane? or just some Krylon paint or something). This is a common practice with plain ABS, I believe, and you can get something suitable at any hardware store.

But, ASA might be easier! Then again, ABS/ASA warps, so printing in a high temp PLA or PET and coating it might be less frustration.

Anyway, just some thoughts. Hope it helps. :)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Our picks

    • Ultimaker Cura | a new interface
      We're not only trying to always make Ultimaker Cura better with the usual new features and improvements we build, but we're also trying to make it more pleasant to operate. The interface was the focus for the upcoming release, from which we would already like to present you the first glance. 
        • Like
      • 114 replies
    • "Back To The Future" using Generative Design & Investment Casting
      Designing for light-weight parts is becoming more important, and I’m a firm believer in the need to produce lighter weight, less over-engineered parts for the future. This is for sustainability reasons because we need to be using less raw materials and, in things like transportation, it impacts the energy usage of the product during it’s service life.
        • Like
      • 12 replies

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!