Using other filaments in Cura then present in droplist

Snipper

Posted · Using other filaments in Cura then present in droplist

First of all: I am an unexperienced (2 weeks) 3D printer operator

Had already good results with Polymax PLA, but.....

Now I want to apply PET filament in my Ultimaker 2+ but cannot find it in de Cura Material drop list.

What do I have to do to make printing with “correct” print parameters for PET possible?

Is there any way to add materials in that Material droplist?

Hi @Snipper,

welcome to the forums! Happened to read your description on your profile and saw you were working on RC airplanes. Cool! Have you already printed some parts?

Even took it out for a flight maybe?

Where did you get the PET? Does the supplier provide any information for your print-settings?

Alternatively, perhaps this thread might give you some insights.

Good luck!

Posted (edited) · Using other filaments in Cura then present in droplist

Hi Sander,

Glad I’m in the community now and be able to learn from all that input!

To answer your questions

No, because still being in the middle of building, even somewhere redesigning it, but it will get 3d printed parts, created in Inventor (Autodesk)

And the still unused PET I have in da house is the refil recycled (yes!!!) filament.

In the meantime off waiting on the first reply (was yours, THANKS!) I already learned more of using PET, which seems to be not very easy. But we will learn, 0.75kg to spend!

Might it be that you know of better PET(G) than please let me know, for my applications are mostly of a technical nature with high demands, I am glad to be able to use a 0.25mm nozzle and 0.04mm layer thickness!!! With Polymax PLA very good results with small parts (as far as I can judge)

Thanks again!

PS

I hope I uploaded view sample correctly (also first time)

Edited by SandervG
    broken link

Hi Snipper,

Thank you for your reply.

I removed the view sample you added, because it was a broken link.

If you copy the embed link and paste it here, it should automatically open the preview like this:

(just an example print)

Well, if you are looking for materials with specific abilities, you should also check out our range of filaments. Besides the regular PLA and ABS, we also offer Nylon and PC. Depending on what you need exactly they could be interesting to explore. There are specification sheets available if you want.

I happen to also have a reel of PET at home from ReFil, but I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet.

I would actually advice to start with the regular 0.4mm nozzle. Especially if you just start 3D Printing. The 0.25mm nozzle requires a different profile, because a smaller nozzle will be able of doing less volume, which influences your settings. Most advice you will find will refer to 0.4mm nozzle. Plus, it is a little bit more forgiving.

In layerthickness, I would also suggest to go for 0.06 if you want a really high surface quality. You can also achieve this with the 0.4mm nozzle. On the naked eye it is really difficult to tell the difference between, for example, 0.04 and 0.06 while it adds time and complexity. (the finer the layers, the more accurate your settings need to be).

The 0.25mm nozzle is particularly interesting if you want to print small intricate parts, not perse in a high resolution in Z.

Good luck! :)

Hi Sander,

Because you are an Ultimaker team member I would really like to here from you if you know one or more sources of knowledge concerning the new 0.15mm Nozzle which is now available (e.g. how to set or instal this Nozzle dimension in the UM2+?).

Or must I create a profile, derived from 0.25 and configure the parameters ~proportionally to 0,15mm?

I would like to do tests with this 0.15mm for very tiny (with demanding dimensional tolerances) parts for real technical use in, say shaver sized appliances.

Thanks in advance for your appreciated reply!!!

John

Hi John,

Good to hear from you.

I think the best source would be here on the forums. Just checked, looks like 3D Solex site is offline for maintenance so no help there (atm).

Just changing the nozzle diameter can and should be done in Cura, depending on which version you use you should look for line width or nozzle diameter.

But if you go to a 0.15mm nozzle, that is not the only thing you should change. You should be really accurate with the temperature you'll use, and the flowrate. At this size, over extrusion is likely to happen.

You probably realize print times will be through the roof, but the results can be equally impressive. But printing with such a nozzle and the corresponding print profile is for experts. If you are not sure, you could ask around here on the forums if people have used it already.

I saw @Gr5 sells it, so maybe he has some specific tips?

@Snipper you simply tell Cura your nozzle size. Or if you have Cura 2.3 I guess you have to set the "line width" to the nozzle size.

@Snipper you simply tell Cura your nozzle size.  Or if you have Cura 2.3 I guess you have to set the "line width" to the nozzle size.

Hi @gr5,

Thanks for your reply.

Having Cura 2.3 it seems to be inpossible to add ("tell Cura" as you wrote) another Nozzle Diameter.

See my Screenshot

5a3324194d001_ScreenshotPrintSetupCura.thumb.png.a35ec38aab56b2cd1e6f0da1441ba160.png

I 'd like to know the options of configurating Cura before buying 0.15 Nozzles

Do you mean that I have to create a new Profile, based on 0.25, with a lot of Params configured (by method of try and error ) to get good results with 0.15?

(to know for sure what you meant...)

If so I will do that, pending a next update of Cura with 0.15 added to the droplist.........

PS

@SandervG replied "...print times will be through the roof..." but I only want to print very small parts with this Nozzle, at night, during my Cryo-sleep;):p

Greetz

5a3324194d001_ScreenshotPrintSetupCura.thumb.png.a35ec38aab56b2cd1e6f0da1441ba160.png